• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have attended many New Year celebrations over decades and even sang Auld Lang Syne a few times. I was thinking about the whole fallacy of a New Year is somehow a restart. Reality just does not pan out;

Any illness or weakness (including old age) that you have today will be with you tomorrow.

Any bad relationships you are in today will be the same tomorrow.

Any debt you have today will still be due tomorrow with even more interest.

Any bad government that you have today will still be freedom and money sucking parasites tomorrow.

In Western culture, we do not have the year of Jubilee like the early Jews. If they had lost their family land and the wealth it brings due to financial hardships, they get it back debt free in the 7th year, giving them a chance to learn and do right next time. THAT would be a lot closer to what we pretend to celebrate.

Our New Year is really just an excuse to have a celebration. I guess there is not much harm in that, sans a hangover.

Live every day right, this is not a rehearsal.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have attended many New Year celebrations over decades and even sang Auld Lang Syne a few times. I was thinking about the whole fallacy of a New Year is somehow a restart. Reality just does not pan out;

Any illness or weakness (including old age) that you have today will be with you tomorrow.

Any bad relationships you are in today will be the same tomorrow.

Any debt you have today will still be due tomorrow with even more interest.

Any bad government that you have today will still be freedom and money sucking parasites tomorrow.

In Western culture, we do not have the year of Jubilee like the early Jews. If they had lost their family land and the wealth it brings due to financial hardships, they get it back debt free in the 7th year, giving them a chance to learn and do right next time. THAT would be a lot closer to what we pretend to celebrate.

Our New Year is really just an excuse to have a celebration. I guess there is not much harm in that, sans a hangover.

Live every day right, this is not a rehearsal.

1672503891684.png

But you are right.

Lpherr

Occupied
    It has become, yet another commercialized holiday, to liberate us from any remaining cash left from Christmas.
    Why is the changing of a date, more celebrated, and televised, than something of significance like say...
    Memorial Day, or the 4th of July? Most people don't even know what those holidays represent, other than a day off work.

Yes, 2023 will be the same :poop:show as 2022; potentially worse. It's simply one day closer to totalitarianism.
    So we celebrate the demise of liberty in hope that anything will change?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    To the OP. I'll be in bed by 10:00. I'm old but the spirit is there.
    My resolution is to shoot more CAS matches around the area. I only got to three last year. But..... My wife and I got to fish more, work on the cabin and just have some fun together.
    I don't make resolutions (at least not New Year's ones), but I would like to step out of my comfort zone and start shooting some matches next year.

I just would like to find matches that don't eat up the entire day. I can't carve out that much time in my current chapter of life.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I don't make resolutions (at least not New Year's ones), but I would like to step out of my comfort zone and start shooting some matches next year.

I just would like to find matches that don't eat up the entire day. I can't carve out that much time in my current chapter of life.
    Cowboy matches usually end by 1:00 or so. Longer if we break out the buffalo guns and .22 levers for long range.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Haven't cared about a New Years celebration since school days.

I'm more about watching CFB bowl games on NYE. Watch the games from 11am till final one for the day is in the books. Usually around 11pm.

I'll be staying up past midnight, but that's only so I can get a pork shoulder on the smoker for tomorrow

Top Bottom