• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I have never been hunting. I've always wanted to go, but never had anybody to go with. And I'd much rather go with an experienced group or individual who wouldn't mind helping me learn properly for my first time, than go it alone and make some potentially serious mistakes. Heck, I don't even know what caliber I can legally hunt with right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's a tall order these days.
    With hunting property at a premium, you're going to be hard pressed to find anyone willing to share.
    That, and, no offense, but being a complete newb, you stand a chance of screwing up the hunt fr others.

I'm not saying you won't find someone to help, but you need to refine your request a little, and be willing to go slow.
    First, try getting someone to let you tag along on a squirrel or coyote hunt.
    I'd suggest taking the online hunters education class. It will give you a VERY basic impression of hunting ethics and safety.
    Next, maybe try to talk a local farmer into letting you hunt squirrel or rabbit, maybe coyote.

I have been hunting the same property for just over a decade. The property belongs to a few of my customers who just happen to view deer as hooved vermin.
    You might be able to trade some work for hunting rights, if you can find such an opportunity.

Start reading in the mean time. Educate yourself on hunting practices for different species.
    Do you want to hunt ground hogs or ducks? Do you want to stalk your prey, or ambush them from a blind or stand?

Might also help if you could post your general location.
    Good luck. I'm ALWAYS looking for more hunting property.

bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks Mgderf, I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I'll check with some of my local outdoor shops for classes and more info. Some of my coworkers have related that they also hunt on private property that is not their own. While they might be willing to help me get started, they don't feel comfortable asking the owners if they can bring me along. I took the Hunters Ed online class a few years back, but now I'm having trouble finding it or how I take a refresher. My internet search savvy sucks.

Some stats on me. I'm 43, live in Beech Grove, own a few firearms, have some cold weather gear. I don't own much for camo because I haven't needed it. I may be a larger individual, but I still manage to sneak up on people all the time by measuring my steps. Despite my complete lack of hunting experience, I do know that it is important to be prepared, quiet, attentive, and not bathed in cologne or deodorant. If anyone would like to help me get some experience or have suggestions or questions, they can feel free to post here or message me directly.

Thanks!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'd like to go shooting with you first, but I'd be happy to bring you along on coyote hunting. I don't have much in the way of deer property to share but I've got nearly 600 acres opened to me and a guest for coyotes, if your interested. Mostly rush county some Decatur and Franklin.

bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    So it looks like I'll have to post a lot more often so I can send PM's. Lol. Thanks bstewrat3, churchmouse, and Ggreen, I'm looking forward to getting some trail time with you guys. This week has gone by fast for me. I have the All Access Pass at Point Blank if you want to meet there or I can get to Atterbury too. I'll get my contact info to church mouse today so we can start coordinating.

Thanks guys!

bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    I'd like to go shooting with you first, but I'd be happy to bring you along on coyote hunting. I don't have much in the way of deer property to share but I've got nearly 600 acres opened to me and a guest for coyotes, if your interested. Mostly rush county some Decatur and Franklin.

Hey Ggreen, I'd love to join you sometime. I have an all access pass at Point Blank that gives me a 2nd person on the lane for free, so we could meet at one of those. Or, I could meet you wherever you would like. Send me a PM with some contact info and I'll be in touch.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Hey Ggreen, I'd love to join you sometime. I have an all access pass at Point Blank that gives me a 2nd person on the lane for free, so we could meet at one of those. Or, I could meet you wherever you would like. Send me a PM with some contact info and I'll be in touch.

I've got your contact info. I'll get ahold of you once things settle down.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    INGO is awesome. You are fortunate to find people willing to bring you along. I already have a few newbies brought into our hunting group, and there’s nothing better than getting new people into hunting. It’s an addiction, as you will discover.

The reason most people won’t invite new hunters is the financial opportunity lost. Think of it this way: Good hunting land leases for around $20 per acre right now. So if you have a farm with 200 acres of good hunting, that is worth $4,000 each year to the land owner. So they could lease it out and make quite a bit of money every year, or be charitable and let some friends hunt for free. Unsurprisingly, not many landowners anymore are willing to volunteer their land for new hunters. Couple that with our ridiculous liability laws, and that’s the end of it. :(

Top Bottom