• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Upon further inspection, the gas block was both a millimeter from the barrel stop and slightly offset. I've readjusted it. What are the odds this was the cause of the problem?

Like Harry said, the odds are high. How good/deep is your dimple for the gas block? If it isn't deep enough, this would be a cause for the misalignment.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have had several friends with the same issue over the past year. In every case, All I did was realign the gas block. This is probably a common mistake among new builders.
    The issues were with 1 458 SOCOM, 3 .223's amd a 300 Blackout. Good shooting!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Upon further inspection, the gas block was both a millimeter from the barrel stop and slightly offset. I've readjusted it. What are the odds this was the cause of the problem?

Possibly, but I don't think that's the problem. The hole in the gas block is quite a bit larger than the gas port in the barrel. I've taken some apart and you can see by the carbon ring around gas port that the gas block wasn't perfectly alinged but the gun still ran just fine because there was no overlapping

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

one mm forward or back most likely won't give you an issue. How many gas blocks have been installed for free float handguards AFTER removing the handguard cap (Forward collar).
    However just a slight twist will cut the gas flow in half in a heartbeat.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

From your very first post my guess was gas block alignment. I've had to fix several myself.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Just a quick update: the issue I had on a 556 was mag related. I had a similar issue on a new 300blk, but it's now solved. After running 30 rounds through it slowly over the last two trips to the range, I had many failure to feed issues. I believe it was tied to subsonic ammo and a new buffer spring. After I worked my way though 30 rounds, I popped a mag full of another 30 and they all fed perfectly. I believe the combination of a little bit of wear on the spring and a little bit of breaking in the feed ramp, and I'm good to go.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Glad to hear you are back up and running. I had the same issue with my 300 blk. Tried several things and it ended up being the gas block misaligned. Time to send more rounds down range!

Top Bottom