• ...and so much more!
  • humdinger73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2014
    Madison
    Hello all,
    I recently received my conceal/carry, I have shot a few handgun with a co-worker over the last 3 months and think I am ready to purchase. I really like Springfiels XDM 9mm - Sound off
    Pro's vs. Con's Please?
    I look forward to your replies,

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Cons of the XDm: Weight for its size. Grip safety. IMHO A Glock 17 is a better bang for your buck pistol than the XDm.

Pros of the XDm: Good aftermarket support and one of the best companies in the business (Springfield Armory) for customer service support if it is ever needed.

I have never shot an XDm, Although I have shot an XD, so I can't really comment on it other than I prefer the feel and simplicity of Glock.

What all pistols have you shot? Which ones shot and felt best to you?

Find a GOOD store/range in your area, and rent everything you can and try all your options first. Then decide what works best FOR YOU.

For me I am a CZ fan.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Single biggest pro... you are already familiar with it and like it.

It is not what I would pick, but at least it is a decent gun that you could resale if you later find something else you like better.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Really Springfield XDm, Glock, Smith and Wesson M & P, Ruger SR are all about the same as far as reliability, shoot ability, durability, and likeability (:D). The trick is to find the one you like and fits you the best. If you like the Springfield XDm then go for it, you won't regret it and if you decide to go a different route later you can probably find someone to trade it for a different one (brand).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Walther PPQ. You will not be disappointed.

I had a PPQ M2 and was. Not with the pistol overall just the slide release. Without relearning how to hold a pistol (I come from the CZ/1911 camp) I was unable to shoot the pistol without riding the slide release, causing it to fail to lock on an empty chamber consistently. Loved everything else about it, but alas it wasn't for me.

Which is why it is important the OP try everything, or at least as many as possible before fully committing to a platform, and not just take the word of the internet gurus as gold.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think your best option is to meet up with some INGOers from your area and try out different guns.
    Maybe if you see a Meet & Shoot nearby.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Like others have mention the best thing would be to rent or somebody let you try different brands, also like mention before don't base your decision just on looks. There is a lot of good options out there just take your time and do a lot of research before making your purchase, the XDM is not my top pick since is heavier and is harder to find a gunsmith that works on them (have to pay shipping some times). Right now I prefer M&P's but for a long time inwas a Glock guy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My old adage was always a 22 pistol so you could learn to shoot cheap and get a good base before launching into the center fire realm. It still is if you have or can find any 22 ammo. I still find this to be true but not lately a Valid reason.
    If the polymorphism (auto spell check error I like) auto's are what you like by all means jump on in the waters. Springfield makes good pistols. Go to ranges and try everything you can.

Do not be afraid to save a few more bucks and buy once cry once. I still have 4 of the first 5 pistols I bought and the one I traded got me money for the fifth. Well taken care of and even shot a ton they should be able to be passed on to grandchildren at least if not times 2.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    They're not bad and good place to start. There are several quality brands in that price range.

My recommendation is keep asking questions, buy your buddy some ammo to shoot his and go to some shops and shows to handle some different types in your price range or even a little above your range. Learn some more, ask more questions, read and search web. After learning some more, then you can ask some good questions then go handle a few at the gun shops and shows then you will have an idea of what you might want and what it will cost. It sounds boring and crazy but it is really interesting and the stuff you'll hear to get you to buy can be informative or plain bull, you will know.

9mm is good place to start; easy recoil and fairly cheap to shoot. XDm magazines are a little more pricey and some times hard to find, the holsters can be hard to find also. Do like the bi-tones in those models the best, new they cost the same but as for re-sale they go for more, weird huh?

Oh yeah, most of all, learn the proper way to handle guns and the laws. We get a lot of bad press from idiots that won't take the time to respect their guns. Always welcome to hear from new responsible members.

Welcome to the gun world and INGO.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As others have stated, look into shooting a variety and evaluate what works best. Also, consider that you may want to buy into a platform as opposed to a single gun make/model. Evaluate if what you are looking at also has a family of compacts/subcompacts that can share mags/holsters, etc. It makes it nice when you can use the same carry holster/extra mags, etc but carry a slightly smaller gun depending on dress, circumstances, etc. I have not really researched/evaluated the XD series to see if this is the case, but you can do this with Glocks (i.e. 17/19/26 models for example), as well as the M&P full sizes and compacts. This is in large part why I carry and own Glocks, besides the fact that I'm more tuned into a Glock trigger than others and it makes it somewhat hard for me to change platforms. However, I do own multiple sizes of gun, that all have the same trigger/same procedures around operation/can use the same holster/spare mags, and some part compatibility.

Also consider the ready availability of mags/spare parts/holsters/accessories on the market for a particular gun when purchasing. Mags are consumables, so the price of mags is a consideration once you get serious about it. Having one or 2 mags is not sufficient.

Finally, I subscribe to the idea that 1 = none, 2 = 1, etc, so I have not only decided on a platform, I tend to buy multiples of particular models.

Finally, might also consider the availability of armorers for various makes/models, unless you tend to be mechanically inclined yourself. This also lends to the availability of some parts, that the manufacturer may not make generally available (i.e. certified armorer only).

Just my thought pattern on the subject.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife selected a Springfield XDm 3.8 in 9mm for our 10th Anniversary a little over a year ago...and she absolutely loves it! I shot it...and liked it enough to consider it in .45 acp...but I found a heck of a deal on a Glock 36 that outshoots everything I've ever owned...so I'm happy! Besides, it's a Glock...like the rest of my pistols!

Rule #1...in defensive shooting, shot placement is the #1 concern.
    Rule #2...in defensive shooting, penetration is the #2 concern.
    Rule #3...when selecting a handgun, make sure you're comfortable with it.

Take a look at this before you make a final decision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuBpoTKPIvo

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    It seems no one has said it yet but try a revolver, preferably in .38 special (although a .357 will shot .38 just fine) and see how you like that platform. They're easy to learn on and you may find (like I did) that you like them MUCH better.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Welcome to the ranks. !! I also recently received my permit,& purchased an XDS-9. When I was considering getting the permit I started looking at all the local shops & talked to the people behind the counter.. Tell them what you want it for & they probably if they are knowledgable (as they should be), they will offer info based on your needs. Will you be the only one handling the firearm? Might effect what caliber to get. Conceal carry only or open carry. Could effect frame size . Of course price has an effect too. I do like my XDS-9 for what I wanted it for. You have an advantage over me because this site is a great source of info. (Though it does seem to be heavy on Glock & CZ. Good luck & happy hunting

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    I shoot my friends XDm in .45 somewhat often, and I absolutely love it. Like some others have said before, they have a strong aftermarket and good customer support.
    If you're thinking about CCing it, it might be a little big for some people. I have a XDS in .45, one of the best carry guns IMO

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Honestly you will have your own preferences the more guns you shoot. You will not likely hold onto the first gun you buy, but some principles that can be helpful are look for a good company, try and shoot some from friends or guys at a range, or rent and try some out. Your budget will dictate some of this too. Most guys I talk to have a $500 budget, which is a good starting point. Springfield, Glock, Roger are all good places to start. Since you are new to the firearms industry it seems I would recommend a new gun instead of used, as you may not be able to catch a lemon from a gem. I made this mistake years ago and got a my first carry gun and it was a piece of junk.

Top Bottom