• ...and so much more!
  • browncoat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    north indy
    Hi,

I'm a new hunter. Since squirrel season started I've gone out twice and seen nothing so I assume that I'm doing something wrong but that's another thread for another time. Since rabbit season just opened on the DNR properties I was thinking about going again at the end of this week, however there is a concern I have:

I'm going to be walking through brush trying to kick up rabbits, while other hunters are patiently awaiting a deer to walk under their stand. Is there some ettiquette I should follow i.e. how do I not screw up their hunt? Since I'll be out with a shot gun I really don't want to mess up someone's day off. For information purposes, I was planning either atterbury or wilbur wright. Thoughts on either of these? I live in Indy so the drive is about the same.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    squirrels are smart, you need to find a good food tree and sit very still for some time.. a ground blind helps..
    Rabbits are most active very early ..
    as far as walking under a deer hunter, well it is public land, just try not to go by the same guy twice, once you know he is there.. you might even spook up a deer for him..

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't hunt public property, but rabbit hunting through known deer hunting land during deer season sounds like a good way to make alot of enemies to me.:noway: Don't be surprized if you get more than one tongue lashing and get threatened with a beat down. Some guys take their deer hunting pretty seriously. Wait till late season when there is snow on the ground to go after the rabbits.:twocents:

browncoat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    north indy
    Wilbur wright has a sign in so at least I can see where they are hunting and avoid those areas. A beat down really? I'm self admittedly new but that seems childish.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    Childish but a fact.

Have had a few run ins with deer guys while hunting coyote myself.

I just yell back that " ya should be glad I'm taking out your competition!"

:D

They still are mad though.:laugh:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    If you are set on going, definitely pay attention to where other hunters are are signed in at. Avoid those areas completely. Be mindful of where you are heading, stop and look around a LOT for ground blinds/stands. Keep in mind when you shoot at them rabbits running by, there are quite a few guys that ground hunt. (myself included) and they may be sitting under a tree or hunkered down in some downed brush waiting. They're not wearing hunter orange either since they dont have to until firearm season. It's public ground.. you got every right to be on there as anyone else, but as mentioned... you could get a tongue lashing for it if you stumble up on someone. At the same time you might push the deer to a hunter too ...so /shrug. You could try going during the week where there would be less activity than on a weekend. Just be safe and know whats around you before ya go shooting! Good luck!

browncoat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    north indy
    Thanks for the advice. Was thinking about going during the week anyway.
    CBSENIOR - I don't have enough posts to pm you back. I like the way you think. Throw me your email or phone # in a pm and I will contact you.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I usually see the squirrels more active starting the next few weeks..especially whe the leaves start falling. I haven't seen a ton since deer season started but I feel like i could pop 10 each time I deer hunt and we get further into october.

Top Bottom