• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I've been a rimfire rifle collector for quite awhile but have recently moved into shooting handguns. Since all I've purchased up till now has been 22 LR or shorts, I know little about ammo pricing for other calibers. I'm looking for info on the 38 Special, the 357 and the 45 ACP. Have some questions:

1. What retail outlet/s have the best prices on ammo?
    2. How about online guys like cheaperthandirt.com? Who has best prices?
    3. I know there are different grades of ammo. What should I use for target and what is recommended for personal protection?
    4. I've also been told that some grades of ammo/brass cannot be reloaded. How can I tell what these are?

My son and I are starting to shoot more often and now the wife might even be showing some interest. Looking to keep the cost down. I don't want to get into reloading right now. Thanks for the education.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    1. WalMart
    2.???
    3. Target: whatever is cheap. Protection: Hollow points, you'll get as many opinions on what's good as there are different brands. Just make sure that if you get a semi-auto you shoot a box or two through your gun to make sure it's a good match (reliable feed, fire, extract, accuracy) before you rely on it for defense. Revolvers won't be finnicky with the ammo, but it's still a good idea to know what the rounds "feel" like when you shoot them.
    4. You should never reload a case that isn't brass. This includes steel, aluminum, or any other material. There are two main types of brass, Boxer primed and Berdan primed. Berdan primers are generally considered non-reloadable. You can't tell while the ammo is loaded. Once it's been fired, look inside the case. If there is a single hole in the base, it's Boxer. If there are two holes, it's Berdan. Generally speaking, all retail ammo (Remington, UMC, Winchester, Federal, etc) made in the US is Boxer primed. Berdan is more common in Europe and may be labelled Berdan Primed.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    and start saving your brass. you wont have to buy brass when you are ready to start reloading. also if any of your friends shoot ask them to save theirs for you if they dont reload.

like above post, buy the main name brands, all are reloadable except for the cheap rounds loaded in aluminum.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    1. Wal-mart for most target ammo. I use mostly 9mm. Winchester White Box in 100 round boxes. WM price has been hard to beat.
    2. I've found I've had to search. Never ordered bulk on line yet.
    3. Target -my Semi-autos like the Winchester White Box. Need to make sure your gun feeds them reliably. For protection Hollow points. Your gun needs to feed them reliably. Try several to make sure if you can. Youtube has some vids of test if you trust them.
    4. Don't reload yet, but you've gotten good advise so far.
    thanks and good luck!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I Looking to keep the cost down. I don't want to get into reloading right now. Thanks for the education.

Save your brass in the meantime and I would get in touch with Profile Arms and Supply. he is a site supporter here. Aszerigan has a great reputation and see what he can do for you regardless if you provide the brass or not.

It also would be good to have a connection with him come the day you decide to load your own !

Top Bottom