• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'll post some pics when I get a chance but I had a High Standard .22LR given to me from my father-in-law. I've had cycling problems with it, as it seems to want to only shoot target type loads and not something high velocity like CCI Stingers. I've noticed there is not much of a feed ramp as with my SR22, which shoots everything.

But I took it because it was a gift from a WWII vet and has since passed away. Are they worth keeping? It weighs a ton. Even though it has problems feeding, it spot on accurate. Or any suggestions in getting it to feed more easily?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Are they worth keeping? It weighs a ton. Even though it has problems feeding, it spot on accurate. Or any suggestions in getting it to feed more easily?

No they are not. You need something polymer and lightweight that will feed anything...Bring that vintage boat anchor down to my shop and I will see that it gets a good home...:):

Just kidding...I wouldn't take three sr 22's for one vintage High Standard .22 semi auto...They are classy weapons. Congrats.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    There is virtually no feed ramp. The magazines have to be tuned and consistent/quality ammo used, but once you get them running right they're some of the most accurate and best shooting .22's ever made. Even volquartsen can't touch their triggers. Mine is an heirloom as well and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    403948374.jpg

High Standard Mag Tuning

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    There is virtually no feed ramp. The magazines have to be tuned and consistent/quality ammo used, but once you get them running right they're some of the most accurate and best shooting .22's ever made. Even volquartsen can't touch their triggers. Mine is an heirloom as well and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    403948374.jpg

High Standard Mag Tuning

Thank you for the tip on mag tuning and the link. It came with a single mag and no tool, so I'll have to see how my ammo matches up with the correct angle in the link. Right now I can get about two shots before it hangs up. As noted above, I found that general round nose target loads (no plating, just lead) seem to cycle best. I think my father-in-law had it sighted in well, because it's spot on at twenty five yards on my range out back. Looking forward to examining the mag and see if the tuning works.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    They weren't designed to shoot high velocity ammo. Continued use of high velocity ammo will accelerate wear and can cause the frame to crack prematurely. If you want something to shoot high velocity ammo, sell the High Standard and get a Ruger Mark whatever.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    They weren't designed to shoot high velocity ammo. Continued use of high velocity ammo will accelerate wear and can cause the frame to crack prematurely. If you want something to shoot high velocity ammo, sell the High Standard and get a Ruger Mark whatever.

I've got something that shoots everything...that being an SR22. I just want to target shoot it and get it to cycle more than twice. But it seems like a fairly hefty piece of metal to crack with a high velocity .22lr round. Without the feed ramp or barely there ramp, it seems that the shape of the bullet has more to do with it, as well as the weight. The 40 gr. bullets seem to work best.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've got something that shoots everything...that being an SR22. I just want to target shoot it and get it to cycle more than twice. But it seems like a fairly hefty piece of metal to crack with a high velocity .22lr round. Without the feed ramp or barely there ramp, it seems that the shape of the bullet has more to do with it, as well as the weight. The 40 gr. bullets seem to work best.
    Just stick with CCI Standard Velocity, Wolf Target, Aguila Target, etc. and you should be fine. Of course .22 ammo is pretty hard to find right now.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I like my High Standard Sport King better than either one of my Rugers, and I really like my Rugers. I friend talked me into buying one, and what he said about it was true. Great pistol! Mine only came with one mag. I contacted High Standard in Texas and thet sent me a new one for $40. They do need tinkered with a little, but once you get the mags right they are as reliable as the Rugers. I looked up my serial number. Looks like mine was made in 1956. Congrats on yours!

1370209353_zpse33f151b.jpg

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    This is a forum that will give tons of info. about your high standard RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!
    scroll to High Standard and enjoy all the info
    It is not bullet wt. that causes the frame to crack But a metal flaw use S.V.ammunition and change the drive spring often ,they wear riding in the slide.Adhere to what you can learn on the R.F.forum you have a jewel

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Double Nine

I'll post some pics when I get a chance but I had a High Standard .22LR given to me from my father-in-law. I've had cycling problems with it, as it seems to want to only shoot target type loads and not something high velocity like CCI Stingers. I've noticed there is not much of a feed ramp as with my SR22, which shoots everything.

But I took it because it was a gift from a WWII vet and has since passed away. Are they worth keeping? It weighs a ton. Even though it has problems feeding, it spot on accurate. Or any suggestions in getting it to feed more easily?

I know this will not help you with your question, but...............
    My Nephew gave me a High Standard Double Nine Revolver, in as new condition. It is the nickel plated model W104. In the few months that I have had it, I can not believe
    how much the value has increased.
    In discussing this revolver with my local gun guys, they all wish they had it and have offered to buy it.
    Don't know much about Hi Standard pistols, but I assume the same type of "gun love" that I have seen for mine, might also apply to yours.
    Enjoy it!

Top Bottom