• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Sometimes you can get a deal on accessories at a gun show and sometimes not. I saw a cheap cleaning kit at one in E'ville some years ago then saw it later that day in, of all places, Gander Mountain. It was about 10% cheaper at Gander. The seller probably bought an armful at GM then sold them to people who didn't know a good price at the show.

"and most times NOT".
    If you've not been to a gun show, I think you may be a little disappointed. People expect to find all these great deals and typically, they're just not there. I'd support your local gun shop or other local business and get your stuff there.

Some people like them gun shows. I'm through with them. Just wasted parking and admission money. Just my opinion.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lots of good advice here. I went the "cheap" route on my ear muffs ($2.99 - $6.99 at Harbor Freight), and cheap safety glasses are fine. Get the yellow tint if you like. This is my pistol cleaning kit... does everything I need it to do, and it's around 6-7 bucks at Walmart and doesn't take up much room in a range bag. Of course you'll still need patches, Hoppes, CLP etc.. You can always get a more elaborate one for home if you want later.

185016_ts.jpg

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Some may disagree but I say stay away from the cheaper kits the brushes never last and the rods are soft aluminum. if you plan on getting serious go with ProShot or similar quality stuff . I have cleaned thousands of times and my rods all look new.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some may disagree but I say stay away from the cheaper kits the brushes never last and the rods are soft aluminum. if you plan on getting serious go with ProShot or similar quality stuff . I have cleaned thousands of times and my rods all look new.
    So far the little Winchester kit is holding up. I think the rods are actually brass in this kit. I know I like the brass patch holder. Nice thing is that the brushes can be replaced. I agree about the soft aluminum rods. I've broken a couple. :n00b:

jacob.white27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Spencer, In
    Hopefully you have someone who knows a thing or two about guns to help you learn how to handle one...if not find one...also if you have kids or even if you don't you'll want something to lock you pistol up in when it is not in use

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    yup, i got a buddy with a pretty big gun collection, and a brother thats been into guns since he left the army. i only have the one, but its locked up. i used a combo lock with a completely random code...didnt want kids to find any key.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    ok, welcome to your new addiction. First subscribe to:
    Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    cdnninvestments.com
    Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide
    If these 3 webostes dont have what you need cheap..you simply dont need it. Also might wanna try midway too. The companies are in the wholesale of firearms parts, accessories, ammo, mags, and pretty much anything else you may require to clean, feed, or care for you weapon or yourself.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    A basic pistol cleaning kit is a good start.
    I've put mine in a tacklebox.
    And I've had to upgrade the size 3 times, I keep adding things or tools.
    Bring your weapon, unloaded. You may want to try a holster or belt out.
    List what you want. You might forget.
    Try to be crazy on impulse purchase. Walk around and think about it.
    That great deal at the door, may be better further in.

You may want a boresnake. Some people exclusively use it. Some hate them.
    I use a cleaning brush through the bore with Hoppes.
    Use the boresnake to clean out the barrel.
    Repeat.

Before you go, have an idea of the value of what you're looking for.
    Not everything there is a deal.

When you walk in, they will want to put a tie wrap through your gun.
    That's why you unload it before.

all of the above is great advise but I had to laugh out load at this typo:D

OP - I hope you did take it as a typo and didn't literaly try to "be crazy on impulse buys":D

Hope you found some things to meet your needs. You were given a lot of good advice in this thread.

Do you have your LTCH yet?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    all of the above is great advise but I had to laugh out load at this typo:D

OP - I hope you did take it as a typo and didn't literaly try to "be crazy on impulse buys":D

Hope you found some things to meet your needs. You were given a lot of good advice in this thread.

Do you have your LTCH yet?

Ok. Didn't see that.
    :)
    Correction.
    Try NOT to go crazy on impulse spending.

And for a cleaning rod, I prefer a one piece steel.

Top Bottom