• ...and so much more!
  • maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    Hello everyone;
    I recently became a Hoosier from the god awful gun hating liberal state of Hell-linois. It is good to be finally in a red state. :): Anyways, I have started the paperwork for my lifetime personal protection CC permit. I would like to also get a suppressor for some 22's I own but I don't have a clue where to begin or if there are any local laws in my area restricting them. I am hoping that I can get some help as I heard it can take up to a year for the paperwork to come back from the ATF. Thought I would get things going asap. If anyone can help a newbie out I would appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Mav

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Congrats on moving. I also immigrated from IL 8 years ago.

Two things.

1. It's not a CC permit. It's a license to carry a handgun. That means open or concealed, your preference. You may never open carry, but do know it's an option and not restricted by law.

2. With a suppressor, or any other NFA item you're BUYING, you don't really submit paperwork first. You find the item you want, pay for it at the dealer, and then he walks you through the paperwork that has to be submitted to the ATF. Once your transfer is approved (the almost 1 year wait you speak of) then you go and pick up your suppressor from the dealer. If you are building something yourself, like most do with SBR AR's, then you would submit paperwork and you can't assemble until it comes back approved. You would still need to know exactly what you're going to build though.

I would suggest doing lots of reading and research on the types of suppressor you want (rimfire, pistol, rifle). Go hear some if you can. The dealer I use is Matt at Front Toward Enemy in DeMotte. He's works out of his home, but he's a great guy, very informative and will take all the time you need to show you stuff.

One thing you need to decide is whether you want to own the stuff as an individual or trust. The trust has the advantage of having more people that are eligible to possess the items, and has some benefits upon your death as well. It also allows you to skip the fingerprints, photos and law-enforcement sign-off that is required of an individual. The ATF is proposing a rule change (will probably go through) that will require prints, pics and sign-off for trusts as well, so that benefit could very well go away. Anyone else on your trust would also have to submit those items each time you purchase or build something.

Your location says Crown Point. I live there as well, and the police chief, Pete Land has been very accommodating to signing off on my stuff. He's signed about 5 for me, usually while I wait, so I wouldn't worry about going individual. If you live in unincorporated Crown Point, you would have to go to the Lake County Sheriff. No idea on that one.

Hope this is helpful.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Matt is great. I bought my suppressor from him as well. He will do all the prep work and walk you through exactly what you have to do.

He is also a member of the forum, combat45acp

All I can add to that is get a suppressor. Mine never fails to bring a smile to the face of whomever is shooting it. :):

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    You can get a trust done in a week or so. Once the lawyer gets your info and finalizes the trust, all you need to do is get it notorized and its legal.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Matt at Front toward Enemy is the guy to call.. pm me if you need his number... I called and told him what I wanted! He filled out the paperwork and I signed it and dropped it off at the PD... 2 days later I picked it back up and mailed it off to ATF.... easier than ordering a birthday cake...

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    Congrats on moving. I also immigrated from IL 8 years ago.

Two things.

1. It's not a CC permit. It's a license to carry a handgun. That means open or concealed, your preference. You may never open carry, but do know it's an option and not restricted by law.

2. With a suppressor, or any other NFA item you're BUYING, you don't really submit paperwork first. You find the item you want, pay for it at the dealer, and then he walks you through the paperwork that has to be submitted to the ATF. Once your transfer is approved (the almost 1 year wait you speak of) then you go and pick up your suppressor from the dealer. If you are building something yourself, like most do with SBR AR's, then you would submit paperwork and you can't assemble until it comes back approved. You would still need to know exactly what you're going to build though.

I would suggest doing lots of reading and research on the types of suppressor you want (rimfire, pistol, rifle). Go hear some if you can. The dealer I use is Matt at Front Toward Enemy in DeMotte. He's works out of his home, but he's a great guy, very informative and will take all the time you need to show you stuff.

One thing you need to decide is whether you want to own the stuff as an individual or trust. The trust has the advantage of having more people that are eligible to possess the items, and has some benefits upon your death as well. It also allows you to skip the fingerprints, photos and law-enforcement sign-off that is required of an individual. The ATF is proposing a rule change (will probably go through) that will require prints, pics and sign-off for trusts as well, so that benefit could very well go away. Anyone else on your trust would also have to submit those items each time you purchase or build something.

Your location says Crown Point. I live there as well, and the police chief, Pete Land has been very accommodating to signing off on my stuff. He's signed about 5 for me, usually while I wait, so I wouldn't worry about going individual. If you live in unincorporated Crown Point, you would have to go to the Lake County Sheriff. No idea on that one.

Hope this is helpful.
    Thanks for your reply and for clarifying the handgun permit. I am new to all this stuff.

In regards to the suppressor I thought you had to get the approval and then you can go get one. I didn't realize that it was the other way around. Since I really have no idea where to begin, I think I will contact that person you recommended-can you pm me his contact info? I like the idea of going with a trust as opposed to individual, does this person Matt do these or do I have to go with someone else to do that part?

In regards to my location, that is correct that I am in crown point, but I will have to check to see if I am in city limits or not.
    Thanks for your help.
    Mav

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    Matt is great. I bought my suppressor from him as well. He will do all the prep work and walk you through exactly what you have to do.

He is also a member of the forum, combat45acp

All I can add to that is get a suppressor. Mine never fails to bring a smile to the face of whomever is shooting it. :):
    Cool-sounds like I really need to give him a call. If one of you guys can either hook me up with a PM with his number or his handle on here so I can contact him.
    Thanks,
    Mav

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    In case I missed anyone who commented on this thread, I just want to say thanks! As soon as I get Matt's number I will update this thread on my progress. In the meantime if anyone has any good links to find out more about suppressor's please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Mav

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    Well I spoke with Matt and he filled me in on some stuff I wasn't sure about. I think I want to go the trust route, so I have emailed Grant. Just waiting to hear back from him.

Top Bottom