• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    But he used IN attys becuase he does not practice law in IN so how can he defend it? I'm clueless on law and figured you have to be license in the state to defend it right?? or since it's a federal issue it's a federal atty license you need? :dunno:

Im not sure how this would work, but from what I understand, the IN lawyer only reviews the trust once its written to make sure its in accordance with IN laws.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Bringing this thread back to life....What is the difference between a NFA Trust and a Living Trust, and who here has set up their own and how was the experience?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Bringing this thread back to life....What is the difference between a NFA Trust and a Living Trust, and who here has set up their own and how was the experience?

I think they're the same thing. People just call them NFA trusts because its suppossedly best to only put NFA items in it, and not to have other assets in there along with your NFA stuff.

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    Anyone post the info of the attorneys that do this in our state? Still haven't seen any info. I'd rather keep my $ right here. Also if this FL guy is having an IN lawyer review it why not go the quicken route and have a local guy review it?? Just some food for thought.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Anyone post the info of the attorneys that do this in our state? Still haven't seen any info. I'd rather keep my $ right here. Also if this FL guy is having an IN lawyer review it why not go the quicken route and have a local guy review it?? Just some food for thought.

Or find the lawyer he is having review it and higher them to write it.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    I am confused about the whole trust thing. The Indiana Code makes it a little more confusing to me. Are there any fees to state need to be paid to start or keep a trust going? How about fees paid or to keep going federally?

Any routine maintained needed with a trust? Once its set is it a thing that doesn't need to be touched til someone dies? Lots of questions. Do I determine on the fly who is added or removed from the trust. What items are added too? Do I need to report any of this to any agency?

Probably questions for a lawyer.

Do you guys think that ATF could make all trust invalid? Just go around confiscating weapons?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I am confused about the whole trust thing. The Indiana Code makes it a little more confusing to me. Are there any fees to state need to be paid to start or keep a trust going? How about fees paid or to keep going federally?

Any routine maintained needed with a trust? Once its set is it a thing that doesn't need to be touched til someone dies? Lots of questions. Do I determine on the fly who is added or removed from the trust. What items are added too? Do I need to report any of this to any agency?

Probably questions for a lawyer.

Do you guys think that ATF could make all trust invalid? Just go around confiscating weapons?

There are no fees with a trust. You pay one time for the drafting of the trust, and that's it. I'm still not 100% clear on how adding and removing people work, it is a little confusing. I was really worried and nervous about screwing something up with mine, but over time, I think I was just overreacting and getting that uncomfortable feeling the ATF wants you to get.

With the popularity of trusts these days, I don't think there's any way they could just declare them not allowed and start taking guns. I think they would have to at least allow some time to tranfer to another holder.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I'm not sure what Jon Spurr charges. He is a nice guy who I'm sure is reasonable. I believe he is even an Appleseed instructor. On this forum his name is Eddie, although he no longer is active here.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You can add/remove people from the trust at will. You as the grantor (author) of the trust have control of everything. You would simply make up a sheet of paper and add it to the trust stating that so-and-so is added or removed from the trust and sign it in front of a notary.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

They are the same thing. They are both a revocable living trust. If you already have a trust, it would function fine as an "NFA Trust." People generally keep them separate, just in case anything ever happens with your trust-owned weapons. This keeps the rest of your assets protected.

Some trusts that are drafted for NFA purposes have NFA-specific language in them as to how to transport the items, and how to pass them on to the beneficiary(ies). This language, while helpful is not necessary to have a legal trust for NFA purposes.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    I tried to set up something with an lawyer in Lebanon. I know more about NFA than he does.

I decided to contact Spurr. I called the number and set up a phone consultation and paid my $400. Lets see how it goes.

$400 for Indianashooter.com supporter and $500 else wise.

Will

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I tried to set up something with an lawyer in Lebanon. I know more about NFA than he does.

I decided to contact Spurr. I called the number and set up a phone consultation and paid my $400. Lets see how it goes.

$400 for Indianashooter.com supporter and $500 else wise.

Will

I know that someone else recommended a guy in Fort Wayne, can't find the post anymore. I think it was a post by 21st century...

I shoulda been a lawyer, that's high prices for something out of a can.

Top Bottom