• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO. I am researching my next purchase and I could use some input.

Background: I decided that I needed a high powered bolt action rifle in .308. After more thought, I decided that .308 was silly and that .223 in a bolt action Savage would fit the bill. But now, the though of just getting a new upper has entered the picture.

Current rifles: AR-15 in .223 carbine and also a Savage .22.

Use of Rifle: realisticly, this is just a paper punching fun gun. I am not an experienced long range shooter but do have the desire to learn. It will not be used for hunting (unless it would fit the bill for varmints/coyotes, but the current AR could suffice so this is not a pure requirement). It would be rare to get to shoot past 200-300 yards.

Important factors to me: availability of ammo (not a reloader), availability of accessories/parts, ease of shooting, ideally affordable ammo, setup for accuracy.

Budget: would like to stay around the $500 mark so I can afford some nice glass.

With all of that rambling,what are your thoughts? If you think bolt gun, then what caliber? Or, do you think a 20" or 24" upper would be great?

Last thought...I really like the idea of the AccuTrigger. If I went with a new upper, I would be limited to my current DPMS trigger on my lower for time being...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In that price range. I would suggest a bolt action chambered in .223. I also would recommend a Mossberg 100ATR. I have one in chambered in .308 and love it. Nice trigger (comparable to the Savage accu-trigger) and is just as accurate as a Savage or Remington base model. You can get one with a synthetic stock for $350 new, $400 if you want a wood stock.

nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    if you just want something to shred paper with, i personally would find something that shoots .22LR. you can have hours and hours of fun for close to a penny a round, probably even less depending on what brand of ammo you buy. i like the idea of a bolt action though. theres just something satisfying about handling a bolt action rifle, even in small calibers.

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    In that price range I'd go with the savage...unless you can up it to ~650 then I'd go with a m&p 15 sport. I have a sport and a savage mark II in 22lr that I love. I'd love to get a savage in 223 at some point as well. Plinking with a bolt action is a little more fun to me. Slows me down and I tend to focus on my mechanics better.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I have no interest in another .22 and another 16" carbine AR, so we can rule those out.

It sounds like a bolt action .223 Savage seems to leading the charge. Any other thoughts?

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    If u have a 223 chambered AR and u want a bigger caliber why not go with a 308's daddy and get a 30-06. Good round and if u ever get a chance to shoot longer ranges or decide to hunt some larger game u have the equipment. I just put a CZ 30-06 in the safe and I luv it.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    If u have a 223 chambered AR and u want a bigger caliber why not go with a 308's daddy and get a 30-06. Good round and if u ever get a chance to shoot longer ranges or decide to hunt some larger game u have the equipment. I just put a CZ 30-06 in the safe and I luv it.

Valid point and the direction I was originally thinking. However, I really will not be shooting any further than 200 yards. Maybe, in a rare occasion, I would get the chance to shoot up to 400 yards. Wouldn't the .223 be plenty for any shooting up to 500 yards? I think that if I had the chance to shoot a longer distances, and had plenty of practice in, I would then look at a different gun if I were really dedicated to the idea.

This gun would not be a hunting rifle. If I needed a large caliber rifle for hunting, I would get another rifle.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    If you're just going to be plinking at 100-200yards why not just put some quality glass on your AR that you have now? A standard AR has more than enough capabilities to reach out to 300 yards with good glass and the right training behind the weapon.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Think about the Stevens 200 basically a pre accutrigger savage 110 (330$) timmeny trigger (110) that leaves you a little extra for glass. I shoot mine at 200 and it is plenty accurate for me Water bottles and coke cans all day. I've never grouped it I guess I should anyway here is mine I'm in it for about 500$ all together. I also painted the stock with templates I made

1335728353.jpg
    [/IMG]

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My two thoughts:
    1. You already have a .223 rifle. Have you considered a 24 inch barreled AR upper?
    2. Look for a used Savage. I picked up a Savage in 7mm Mag that was at the right price when I was looking.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    My two thoughts:
    1. You already have a .223 rifle. Have you considered a 24 inch barreled AR upper?
    2. Look for a used Savage. I picked up a Savage in 7mm Mag that was at the right price when I was looking.

Yes, a 24 inch upper has crossed my mind. However, two thoughts on that:

1) until I would buy a lower to go with it, I would be using my current DPMS lower. The trigger is not the best, and I feel like I would be loosing out with this trigger on a rig that I am trying to make a precision rig. Thoughts?
    2) is a 24 inch AR as accurate as a bolt action .223 (not talking about shooter, etc)? I was always under the I Impression that you could get more accuracy out of a bolt gun than an AR platform. Am I totally off on this?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes, a 24 inch upper has crossed my mind. However, two thoughts on that:

1) until I would buy a lower to go with it, I would be using my current DPMS lower. The trigger is not the best, and I feel like I would be loosing out with this trigger on a rig that I am trying to make a precision rig. Thoughts? Yes, but its something you could change down the road as funds permitted.
    2) is a 24 inch AR as accurate as a bolt action .223 (not talking about shooter, etc)? (Mine is) I was always under the I Impression that you could get more accuracy out of a bolt gun than an AR platform. Just depends I guess, the AR plateform is very accurate for semi-auto rifle. My 24" bench AR is a sub moa rifle with my handloads as well as factory match ammo. The standard AR trigger is a limiting factor in most AR's for precision shooting, but even then their not that bad. Am I totally off on this?

Answers in red, hope this helps a little.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    How about a Savage in .17 hmr? Cheap to shoot, accurate as hell, and the rifle's aren't much so you could put some nice glass on it and save money.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I see a lot of reference to Savage Model 10. On the Savage website, I am on overload.

Are the Model 10's all part of the "Law Enforcement Series"? What series/models should I look into of Savages? The main requirement is the Accu-trigger.

Top Bottom