• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Just want to ensure I understand the comments from maverick and Kirk Freeman.

Based on comments above, ATF may soon change its rules negating the benefits of having a gun trust. Did I understand that correctly?

If this is the case, it seems wise to delay forming the trust until we are sure the changes will not take place. Correct?
    Or go ahead and get the trust and file any forms you think you will want in the future. My understanding is that 41P will not be retroactive and will only affect future transactions.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    These questions might be outside your normal realm of expertise, but I'm hoping you kind folks at least have some insight on how this might work with multiple states involved.

Is there any issue with creating a trust with trustees who reside in different states?

In my case, I'm active duty military living on orders in a state that is not my state of legal residence: should I get a lawyer from my state of duty station or from my state of legal residence, or does it even matter?

If I were to get orders to a state with unfavorable laws, would it benefit me to have weapons owned by a trust since possession could switch to a trustee who isn't going to that state without executing a sale or legal transfer?

Would it be any different handling NFA versus non-NFA items in such a circumstance? (I have no NFA items at this time, so I would have them initially purchased by the trust should any be acquired.)

Thanks for any input you've got! :ingo:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I have a question about trusts. I will (eventually) be building a 300BLK SBR. I will trust it up so that my wife and children can have it if/when I go the way of the dodo. How old do children have to be to be on the trust? I understand they cannot possess the rifle until they reach age, but I'd rather have them on from the get-go so I don't have to amend later.

Thanks!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Well this has helped prompt me to contact Marc. I hope to understand the differences between what he can create vs one of the cheapie $100 online trusts. I simply want to be able to efile for a form 1 to make the process faster. The first suppressor I bought took over nine flipping months for the stupid paperwork to clear the ATF.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Well this has helped prompt me to contact Marc. I hope to understand the differences between what he can create vs one of the cheapie $100 online trusts. I simply want to be able to efile for a form 1 to make the process faster. The first suppressor I bought took over nine flipping months for the stupid paperwork to clear the ATF.

You get a very knowledgeable person that is an expert in NFA Trust to talk with for ever. Marc is the real deal.

He will also make adjustments as life changes for a ridiculously small fee for ever.

It will be the best money spent for NFA items.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My trust is pre-41P thank goodness.

Since I was grandfathered in am i not subject to the new 41p rules for adding and removing trustees without having them fingerprinted and photod?
    So example. Can I today 4/18/19 add a new trustee and not have to have him fingerprinted, photod, background checked? Since my trust was created pre-41p?

And if YES,
    Does that only apply to all of the NFA items that were on my trust pre-41p? Or if I add a new suppressor tomorrow 4/19/19 to my pre-41p trust do I have to now get anyone on my trust fingerprinted and photod and background checked? Or No, the old rules apply for my trust?
    Thanks in advance

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    In Feb, I asked a similar question and got tons of feedback. Thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/465726-questions-practical-usage-trust.html

Based on that thread, and further research, it is my understanding that fingerprints are now only required when an item is added to a trust (i.e. you purchase another suppressor). At that point, everybody allowed by the trust (owner and trustees) must be fingerprinted. However if you are not adding an item, then you can add and remove trustees at will without any fingerprinting.

Please note I am not a lawyer, I don't even pretend to be one, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn for YEARS!
    --Rick

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    My trust is pre-41P thank goodness.

Since I was grandfathered in am i not subject to the new 41p rules for adding and removing trustees without having them fingerprinted and photod?
    So example. Can I today 4/18/19 add a new trustee and not have to have him fingerprinted, photod, background checked? Since my trust was created pre-41p?

And if YES,
    Does that only apply to all of the NFA items that were on my trust pre-41p? Or if I add a new suppressor tomorrow 4/19/19 to my pre-41p trust do I have to now get anyone on my trust fingerprinted and photod and background checked? Or No, the old rules apply for my trust?
    Thanks in advance

That's not how any of this works

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    well that's not helpful in the slightest. Please elaborate and help the class.
    I was asking questions, not stating any facts

Regardless of when the trust was established, you still fall under 41P regulations. There is no grandfathering clause.

Under 41P you can add or remove people from a trust whenever you want without any notification to the ATF. *Unless you have stamps pending. If you add someone to your tryst while stamps are pending you must send in a responsible person questionnaire and the updated trust for that stamp only.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Any suggestions for an attorney in Hamilton or Howard County to modify an NFA trust? I have a few items in a trust set up using an online service which I now regret as a false economy. I'd like to modify/rewrite the trust with a local attorney.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Marc Halata is not in Howard county, but I am and I have no regrets using him. Last time I checked, Guy Relford doesn't do trusts.

Top Bottom