• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emtsteve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I'm buying my son his own gun for Christmas. He's always just used my 870 or my .44 for deer hunting but I want to get him his own now. He's always liked my .44 a little better than the 870. Any suggestions on what rifle to get him in the under $400 range that he can use to deer hunt with here in Indiana? Just wanted some opinions before I go shopping next week. Thanks!!

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    In that price range, probably a New England Handi Rifle. That way, you may be able to get a scope or red dot too. Single shot would be a good starting point and good practice for putting a quality first shot in a vital area.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I agree with bbarker, although for single shot rifle there are other options as well. Without knowing how old your son is, I would say this - if he IS a little bit older (i.e. teens), you might look at spending a little more (if it's within your budget), to get something that he will be able to grow with. I got a shotgun from my dad when I graduated high school back in 1991. That's the one I use every trip, that's the one I'm going to continue to use, and that's the one I'm going to give my son or daughter (depending on who wants it) when I'm gone, because that way the memories of the trips we take will pass on through him/her.

Might look into Marlin (i.e. base model 1894) if your able to go that route, or even a Savage 220.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I bought a single shot rossi 44mag for deer hunting,chose it over H&R because it has rifle sights and ahigh comb on the stock.Broke it in thanksgiving morning when a buck and three does walked in.I got the buck and one doe and missed a doe before two of the does left.With a single shot.Thats a thanksgiving to remember.

kirch86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    is he interested at all in hunting anything else besides deer with it? A shotgun may be a better choice for his first gun. Just my .02

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I bought a single shot rossi 44mag for deer hunting,chose it over H&R because it has rifle sights and ahigh comb on the stock.Broke it in thanksgiving morning when a buck and three does walked in.I got the buck and one doe and missed a doe before two of the does left.With a single shot.Thats a thanksgiving to remember.

My daughter and I also use the Rossi single shot in .44 mag. I picked it for the same reasons you did, plus it has a thumb flip safety, and was about $50 cheaper than the H&R rifle. Alot of people bad mouth the Rossi, but mine will shot one hole groups at 50 yds. and We've never lost or missed a deer yet.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Handi rifle would be a great start and if I remember right Mario from MSArmament (an INGO advertiser) has them for sale for right around your price range

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Renegade762
    Top Bottom