• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    So, in the last few weeks I saw John Wick (W/ Keanu Reeves and revenge plot) and Sabotage (w/ Arnold as crooked DEA). These, and other recent movies, movies got me thinking that Hollywood is doing a little better at training their actors to look/be more proficient with their firearms. Granted, they're not perfect, but the weapons they use and HOW they use them is light years ahead of my favorite action flicks from the 80's and 90's. Even in the credits, I noticed them thanking Schmidt&bender, Larue, Glock, LWRC, etc.

Realistic reloads & round counts, CQB with rifle and pistol, squad tactics, weak-hand shooting after injury, and choices in weapons all seem closer to reality.
    And yes, I'm an arm-chair "operator" who goes shooting once a month (if I'm lucky).. so take all these comments with a huge grain of salt.

My questions to you, dear INGOers:
    1) Have you noticed similar trends in movies from the last 5 years?
    2) What are your favorite semi-accurate "gun" movies from last 5 years?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've noticed they have gotten better. I still see the occasional scope/optic on backwards though, and that drives me nuts.

My favorite recent "gun movie" is probably The Mechanic. Lots of sexy 1911 in that movie.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The most accurate gun movie I have seen is Way of the Gun. Great shot gun tactics. One BIG mistake when it came to the full auto scene though but it only lasted one loooooooong burst and a completely flat line of too many bullet strikes.

Everything I learned about guns and movies I learned from Stephen Hunter novels.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I haven't seen either of the movies you are talking about but now I think I'll have to watch them! I have noticed things being better though, Jack Reacher is a great example of that, there is really only about one thing in the whole movie that I thought was stupid... And it wasn't even weapons related but rather the choice to fight a guy instead of shooting him haha

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I haven't seen either of the movies you are talking about but now I think I'll have to watch them! I have noticed things being better though, Jack Reacher is a great example of that, there is really only about one thing in the whole movie that I thought was stupid... And it wasn't even weapons related but rather the choice to fight a guy instead of shooting him haha

haha, yeah. I remember that near the end. and yes, good movie also. (I even geeked out a bit because they show reloading in the opening sequence and Jack Reacher knows that any shooter has to reload to afford to shoot in volume... my wife just rolled her eyes when I said he had a reloading room in the movie)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    some of the military dramas/"biographies" come to mind as well.
    Lone Survivor
    Zero dark thirty
    American Sniper
    etc.

For the most part, I would consider these mostly "accurate" in their portrayal of handling guns, reloads, etc.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    reacher and wick great accurate movies. confused on wicks form in some scenes.

I think some of that was mixing "bling" with tactical priorities. I think that movie was directed or adapted by a couple of stunt guys with lots of actual firearms experience under their belts.
    In Wick, his CQB pistol handling was fun to watch, keeping pistol close to body when needed, etc.
    You might be talking about a few parts where he holds a guy down, shoots another guys a few feet away, and comes back to the guy on the ground with another head/body shot. As a character he seemed almost infatuated with getting "two in the chest and one above the vest" which fits his role as a hitman perfectly. This only seemed odd when the last shot was interrupted/delayed just to make it look cooler, like after a reload, taking on another guy, etc. Again, it fits his role well, and I ended up liking the movie quite a bit.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    haha, yeah. I remember that near the end. and yes, good movie also. (I even geeked out a bit because they show reloading in the opening sequence and Jack Reacher knows that any shooter has to reload to afford to shoot in volume... my wife just rolled her eyes when I said he had a reloading room in the movie)

The Jack Reacher movie was about 50-50. I didn't notice too many gun mistakes, but the chick that played the DA character was awful. She made so many basic mistakes and was portrayed as being a complete moron. Not gun-wise, just in general. The plot relied on her to be an idiot and terrible at her job. I hate movies like that.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    I think some of that was mixing "bling" with tactical priorities. I think that movie was directed or adapted by a couple of stunt guys with lots of actual firearms experience under their belts.
    In Wick, his CQB pistol handling was fun to watch, keeping pistol close to body when needed, etc.
    You might be talking about a few parts where he holds a guy down, shoots another guys a few feet away, and comes back to the guy on the ground with another head/body shot. As a character he seemed almost infatuated with getting "two in the chest and one above the vest" which fits his role as a hitman perfectly. This only seemed odd when the last shot was interrupted/delayed just to make it look cooler, like after a reload, taking on another guy, etc. Again, it fits his role well, and I ended up liking the movie quite a bit.
    yea cqb scenes where he holds the gun close and crooked

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Sean Penn is in a new movie with lots of guns. I'm sure everyone will be running out to see that one.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

That is awesome! I get similar reactions from my girlfriend when it comes to gun, or hunting stuff. She likes it too, but as she says "you take it to another level." She will be on INGO soon enough though! It's only a matter of time!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm surprised not one has mentioned "Heat."

I award you 10,000 Throttletony points!! It's a great movie. I guess I was just thinking more recent.
    Yes, Val Kilmer got down to some pretty fast reload times if I remember correctly. I saw some footage of reloading drills on timers and they did alright. Same thing with Bradley Cooper in A-Team.

Top Bottom