• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    How many rounds of 44 mag would you have to shoot annually to make the cost savings of reloading worth the time and investment? I have a marlin 1894 and only shoot 300-500 round annually. I usually shoot the Winchester White Box 240 grain JSP and pay approx .92 a bullet. So I am spending anywhere from 276 - 460 shooting. If it is a good plan to reload, where would I start looking to find the equipment I would need. I used to reload shotgun shells but have since given that up because I don't bird hunt or clay shoot often any longer.

The answer to this question would probably depend on how long you plan to shoot your .44 mag. If only for a year or two, it might not be worth it. However, if this is going to be a long term habit or if you have other calibers that you would like to reload for, then you will see significant savings. In my case, I made the decision to reload when I couldn't find 9mm after Sandy Hook. Reloading is more than saving money over factory or availability in times of crises. You also have many more options to make a custom load that fits your needs and budget.

When starting out, purchasing a reloading manual or two is definitely a good idea. Although, with the Internet so readily available, what I did was use YouTube to gain an idea of what was involved and then go right to the manufacturer's websites for reloading data.

This video right here is what finally convinced me that I could reload: [video]https://youtu.be/f6q8OoPWM9o[/video]
    Feel free to search YouTube for other videos. There are quite a few out there. I don't recommend depending only on reloading data that comes through a video or Internet forum. Always go right to the powder manufacturers or a reloading manual to confirm the information before you use it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is the kit I got https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Breech-Lock-Challenger/dp/B003ISVWC6

As mentioned before, the beam scale leaves a lot to be desired. The pointer isn't very intuitive to read. Also it doesn't seem that many people realize you can lock down the 1grain slider. If you don't its really easy tap while working making you have to reset it. I did end up getting a cheap frankford arsenal digital scale. I went back and forth checking weights between the two scales and with the beam scale, it is possible to get +/- .1gr measurements.

It also seems that people either love or hate the powder measure. If you end up with it, the first thing you have to do is run a hopper of powder through it. It becomes way more consistent after that. Extruded powders don't really measure consistently. However, I've never really read reviews on any powder measure they work well through. Ball powders work extremely well.

I've gone back and forth about getting the lee turret. For me I decided that since I currently only load 30-30 and enough of the work happens off the press, The increase in speed probably ins't enough for me to worry about it. Now, if I ever got a caliber that I didn't have to consider trimming every time, I'd probably reconsider and get the turret or even a progressive.

I also don't have a tumbler. I use the lee trimmer and chuck it up in my drill. So after I resize, I run the cutter then I grab a paper towel and clean off the lube while running the drill. I won't win any shiniest brass contests, however, its clean and ready to go.

I hate to tell you this but..... I bought the same kit, lol. It will for sure get you going. It's loaded a lot of ammo! The powder drop: It's ok for ball and flake powders. Not so much for stick. If I use it I get adjusted to drop some where around .2-.4 grains under and use a RCBS trickler to dial it in. I also use a digital scale. Normally I usually just use a small spoon and the trickler. After you have done it for a while you can scoop within a grain or so on a good day.

I like the Lee Lube. It doesn't take much lube. I use about a half a drop on my finger and that is enough for 2 - 3 cases. A slightly damp cloth will wipe it all off. I usually just run the finished rounds threw the tumbler for a few minutes. Getting a tumbler would be great but people have used a scotch bright pad or steel wool for years and years!

Have fun with it!

FWIW, I like the Lee quick trim die setup. It works right on the press. Setup is a breeze.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    As Red said, Np, it's safe. There is not enough force developed in the tumbler to set a primer off. Now this is for dry tumble only. Wet might not work so well, lol.

And it isn't something you have to do that way if you are uncomfortable. Damp rag is fine too.

FYI: Carbide dies don't require lube. And if you are just neck sizing rifle brass same deal, no lube needed.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have read about others doing this as well. You are talking a completed cartridge, right? Primed and charged?

No worries about tumbling these and getting an accidental discharge?

The only potential concern is if you tumble cases too long and have a low fill percentage; some folks claim powders and their coatings can break down, causing pressure issues. I'm not sure if that would take hours or days, but the notion has at least some merit. I just give each case a quick wipe with a rag before I put it in the loading box...it takes a few extra minutes, but isn't a "problem".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The only potential concern is if you tumble cases too long and have a low fill percentage; some folks claim powders and their coatings can break down, causing pressure issues. I'm not sure if that would take hours or days, but the notion has at least some merit. I just give each case a quick wipe with a rag before I put it in the loading box...it takes a few extra minutes, but isn't a "problem".

I also tumble mine, but probably for only half an hour or so, and maybe less. Doesn't take long to remove the lube.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    My cheap 44 plinking loads cost me $0.15 with commercial cast bullets. You already have a big pile of brass, right? My heavier XTP loads cost $0.39.

How cheap would you like to be?
    Lee Loader: $30, plus I prefer a scale($20). Mallet $10. So you're making ammo for $60. but that's not a good option. The next two things are you options.
    Don't have any room and you're super cheap:
    1. Lee Hand Press. I reloaded many rounds of 44 magnum on this press and it paid for it's self very quickly. Should have you cranking out ammo in a confined space for about $130 all in. I conservatively made about 50 rounds an hour like this, weighing charges and such.
    2. Lee Turret. There's no reason to buy a single stage bench top press for 44 magnum when you can have the turret for the same money. This will put you around 150-250 all in, depending on your accessories(like a quality powder measure).

You don't Need a bullet puller(You shouldn't make enough mistakes to justify one!)
    You don't Need a tumbler! (make friends with someone who has one or wipe them off as others mentioned)

You Need a press/dies, a scale, and a reloading book or three.

ars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    Zionsville
    I have learned and received much good advice so far. I am leaning towards a LEE Turret. However, I have ordered a 2 books I am going to read before I pull the trigger. To answer a few questions; I will be reloading 44 indefinitely. I am a huge fan of the load for white tail deer hunting and I feel very safe with my 44 revolver in my vehicle. For a woods gun, a Marlinn 1894 in 44 mag is as about as good as it gets for under 100 yard shots. I also will eventually begin reloading 9mm as this is my daily carry gun. I am not as eager for this as I can find target ammo for $10 or less for a box of 50. I am just getting into the world of rifles and I am going to purchase either an AR10 or get a the 450 bushmaster in an AR platform. I would then be reloading either 308 or 450 bushmaster. I have been paying for college for a while now and my daughter has received a scholarship for her last semester. I now have a windfall of unexpected money but don't want to waste on short term or flippant purchases.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I definitely think you will benefit from reloading. Unless you get into loading bulk, you will be fine with the turret or even a nice single stage. I thought about getting a Lee Turret to do 9mm and 38s and using my RCBS for rifles. However, I don't shoot enough and don't mind doing it all on my single stage. I guess the more I have my hands on the brass, the more chances of catching a bad piece. I just enjoy the entire process. It definitely gives me something to do in the winters when I am not shooting my bow. Since you are thinking of adding 9mm and possible rifle cartridges, you will be money ahead. Or as some will say, you won't save money, you will just shoot more!!!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I definitely think you will benefit from reloading. Unless you get into loading bulk, you will be fine with the turret or even a nice single stage. I thought about getting a Lee Turret to do 9mm and 38s and using my RCBS for rifles. However, I don't shoot enough and don't mind doing it all on my single stage. I guess the more I have my hands on the brass, the more chances of catching a bad piece. I just enjoy the entire process. It definitely gives me something to do in the winters when I am not shooting my bow. Since you are thinking of adding 9mm and possible rifle cartridges, you will be money ahead. Or as some will say, you won't save money, you will just shoot more!!!

I felt exactly the same way, but when my son and his friends starting shooting more 9mm, I went ahead and bought the LCT. I can't say I really "enjoy" reloading 9mm or my wife's 380 rounds; it's just kind of tedious, loading in volume, but the LCT made it a lot faster. You still handle every case, but only twice; when you put it in the shell-holder and when you take it out. If you've got the space and a couple hundred bucks, you might just find that using the Lee Turret for semi-auto pistol rounds gives you more time to enjoy other types of reloading. YMMV. :)

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    Get some 000 steel wool instead of the paper towel...removes the lube AND makes the brass shiny. I use this technique on the neck and shoulder area because it makes it easier to see small splits.

I have some 0000 I've thought about trying but I wasn't sure if steel wool would hurt the cases or not and just never remembered to look it up when I got back to my laptop. I'll give em a try now.

I've used the green scotch brite pads as well but they seem to wear out faster than I'd like and usually don't have any extra around when I want one.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have some 0000 I've thought about trying but I wasn't sure if steel wool would hurt the cases or not and just never remembered to look it up when I got back to my laptop. I'll give em a try now.

I've used the green scotch brite pads as well but they seem to wear out faster than I'd like and usually don't have any extra around when I want one.

You'll find the steel wool to be even less aggressive than the scotch brite pads, which I DO use, but with a light touch. The steel wool will actually make the brass look more polished, whereas the scotch brite pads remove material, giving brass more of a "brushed" look. I don't know that either could ever be dangerous, in terms of removing too much material...I suspect it would get too hot to hold long before that was a concern.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    You'll find the steel wool to be even less aggressive than the scotch brite pads, which I DO use, but with a light touch. The steel wool will actually make the brass look more polished, whereas the scotch brite pads remove material, giving brass more of a "brushed" look. I don't know that either could ever be dangerous, in terms of removing too much material...I suspect it would get too hot to hold long before that was a concern.

Had some time to try a few with the steel wool. Now I'm afraid to touch them and get my finger prints all over them. :) Thanks for the tip!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Had some time to try a few with the steel wool. Now I'm afraid to touch them and get my finger prints all over them. :) Thanks for the tip!

On the plus side, if your wife comes with you to the shooting range and needs to touch up her lipstick, she can just use one of your cases for a mirror! :D

Top Bottom