Newbie to Competitive shooting - Please help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I have been shooting for about 2 years now and I feel like (and have heard from guys who have been shooting for much longer) I am a pretty good shot (with a pistol especially). I was just wondering if someone could help me with a few questions I have:

1. What should I do to get into competitive shooting? (I literally have no clue)
    2. Are there different types/leagues/divisions etc?
    3. Who should I contact?
    4. Anything else a newbie should know about shooting competitively feel free to add.

Thanks.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There is a USPSA match this Sunday at the Atlanta Conservation Club. Read up on the gear and rules a little and show up. www.uspsa.org and there is a sticky for competition at the top of the shooting sports section of this website. You can be on my squad Sunday and we will show you the ropes.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I live in Muncie. I would be shooting a springfield XD 45 service model. I have a ported efk fire dragon barrel and it has a 3.5 lb trigger (I am telling you this because in that sticky post it said something about mods having to be in another division??? I think??)

I have all of the equipment except mag pouches.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Give us some info like where you live, what kind of gun you shoot and so forth.

Does something like this look fun?

Uhhhhh... YES! We don't have anything like that near us.
    Also, I wanted to say, I will not be able to make it this weekend. Is there anything the following weekends? I really want to get more involved in competitive shooting but I really know NOTHING about it, nor do I know how to go about finding out. I know there is a pistol club in Muncie but they do not have a contact number or anything.

Maybe I should just move to ATL... haha

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    IDPA is a fun sport as well. When I started I liked IDPA best because the targets are generally a little closer, it is scenario based (which I like) and you can get into the swing of *timer*draw*shoot* and learn the safety rules and stuff without the more complicated or distant targets. Having said that, shooting Texas Stars, swingers, and poppers in USPSA is really fun!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

Also, I wanted to say, I will not be able to make it this weekend. Is there anything the following weekends? I really want to get more involved in competitive shooting but I really know NOTHING about it, nor do I know how to go about finding out. I know there is a pistol club in Muncie but they do not have a contact number or anything.

Every Sunday there is a USPSA match within 1-2 hour drive of Indy.

IDPA and Steel Challenge matches are generally on Saturdays.

5th weekends are generally dormant or a special shoot. This year the 5th weekend is the state USPSA 7/29-7/31 in Warsaw Indiana. You must be a member to shoot this match, but spectating is free. All club matches do not require USPSA or IDPA memberships

Indygunracers.com will give you a good idea of what is around you.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I live in Muncie. I would be shooting a springfield XD 45 service model. I have a ported efk fire dragon barrel and it has a 3.5 lb trigger (I am telling you this because in that sticky post it said something about mods having to be in another division??? I think??)

I have all of the equipment except mag pouches.

I think the ported barrel puts you in open class, this is not a problem but you will be competeing against folks with dot sights and high magazine capacity.
    If you have the stock barrel your gun would fit into limited 10 very nicely
    If you want to try it out I have an XDm 40 that you can shoot
    just bring 200 rounds of ammo and let me know

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009

I think we missed this. Atlanta Conservation Club is North of Indianapolis. I'm not sure how far it is is from Muncie, but I would guess somewhere around one hour. First shot 10:00 a.m. this Sunday. Registration closes at 9:45 a.m.:yesway:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Atlanta Conservation Club: Location and Directions

If you are intereseted in this weekend come out and bring your gear. Youll be sorry if you dont. 99% of the people that come out and just watch wish they had brought their pistol. Find me and your first match will be on us. If you need mag pouches or something just ask. These are some of the best people around and most of us will let you borrow what you need if we have it. Its no big deal to shoot what you have for your first match. but I promise you will have a blast. No pun intended!! Saturday I have a class/training session that starts at 1 pm if you want to stop buy and take a look you are welcome to. Sunday will be the club match.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I think the ported barrel puts you in open class, this is not a problem but you will be competeing against folks with dot sights and high magazine capacity.
    If you have the stock barrel your gun would fit into limited 10 very nicely
    If you want to try it out I have an XDm 40 that you can shoot
    just bring 200 rounds of ammo and let me know

Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate the offer. I will not be able to make it this weekend because I have a prior commitment. I am going to 21st century's BIG SALE on saturday and then I have plans with the old lady and her fam on Sunday. I would like to come out next weekend tho if there is anything going on then. Please let me know when and where the next matches are.

Thanks again.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Atlanta Conservation Club: Location and Directions

If you are intereseted in this weekend come out and bring your gear. Youll be sorry if you dont. 99% of the people that come out and just watch wish they had brought their pistol. Find me and your first match will be on us. If you need mag pouches or something just ask. These are some of the best people around and most of us will let you borrow what you need if we have it. Its no big deal to shoot what you have for your first match. but I promise you will have a blast. No pun intended!! Saturday I have a class/training session that starts at 1 pm if you want to stop buy and take a look you are welcome to. Sunday will be the club match.

First off, Thanks for being so welcoming. Secondly, like my previous post suggests, I will not be able to make it this weekend. Is there anything going on next weekend? How much does it cost to participate? How often do these competitive shoots take place and are they always at the Atlanta Conservation Club? Someone mentioned that on the 5th weekend there is a State Tournament... What do you have to do to qualify for that? Achievements? Cost?

Sorry for all the questions and Thanks for all your help and info. I think I would really have so much fun doing this!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate the offer. I will not be able to make it this weekend because I have a prior commitment. I am going to 21st century's BIG SALE on saturday and then I have plans with the old lady and her fam on Sunday. I would like to come out next weekend tho if there is anything going on then. Please let me know when and where the next matches are.

Thanks again.

next weekend is the Indiana State and Section match in Warsaw Indiana at the Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club. Attached is a link to that forum on Ingo. It is the largest state/section match and also larger than many area matches. Free to attend. Bring Safety glasses and ear protection and feel free to ask question and walk around. This will be 11 glorious stages to test every level of shooter. It also has a theme :D.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...indiana_uspsa_championship_stages_posted.html

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    First off, Thanks for being so welcoming. Secondly, like my previous post suggests, I will not be able to make it this weekend. Is there anything going on next weekend? How much does it cost to participate? How often do these competitive shoots take place and are they always at the Atlanta Conservation Club? Someone mentioned that on the 5th weekend there is a State Tournament... What do you have to do to qualify for that? Achievements? Cost?

Sorry for all the questions and Thanks for all your help and info. I think I would really have so much fun doing this!

No problem we have all asked the same questions that you are. The State shoot is up at Warsaw this time. And as far as USPSA matches that is it next weekend but Max Bedwell is putting on a practice/training day on the 30 or 31 I think down at South Central gun Club. Then the next match will be there the first sunday in August. To participate at the state match you have to be a USPSA member which isnt that big of a deal to do but will take a little time to do it. Then its best to be classified but not nessecary.
    Normal club matches cost $15-$20, to enter the state match it costs $100. Somebody posted a link on this thread that has a calendar for most of the compeditive matches around the state. If you cant get to a USPSA match try one of the others, Steel is always a good place to start.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    next weekend is the Indiana State and Section match in Warsaw Indiana at the Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club. Attached is a link to that forum on Ingo. It is the largest state/section match and also larger than many area matches. Free to attend. Bring Safety glasses and ear protection and feel free to ask question and walk around. This will be 11 glorious stages to test every level of shooter. It also has a theme :D.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...indiana_uspsa_championship_stages_posted.html
    You mean free to watch. Correct?

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    So is this the last two weekends for it until next season or what? I guess I am not understanding.

Oh no. We shoot March through November somewhere. Some clubs in southern indiana try to shoot year round.

Most states have a section match at some point during the club season. next weekend is ours. Approaching 290 entries from all over the Midwest. It shall be GLORIOUS :D

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Oh no. We shoot March through November somewhere. Some clubs in southern indiana try to shoot year round.

Most states have a section match at some point during the club season. next weekend is ours. Approaching 290 entries from all over the Midwest. It shall be GLORIOUS :D

Are you going to kick ass?

Oh and how is it scored? By time completed or what?

Top Bottom