• spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My very fortunate wife just got her early birthday present:
    1545794_10205855016073367_3174395000882468841_n.jpg
    2005 VW Golf GLS TDI turbo diesel 5 speed. 108 k miles, plus all the goodies - heated seats, Monsoon sound, moon roof, electric everything, roof rack, fully adjustable seats and steering wheel, 2 keys (they are not cheap). Gets over 50 mpg highway, and is adaptable to use vegetable oil in addition to the usual diesel and B20 biodiesel. Another alternative fuel vehicle to go along with our fully electric 1986 Honda Civic wagon. Her favorite - it's not another Geo.
    Lots of extras thrown in by the seller - extra light bulbs, two spare alloy wheels, full suspension parts, new extra brake rotors all around, winter fuel additive, spare steering wheel, several dollars in change in the ash trays.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are you a good mechanic and/or "body guy"? Know one?

I'd imagine the engine itself will be OK for a long time.

But I also bet that a ton of other ancillary stuff on that car will need costly repairs in the next few years.

I hope I'm wrong.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why would you think that?

Because in my experience of having watched a few friends go through all kinds of trouble with their VWs. Yes, it's anecdotal.

And in the same vein on why I can't ever see myself paying for a Chrysler product...even though I know that the newer/newest stuff is considerably better than they were in the 90s and early 2000s. MY experience tells me to stay away.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The guy we got it from fixes VWs on the side, and had been driving this regularly for two years. He spent a LONG time telling me what might need work soon (not much) and what he did recently. And yes, I do my own repairs as much as possible, up to and including complete engine overhauls. Keeping two 200K plus Geos on the road is getting old. It's about time I get to work on something well-made.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Because in my experience of having watched a few friends go through all kinds of trouble with their VWs. Yes, it's anecdotal.

And in the same vein on why I can't ever see myself paying for a Chrysler product...even though I know that the newer/newest stuff is considerably better than they were in the 90s and early 2000s. MY experience tells me to stay away.

If I had the same experiences as you have had I would agree with you on that 100%. Though I have had nothing but positive experiences with VWs and actually Chryslers also. Different strokes for different folks.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The guy we got it from fixes VWs on the side, and had been driving this regularly for two years. He spent a LONG time telling me what might need work soon (not much) and what he did recently. And yes, I do my own repairs as much as possible, up to and including complete engine overhauls. Keeping two 200K plus Geos on the road is getting old. It's about time I get to work on something well-made.

Well, I'm now relieved. :D

If I had the same experiences as you have had I would agree with you on that 100%. Though I have had nothing but positive experiences with VWs and actually Chryslers also. Different strokes for different folks.

One of my problems with Chrysler (97 Concorde I bought used...) was that I bought a used Chrysler Concorde. I knew better. My fault. The other issue was with a work vehicle - seals in/around the rear diff went out and allowed water in. It was repaired before any major damage was done, though I don't know how. That particular van had the 303 V-8. Ran like a scared deer.

Top Bottom