• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This was definitely a low-intimidation environment!

To be honest, one of the reasons I have not tried any competition shooting is because I did not know what to do and what not to do and did not know anyone who was into it that could show me the ropes.

I took Coach's intro to competition 101 class and shot this newbie match and I am really enjoying it!

I think the class and newbie match do a good job of slowing things down and breaking them down and removing the pressure so that people new to the sport can get started. I had a great time, I learned a bunch and I am going to shoot a regular uspsa match in the near future.

Thanks to Coach and his helpers!

Well said..

I had a great time! Crazy how much better I shot at this versus the first match I went to at Parabellum. Not sure if it was the Competition 101 class or just a whole lot less nerves this time out, but the difference was deffinately there. Now with that being said... Are you going to be posting the scores? It was a competition after all!

Results - check out the link below. www.practiscore.com and look for "Match Results". Look for Parabellum and the date of the event.

https://practiscore.com/results.php?uuid=5544fe13-8b69-4231-a68c-58fa5d94a5c5

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Had a great time! If you're thinking about getting into USPSA competition I highly recommend the Competition 101 class and a newbie match like this. I'll definitely be at more matches after this!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I signed in the lady asked if I was still shooting production and I said yes. Now on the scorn it shows limited. Any idea why that is?

How many rounds were you using in a mag?

I think I signed up as "limited", but it turns out I would be put in "open" class as my glock has a light.

If/when I actually get to compete in a USPSA match I will have to decide if I want to compete with my Glock as I carry it (with light, which kicks me into open class) or take the light off and get into a less "racey" class.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    How many rounds were you using in a mag?

I think I signed up as "limited", but it turns out I would be put in "open" class as my glock has a light.

If/when I actually get to compete in a USPSA match I will have to decide if I want to compete with my Glock as I carry it (with light, which kicks me into open class) or take the light off and get into a less "racey" class.

I only loaded 10. I was using a bone stock M&P.

As for your Glock, if you are competing stickily to become a better shooter, that leave it as is. If you are like me, and are doing this to feed your need to compete, you'll want to take off the light. The guys in the open division have crazy pistols that would blow your Glock away even with equal shooters. I would personally load 10 in the mag and shoot production.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

As for your Glock, if you are competing stickily to become a better shooter, that leave it as is. If you are like me, and are doing this to feed your need to compete, you'll want to take off the light. The guys in the open division have crazy pistols that would blow your Glock away even with equal shooters. I would personally load 10 in the mag and shoot production.

What is the reasoning behind loading down to 10 and shooting production? Is it because it gets me out of competing against people with more tuned up guns?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What is the reasoning behind loading down to 10 and shooting production? Is it because it gets me out of competing against people with more tuned up guns?

Scoring is different between limited and production. In limited there is a difference between major and minor calibers. In production everyone is scored minor regardless of caliber. So shooting standard 9mm will put you at a scoring disadvantage in limited but not production.

I don't know what caliber you shoot. Just pointing out another difference.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Some video from the newbie match. You can check yourself out regarding the things we talked about if you made the video cut.

[video=youtube;WxdHs4FMVyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxdHs4FMVyI[/video]

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Scoring is different between limited and production. In limited there is a difference between major and minor calibers. In production everyone is scored minor regardless of caliber. So shooting standard 9mm will put you at a scoring disadvantage in limited but not production.

I don't know what caliber you shoot. Just pointing out another difference.

Thanks for the tip.

I shoot 9mm so that does matter.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Some video from the newbie match. You can check yourself out regarding the things we talked about if you made the video cut.

[video=youtube;WxdHs4FMVyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxdHs4FMVyI[/video]

Nice video Coach. Any chance of holding another Newbie match? I can't believe I didn't catch the original post.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

How's the holster working for you? If the sweat guard interferes with your grip out of the holster, you can trim it. Based on how my Comp-Tac is fitting me, I wish I would have just trimmed the one that I sold you and kept it.:)

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    How's the holster working for you? If the sweat guard interferes with your grip out of the holster, you can trim it. Based on how my Comp-Tac is fitting me, I wish I would have just trimmed the one that I sold you and kept it.:)

Well I used my Fobus paddle holster last night, as it sits lower and further away from my body so it works a little better for competition. However, I use the kydex you sold me almost exclusively for CC/OC, and it works great. Still haven't trimmed the sweat guard, not sure if I will or not.

Jagunn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 24, 2014
    Brownsburg
    The newbie class and the 101 class were very informative. Had a blast shooting but need lots of practice which is pretty obvious looking at my scores and the video. Thanks coach for all the help.

Top Bottom