• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The insanity in NY continues as one of their politicians is looking to ban machetes and any knife with a blade over 4 inches. That would make most of my kitchen knives illegal in that craphole state.

New York Is Trying To Ban Butcher Knives and Machetes Now

Anyone with a knife longer than 4 inches – even a simple kitchen knife – would be in violation of an administrative code, and would face up to 15 days in jail and a $300 fine.
    A machete could lead to a year in jail.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Actual text of the bill:

S3199-2015 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Relates to including machete within the definition of a deadly weapon - New York State Senate

It amends the definition of "deadly weapon" in the "definitions" section of New York penal codes.

The purpose per the bill's author:

This legislation makes the necessary correction to the penal law so that perpetrators who use a machete as a weapon will be charged accordingly.

It does not amend the NY Penal code for criminal possession of a weapon, which is where illegal knives are listed: N.Y. PEN. LAW § 265.01 : NY Code - Section 265.01: Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
    degree when:
    (1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic
    stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
    knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles,
    metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type
    slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or
    (2) He possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, razor, stiletto,
    imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon
    with intent to use the same unlawfully against another;

Machetes won't be added to (1), since the bill doesn't change that section of the law at all. (2) only applies if you have the intent to use it unlawfully against someone else.

So how exactly does this ban your machetes, knives with blades over 4", and your kitchen knives?

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    That ranks right up there with taking my shoes off and throwing away my nail clippers before I board a flight. What a Nanny state.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    So an attack with a machete wasn't considered deadly in NY before now? Huh, I guess ol' Bloomstick hasn't been to Africa where more people are killed by machete than almost anything else.

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Actual text of the bill:

S3199-2015 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Relates to including machete within the definition of a deadly weapon - New York State Senate

It amends the definition of "deadly weapon" in the "definitions" section of New York penal codes.

It does not amend the NY Penal code for criminal possession of a weapon, which is where illegal knives are listed: N.Y. PEN. LAW § 265.01 : NY Code - Section 265.01: Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree

Machetes won't be added to (1), since the bill doesn't change that section of the law at all. (2) only applies if you have the intent to use it unlawfully against someone else.

So how exactly does this ban your machetes, knives with blades over 4", and your kitchen knives?

Watch for the language of the bill to change as a bait and switch tactic. The scumbag made his scheme pretty clear:

"I can’t see any useful purpose for a machete, especially in the metropolitan area,” Avella told 1010 WINS. “So I introduced the bill to classify this as a dangerous weapon because when you think about it, somebody yields a machete with intent to do harm it’s as lethal as a gun. I thought it was a glaring omission that a machete is not considered a dangerous weapon. It can be several feet long and as sharp as any knife could ever be. If you use it with intent to do harm then it falls under the category of a dangerous weapon and kicks in penalties,” Avella said.

What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" does this guy not understand? And where is a decent, law abiding cop when a clown like this actually violates federal law and should be arrested?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Actual text of the bill:

I don't know...you've been pretty factual in Mr. J's threads lately. Frankly, it's killing the sensationalism and making things pretty boring around here. Can we please resume making up facts, and bring back the fun? Thanks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Watch for the language of the bill to change as a bait and switch tactic. The scumbag made his scheme pretty clear:
    "I can’t see any useful purpose for a machete, especially in the metropolitan area,” Avella told 1010 WINS. “So I introduced the bill to classify this as a dangerous weapon because when you think about it, somebody yields a machete with intent to do harm it’s as lethal as a gun. I thought it was a glaring omission that a machete is not considered a dangerous weapon. It can be several feet long and as sharp as any knife could ever be. If you use it with intent to do harm then it falls under the category of a dangerous weapon and kicks in penalties,” Avella said.

What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" does this guy not understand? And where is a decent, law abiding cop when a clown like this actually violates federal law and should be arrested?

So you think he should be arrested based on what you believe he'll do in the future based on what federal law, exactly?

Top Bottom