• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    My son is getting hardcore about getting outdoors. He wants to hunt so he got a Mossberg 500 20ga for Christmas and I got the matching 12ga. (of course right?) We're both new at shooting shutguns. I'm familiar with handguns (Glock 23) so I'm not completely new to firearms.

I looked up Atterbury as the place we'll go for our first time with these guns. I bought some practice ammo but it looks like we cannot take the shotguns to the rifle range unless we're shooting slugs. I'd rather him be able to shoot on one of those ranges before taking him over to the skeet/trap area. I guess it makes no sense to be shooting at paper targets with normal shot shells.

Maybe I should just buy some slugs for his gun. I wanted him to get over the jitters of shooting for the first time. I've heard that slugs shoot differently that normal shot shells. Also, having him be able to take his time on his first shot without the pressure of a moving target. But then, I guess I could put him over there and have him shoot at nothing a few times.

Any thoughts?

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    1st Time Out

Pay the $6 for 27 clays at the Trap Range... If he hits one... BONUS. IF not, he'll keep trying. Ask for help at the range too. The attendants can give you some pointers too. Dont put too much pressure on yourselves.

And yes, slugs shoot differently than birdshot. But not that much different.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I think that's what we're going to do now. Thanks for suggestion. I need to not expect too much out of our first trip. Become familiar with them is a reasonable goal I'd say.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Make sure you can switch between slugs and shot. You might have to switch barrels. Some guns you don't. Check your instructions.

Top Bottom