Newbee needs help with choosing Die Sets!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Lee dies have worked for me. Get the 4 die set carbide for pistol. Not sure how much reloading your going to do, but a single stage got old for me like really quick. I still use it, but picked up a Lee turret like within 1 month of reloading. But whatever you end up with, a single stage press is nice to have and I still use it all the time. I generally deprime my brass and do all the brass prep stuff before I hit the turret to knock out some rounds. For my precision rifle, I use the single stage exclusively.

I live in greenwood off of sheek road. If you need some help drop me a pm.

i load for 9mm, 223. 30/30, 243, 12ga and 20ga. I just posted my reloading room pics in the sticky above if you want to see my setup.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    I have been loading for > 33 years. I have most maker's dies, except Dillon. Never cared for them much. I like Lee and they work as well as any others out there. The one thing where I think Lee beats most other dies is the bullet seater adjustabilty. If you load different bullets, it is easier to adjust Lee and Hornady dies.

Say I am setting up 38 Special. What I do is make a dummy round for each bullet type I will use, seated to the proper OAL. When I change bullets, unscrew the seater plug a little, put the dummy round in the shellholder, and raise the press' ram so the cartrdge is all the way in the die. Now, just screw down the seater plug until it contacts the bullet nose. The seater die is set for that bullet now.

I actually watched a YouTube video yesterday showing the exact same thing with die setting, thought what a great idea!
    Thanks for your input greatly appreciated.

DRoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Whiteland, IN.
    Lee dies have worked for me. Get the 4 die set carbide for pistol. Not sure how much reloading your going to do, but a single stage got old for me like really quick. I still use it, but picked up a Lee turret like within 1 month of reloading. But whatever you end up with, a single stage press is nice to have and I still use it all the time. I generally deprime my brass and do all the brass prep stuff before I hit the turret to knock out some rounds. For my precision rifle, I use the single stage exclusively.

I live in greenwood off of sheek road. If you need some help drop me a pm.

i load for 9mm, 223. 30/30, 243, 12ga and 20ga. I just posted my reloading room pics in the sticky above if you want to see my setup.

Thanks for the offer been driving Sheek Rd. about every day that was untill the construction on Worthsville Rd. Just checked out room pics. freaking nice set up. I can only hope some day my setup is comparable!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I use Dillon and Lee. I honestly don't see a difference in a round made with one die type over another. You will be just fine buying Lee dies and will not need to "upgrade" them a year from now. Your grandkids will still be able to use them when that time comes.

Either way, welcome to a fun hobby! I like reloading almost more than shooting....almost. Enjoy and ask any questions you have and learn from our mistakes.

Top Bottom