• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I'm fairly new to firearms, but have had my LTCH for about a year. I have carried most of that time, first a .357 revolver, then a kel tec, and finally an xd. I've also had a glock 17 and a hi point. I found out that I'm not a huge fan of the grip safety, and am looking for a glock to replace my current carry weapon.

I want to stay with 9mm and am having trouble deciding between a g26 or a g19. I will use this gun almost exclusively for carry, and occasional range trips, just to stay familiar with it.

From my limited research, the g26 has a slightly shorter grip than my XDsc. I wouldn't want my pinkie wandering around, so I would get the extension. Besides giving me a larger grip, which is what I'm looking for, does this also increase magazine capacity? By how many rounds? Does someone make a "sleeve" like the XD so that larger magazines, like those for the 19 or 17, could be used with a full size grip?

My other choice would be a g19. My biggest concern is if it is practical to expect to conceal it well? I'm not a huge guy, 5'9" and about 200lbs.

I was also considering some night sights on either of them. Would this be useful for someone who is fairly new to shooting? I've been to the range several times, and just had my first formal training today. I hope to add to that as funds/time permit.

I know the newest generation of g17's are out, but not the newest 19 or 26. Is it practical to assume that once the new ones come into stores that the "old" versions will go on "clearance?" I was told that the new ones will come with another mag, but will also be about 40 dollars more. I think I also noticed that the slide serrations are different on the new ones?

The cheapest I could find locally was 500 for the gun and another 100 for night sights.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a Glock 26 that I CC and it virtually disappears under a t-shirt. I have the pinky extension, but without the extra rounds. I believe you can get up to 2 round increase with some of them. You can use the Glock 19 mags in the G26 and yes they make the grip extension sleeve for them.

A lot of people have no problem with CC a Glock 19 and that is their preferred carry gun.

So either way you will be happy, go to a gun store that has them both and really compare them side by side.

As far as the sights go, I actually prefer the Glock stock sights over Trijicon night sights (I had them on a Glock 30 before), for me it is easier to quickly pick up the stock sights vs the night sights.

Good luck to you

Forgot to add that I only have the pinky extension on 1 of the mags, the other I left it off, that way if I needed a little more concealability I could put the mag on without to shorten the grip so it doesn't print as much (if at all)

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    I seriously doubt anyone will put the Glocks on clearance. There are probably alot of people that don't like the the new Glocks, and would prefer the older, so I doubt you'll find deep discounts on them.

I say go with a 26 if you are going to carry it, the smaller the better. I have a 26, great size, but I can use it as a range gun without being uncomfortable (like a pocket pistol).

Here is my 26 with the mag extension that adds 2-3 rounds:
    img00115201003102032.jpg

Here is my 26 with the pinkie extension:
    img00114201003102032.jpg

Here is my 26 with the mag sleeve you asked about:
    img00113201003102032.jpg

USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I carry the G26. At first I had the Pearce pinkie extension, which was ok, but not really stable, it popped off when I dropped the magazine. That only happened once the night I installed it so I may not have had it in the slot properly, because further testing it did not happen again. I tested two mags. I changed it out a month ago for a Pearce Grip which says plus two for 9mm and plus 1 for 40SW and 357SIG. I can only get one additional 9mm in the magazine since I changed the grip extension.

I checked with a couple of friends and they too could only get one additional 9mm round loaded into the magazine. I have a friend who bought the G19 to carry, but says it imprints more than the G26, so he plans to buy a g26 or g27 to carry and keep the g19 for home.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Get the 19, if you're going to add mag extentions you have defeated the purpose of the shorter grip. :twocents:

Buy a good holster and dress apropriately and the 19 is just as easy to conceal.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Start off with the 19, as I believe it to be easy to conceal, more rounds and handles a little bit better (for me it does, bigger grip). Then save up and get the 26, as only having one Glock is illegal (that's what I told my wife ;)!)

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Just a couple things to add, I will be carrying in a comp tac minotaur holster. It worked great for my XD and I will either buy another or just get a new kydex part for my new carry. My summer wear will be a T shirt and jeans/khaki shorts.

It seems that many believe that the 26 with an extension will be at least as large as a 19. Does anyone have pics or measurements? I would assume the extra barrel length won't factor into concealability with a good holster, so if this is true I think I have my answer.

Thanks for all those who have contacted me!

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Start off with the 19, as I believe it to be easy to conceal, more rounds and handles a little bit better (for me it does, bigger grip). Then save up and get the 26, as only having one Glock is illegal (that's what I told my wife ;)!)

This ^^^^^^^^^^
    I have a G23 and am looking for a G27 for a back-up/deep concealment gun. For a new shooter the larger 19 would be the way to go. :yesway:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm 5-7 and 250. My EDC is a G23 which is the same frame as the G19.

I carry this in an ankle holster, on my hip or IWB. I've even carried it in my cargo pocket in different pants and shorts.

By the time you put the pinky extension on, you are basically at the same grip size at the 19.

They key to getting a good deal is patience.

If you want a new one for peace of mind, $485-$500 is normal.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I carried a G19 for years along with a short stint with the G38 (G19 size). I actually just traded up to a G17 because I like the longer grip. I can conceal the G17 just as well as I could with my G19 in a crossbreed supertuck. I think you won't have any trouble with a G19. There is a reason why it's the most popular.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I CC the G26. I had to have a pinky extension to provide proper control and aim. The Pearce extension is not acceptable. It will pinch the pinky, causing blood blisters after 4-6 mags. There is another brand that makes an extension that does not have the sharp lip on the top front of the extension. Use that one. Either way, purchase a pair of shooting gloves for your range time. They will save your finger a lot of discomfort and if you actually get into a gunfight, you will not be worried about a blood blister after one or two mags.

The 26 with the extension does not print. The back of the extension is shorter than the 19, so it actually works better for CC. I am 5'10", 160lbs., and the 26 with the extension does not print when I carry in a Galco IWB; it does print a bit if I use my Blackhawk CQC OWB.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    advice? just buy a new 1, not too many deals on glocks in "for sale" section.

+1 New ones are not that much. you can always join GSSF for like $30.00 (or something around there) and as a GSSF member you can buy one Glock a year at special LE pricing through a Glock distributor with substantial savings (even with the GSSF membership factored in)!

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It sounds like a 19 would fit my needs better. Anyone else wanna chime in on the nightsights?

I looked up the GSSF, and it seems like a pretty good deal all around. Unfortunately, by the time I wait for my membership card to arrive and then drive hours to the nearest participating dealer, I think the whole thing for me is a wash.

Any other ways to get a good deal on a 19?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom