• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So my google fo is not very strong it seems. Was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions for me.

im a active duty Marine stationed here but my home of record is Michigan. I usually just have to give a copy of my orders when I've bought guns from my LGS. Would it be the same for a NFA item? Seems trust is the smartest way to go. I was thinking my wife, and both my parents.

I will be do for orders around July and most likely be leaving the state. Possibly Back to NC but possibly a overseas duty station. What happens to my items if I get overseas orders. Would one of my trusts hold the items?

Right now im just looking to do 1 SBR and possibly 2 cans.

Just wanna know if it's worth it now or wait till i get out down the road...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would contact Marc Halata, he is a member here and a lawyer who can walk you though your NFA questions as well as set a trust up for you... I posted a link to his webpage below. Great guy to work with. I had him set up my trust and he will help me out with questions any time I ask. Can't go wrong with him IMO.

Home Page

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Scoutsniper, a little off topic, but do you have any idea of current suppressor status in Mich? Haven't kept up with everything Michigan for a while.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    One thing to keep in mind.......The Corps isn't going to let you keep your weapons on base unless they are locked in someone's armory. I have no clue as to the legalities of having an NFA item out of your possession and into The Corps possession. Not sure of the legalities of owning an NFA item while living in a state that prohibits your NFA items and leaving them somewhere where they are legal, but out of your possession now. Be aware that you probably won't be allowed to bring ANY weapons into most foreign countries anyway. (Japan is a good example.)

IANAL and I'm not current on USMC regulations and am no way competent on foreign country laws regarding NFA items.

Last edited:

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    One thing to keep in mind.......The Corps isn't going to let you keep your weapons on base unless they are locked in someone's armory. I have no clue as to the legalities of having an NFA item out of your possession and into The Corps possession. Not sure of the legalities of owning an NFA item while living in a state that prohibits your NFA items and leaving them somewhere where they are legal, but out of your possession now. Be aware that you probably won't be allowed to bring ANY weapons into most foreign countries anyway. (Japan is a good example.)

IANAL and I'm not current on USMC regulations and am no way competent on foreign country laws regarding NFA items.

never have and plan to never live on base Because of those reasons. If I do a trust I can leave my weapons with my parents who will be on the trust. And I don't plan to take anything with me if I have to do s tour over in Japan or Germany. They will be locked up at my parents. And Michigan has allowed SBR, SBS, and supressors since beginning last year.

i talked to Marc. Right now have to decide to jump in or not since I'm close to getting orders.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Recently suppressors have been allowed in Mich. What happened was that the attny General (Bill Schutte) came to the realization that the state had no laws regulating them. Presto - they became legal.

Scoutsniper, a little off topic, but do you have any idea of current suppressor status in Mich? Haven't kept up with everything Michigan for a while.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom