• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Allright, I'd like to begin assembling the parts to build an AR. This will be a multi-month thing as I assemble the extra cash. I'd like to try and pick up as many things used as I can to save cash ( i'm cheap)

so some questions:
    1. are there any basic guides concerning this for a first timer?
    2. What are the pieces that you should not scrimp on and buy good the 1st time?
    3. any generally accepted good / bad brands? I don't need the best, but would like to put together a quality rifle with the focus on durability / no failures.
    4. What pieces must be purchased through a FFL ?
    5. any basic price list for all the pieces ?

My intentions are to use this as a deer rifle, most likely in one of the now allowed wild-cat calibers. Any comments on the now avialable calibers? price? baliistics?

would also like to be able to convert it to a 22 caliber setup for cheap plinking.

There seems to be so much info out there, and I just don't know where to start. . .

:thatshot:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Allright, I'd like to begin assembling the parts to build an AR. This will be a multi-month thing as I assemble the extra cash. I'd like to try and pick up as many things used as I can to save cash ( i'm cheap)
    This is a bad hobby to have then! :-)

so some questions:
    The site ar15.com is a fantastic resource, great helpful info.
    All of them really, but definitely spend the money on a quality upper and if you decide to run optics, don't waste money on cheap junk (it saves you a lot in the long run).
    3. any generally accepted good / bad brands? I don't need the best, but would like to put together a quality rifle with the focus on durability / no failures.
    I've used Del-Ton and was very happy with the upper and service I got there. About 500 rounds through it and zero issues. Great prices as well.
    Lower receiver (ie. serial numbered part).
    $700-$1400, just depends if you're getting a DPMS or a Colt.
    My intentions are to use this as a deer rifle, most likely in one of the now allowed wild-cat calibers. Any comments on the now avialable calibers? price? baliistics?

would also like to be able to convert it to a 22 caliber setup for cheap plinking.

There seems to be so much info out there, and I just don't know where to start. . .

:thatshot:
    Hope that helps! :ar15:

Links:
    Del-Ton, Inc. A complete line of AR-15 Rifles, AR 15 Parts and AR15 Accessories.
    AR15.COM
    Brownells - AR-15 Build Videos

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

AR15.COM :: Forums :: Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions!

The bolt group and barrel are the heart of the AR system; buy the best you can afford. You might be able to get by with no-name gunshow fire control parts or a Leapers/UTG receiver extension and stock, but a sh*tty barrel or bolt will ruin your day pretty quick.

3. any generally accepted good / bad brands?

Geez, do I even want to go there? Conventional wisdom used to hold that "ABC" guns/components (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt) were the only ones worth buying. Then it became "ABCR" with the addition of Rock River. Now, there's a plethora of high-quality players in the AR game, including Bravo Company, Global Tactical, LMT, White Oak, Smith & Wesson, Noveske, Smith Enterprises, JP, Doublestar, and others.

melensdad will be along shortly to talk up Olympic Arms. ;)

Only the (stripped) lower receiver, as it bears the serial number. It is the "firearm" in the eyes of the BATF; everything else is just parts.

Nope; prices run all over the board, depending on vendor and various options. You may find "complete kits" at a gun show or online that advertise "everything but the stripped lower receiver" for $500-600 - typically from vendors like Model 1, M&A Parts, Sherluk, etc. My advice is to pass on those, as the parts are often of questionable origin and quality.

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Allright, any brands to stay away from, or are most of the major brands now producing quality AR parts?

What are the local (indy) shops that carry lowers?

Guess I'll head to arfcom and check out the guides posted above.

Any comments on the Indiana Deer friendly calibers that the AR can be chambered for?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Allright, any brands to stay away from, or are most of the major brands now producing quality AR parts?

IME, stay away from the cheap imported stuff like Leapers/UTG and ProMag, and from generic gun-show parts of unverifiable origin.

Most of 'em did, at least before the election. Now they're either sold out or wanting outrageous prices if they do get any in stock. I hear receivers were plentiful at the 1500 show last weekend, and were running $145 and up.

Any comments on the Indiana Deer friendly calibers that the AR can be chambered for?

The only guys I personally know who hunt deer with ARs in Indiana are shooting .458 SOCOM.

maxcoen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    North Side

Pretty tough to find right now especially if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg. You could try:

Law enforcment firearms and get on the list it may take a while. But still OK prices. LINK to forum on LEF

or call essentials arms they have lowers in stock a no name brand but I have heard good things. Ship to FFL

OR

Gunbroker.com and get your CC ready because it's going to cost you.

Also I was at Wyatts in Cicero on Monday and saw one in the case but did not ask the $ I think it was CMMG

Good luck.

Top Bottom