• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I know this thread is old, and maybe this is the wrong place but, does the "soft-coil" recoil reducing technology actually make any sense? Doesnt every action have an equal and opposite reaction? I dont understand how slowing down the release of the gasses actually reduces recoil. It seems like it would have equal or greater recoil and wear down those components of your gun quickly. Its 2017 now how are your ccps holding up?

yes, obviously "equal and opposite reaction" applies but how the reaction is applied matters. Most small guns are very snappy and not fun to shoot due to the low mass. With the CCP it's more gradual and feels like the recoil from a full-size gun even though it's small and light with a light recoil spring. To put it another way, my wife has no trouble racking the slide and at the same time, shooting defensive-load 9mm doesn't beat her up... in a gun that looks proportional on her 100 lb frame and fits comfortably in her hands.

Sorry, I can't explain it when but I'll give it a shot: As for how it works: so a straight blowback gun is 100% force-counterforce. tilting barrel lockup guns break up the felt recoil by initially moving the slide and barrel, then stopping the barrel while the slide continues so the recoil is actually stepped/gradual. gas delayed blowback is more like the latter but through a different method. while the bullet is in the barrel, the gas pressure pushes backwards on the casing and slide, as well as forward on the gas piston (but it's smaller and ported so less force), once the bullet leaves the barrel the pressure drops to where it doesn't push the slide back. Meanwhile there's still more force pushing back than forward plus inertia from the initial shove to cycle the slide but requiring a much softer recoil spring to handle it. Additionally, once the piston gets past the port, the bottom of the cylinder is closed off and it acts like a pneumatic buffer to keep the slide from bottoming out as hard (you still can but there's more leeway)

I found myself an HK P7M8 (older, same idea but much better execution) and my wife doesn't get to the range nearly as much so I can't claim anything on round count but we haven't had any trouble.

Last edited:

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I bought one of these last year for the old lady.

She couldn't pull back the slide on most of my guns and this one is super easy. The softer recoil really helps too. It's more ergonomic in smaller hands and she could reach all the controls. She shot 50rds at the range and didn't even complain once. Actually seemed to enjoy it.

....and I don't think she's touched it since.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I have one in the 8000 range serial number and never had a bit of problems with it like it so much that I have another one in the 40000 serial number and have recommended this gun to a few of my friends. They also like the weapon. I never had a problem with ether one of the pistols. They are fun to shoot and don't wear out your hand. Cleaning it is no problem which it does get real dirty I use break cleaner on the slide and a air hoes to blow it out. On the bottom side just wipe it out and a small amount of lub. Pay attention to the piston and port to keep it dry no lube in this area it comes with a wire brush to clean the port. After about three time the take down is a lot easier first couple you will want to throw it out the window. I use Critical Defense in both of them and like the shell very much.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I have recently replaced the PPK that has been my daily carry for 10 years with a Talo version of the Walther CCP. Yes, the felt recoil is much less; but, what attracted me is the fact that it is crazy accurate and feels good in the hand.

I also like the thumb safety. I won't carry a firearm that doesn't have a safety.

And as far as the high-capacity debate goes, well I think Jeff Cooper put it best:

“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce’s answer was, “Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot.” The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine. It is all the rage, of course, and like dual air bags, it is a popular current sales gimmick.”

Here is a great explanation of how the CCP works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd6yiyYm63o

Last edited:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I bought one of these last year for the old lady.

She couldn't pull back the slide on most of my guns and this one is super easy. The softer recoil really helps too. It's more ergonomic in smaller hands and she could reach all the controls. She shot 50rds at the range and didn't even complain once. Actually seemed to enjoy it.

....and I don't think she's touched it since.

Gee, sounds familiar...

I have one in the 8000 range serial number and never had a bit of problems with it like it so much that I have another one in the 40000 serial number and have recommended this gun to a few of my friends. They also like the weapon. I never had a problem with ether one of the pistols. They are fun to shoot and don't wear out your hand. Cleaning it is no problem which it does get real dirty I use break cleaner on the slide and a air hoes to blow it out. On the bottom side just wipe it out and a small amount of lub. Pay attention to the piston and port to keep it dry no lube in this area it comes with a wire brush to clean the port. After about three time the take down is a lot easier first couple you will want to throw it out the window. I use Critical Defense in both of them and like the shell very much.

yea, they really dropped the ball on the take-down process. It isn't horrible once you get the hang of it (I've used just about everything on my workbench, including 9mm brass, at some point) but jeez.

Top Bottom