• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grube555

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Have you all seen this:

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Thursday he is willing to go before the NAACP and urge blacks to demand paychecks, not food stamps.

What do you all think about this?

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Paychecks are earned, not demanded. Thus the tactic is flawed.

It does, however, shed more light on the fact that neat is yet another statist pig that is willing to substitute the demand and control model for merit.

If you watch and listen closely, they are more than willing to tell you what they are.

Good job newt.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Have you all seen this:

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Thursday he is willing to go before the NAACP and urge blacks to demand paychecks, not food stamps.

What do you all think about this?

Do you have a link? Also, what do you think about it?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

No kidding. While Newt is a disgusting source of entertainment for me, something about the way the OP is presenting this doesn't pass the sniff test. There's more to the story and I'd like to know what it is.

FTR, I'm betting the "paychecks not welfare" mantra is being used in ageless American ideology of "we don't want handouts, just the opportunity to do for ourselves."

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Why limit it just to the NAACP?

Plenty of people, of all races, creeds, ethnicities, inter alia, need to be told to get out of the wagon and help us pull the wagon.

Exactly.

Newt played on an opportunity to take a dig at a stereotype that plays well with people from which he needs a vote.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Why limit it just to the NAACP?

Plenty of people, of all races, creeds, ethnicities, inter alia, need to be told to get out of the wagon and help us pull the wagon.

I'm not sure that "demanding" a paycheck is any better than "demanding" food stamps.

This whole idea that people are entitled to "demand" anything it all is part of the problem, not the solution.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm not sure that "demanding" a paycheck is any better than "demanding" food stamps.

This whole idea that people are entitled to "demand" anything it all is part of the problem, not the solution.

Demanding a paycheck implies you entered into a contract. Work for pay.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Newt should have just quoted the portion of King's "IHave a Dream" speech regarding treating the Constitution as guaranteed payment on a check instead of a document limiting the powers of government.....

Doing so, however, would not play well to the National Association of American Colored People or Newt Gringich and his campaign.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I thought the comment was intended in a tongue in cheek manner (
    you're so used to demanding things why not "demand" a paycheck instead of handouts?) but without an actual source we're all just shooting in the dark here.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

No kidding. While Newt is a disgusting source of entertainment for me, something about the way the OP is presenting this doesn't pass the sniff test. There's more to the story and I'd like to know what it is.

FTR, I'm betting the "paychecks not welfare" mantra is being used in ageless American ideology of "we don't want handouts, just the opportunity to do for ourselves."

Yep. I think anybody painting this as another entitlement attitude is off the mark. Newt is right. They need to be demanding paychecks. As in "Get the frick out of business so people will start hiring again" demanding.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Yep. I think anybody painting this as another entitlement attitude is off the mark. Newt is right. They need to be demanding paychecks. As in "Get the frick out of business so people will start hiring again" demanding.

I find it hard to believe that this particular ethanol lobbyist has any interest in getting the government out of business.

But all we have from him is a half-sentence, so we'll really never know until he elaborates.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I find it hard to believe that this particular ethanol lobbyist has any interest in getting the government out of business.

But all we have from him is a half-sentence, so we'll really never know until he elaborates.

Gee, that's funny. I don't recall saying Newt was advocating that.

grube555

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011

It was reported by the Washington Associated Press today. Most news channels are reporting it tonight. I was hoping I misread something or was not getting the whole story. I think this is terrible. I want a very conservative Republican in office, not another Obama. This all stems from me being in a gas station and the gal in front of me paid for her polar pop and bag of ice with her EBT card then bought a pack of cigarettes with cash. I just had to step back and take a big breath...
    #1 Our government finds it to be a necessity to have polar pops and a bag of ice? Really? I know times are hard and I am all for helping out people that are down on their luck.
    #2 She doesn't have enough money for a pop and bag of ice, but she has twice as much money for a pack of cigarettes? Where do people get their entitlements from?
    Our system is so screwed up that it is sad. Now this man wants to just hand them some money! My parents had me in 1980 when they were 17 and he was laid off. They ate soup beans for a month straight and stole toilet paper from gas station bath rooms because his pride would not allow him to take free money. Now this man wants to just hand people cash and let them buy whatever they want. If they want a paycheck they can get a JOB! I am just sad that some things in life are guaranteed to people...like polar pops and ice!

Top Bottom