Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    It is a commercial for a product that a company is wanting to sell. It is not a campaign add. Now it is the NFL's choice not to accept their money but I would love to have seen it on the TV.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    It is a commercial for a product that a company is wanting to sell. It is not a campaign add. Now it is the NFL's choice not to accept their money but I would love to have seen it on the TV.

and you are correct. I would say that over 99% of the people here on INGO will agree with you (including myself) that DD is only trying to sale a product in the add, however I would also say that well over then 1/2 of the 100 million people who will be watching the SB, will think it's a political add. Even more so the media will promote it as a 2A agenda gimmick due to the fact that the majority DD's sales are based on the AR-15 platform. Most people don't think that you need a AR-15 in the home for your protection.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the NFL should keep all political adds out of the Super Bowl. IMO the Super Bowl should (or any other sporting event) not be the place for anyone's political views to be aired. I know it had happened in the past, but I for one would like to see it come to a halt at sporting events. Their are many other time slots to air one's political views.

Super Bowl Commercials 2012: Political Ads Should Be Kept out of NFL Holiday | Bleacher Report

But not anywhere near the audience>>>>>

John Titor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    I saw nothing political there . No democrat , no republican , no libertarian ideals . The subject matter was family safety with an implication that the husband was a veteran .
    The commercial was for a consumer good .
    The good could have been an alarm system or auto restraint systems or child car seats , fire extinguishers but it was not .
    The consumer good was the most regulated consumer good in country . A gun .
    The politics involved is purely in the mind of the viewer , not in the message of the advertisement .
    If a Karate studio wanted air time would they have got it ?
    A private securely company ?
    Tasar ?
    We won't know .
    What we do know is that the NFL is anti gun and then by default anti constitution .
    The comercial slots are sold to make money .
    Yes the NFL has the right to choose who they sell it to .
    Good taste comes into play .. If a Nevada Brothel wanted air time they need to decide if they want to be associated with prostitution while receiving money for their time . ( a little irony there if you will )
    In urban areas guns are associated with evil and death .
    I would say the same ideal is for the black community and culture as a whole also .
    What are the demographics of urban and black viewers ? I don't know .
    I would assume substantial .
    A conclusion would be that the NFL does not want to be associated with evil and death . That in of itself is understandable .
    But to sub come to ignorant and uneducated views and ideals is not being a responsible advertiser or practicing good civics .
    As thinking people know . A gun is neither good or bad . It just exists .
    It was not pro death like Planned Parent Hood abortions.
    It was pro life . The protection of family .
    The comercial was in good taste . No argument can be made otherwise .
    It did not meet their ideals it's that simple . It was a political decision .
    The NFL is anti gun . The advertisers and the NFL should be shunned and admonished
    and the firearms community should tell them so .

Last edited:

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I saw nothing political there . No democrat , no republican , no libertarian ideals . The subject matter was family safety with an implication that the husband was a veteran .
    The commercial was for a consumer good .
    The good could have been an alarm system or auto restraint systems or child car seats , fire extinguishers but it was not .
    The consumer good was the most regulated consumer good in country . A gun .
    The politics involved is purely in the mind of the viewer , not in the message of the advertisement .
    If a Karate studio wanted air time would they have got it ?
    A private securely company ?
    Tasar ?
    We won't know .
    What we do know is that the NFL is anti gun and then by default anti constitution .
    The comercial slots are sold to make money .
    Yes the NFL has the right to choose who they sell it to .
    Good taste comes into play .. If a Nevada Brothel wanted air time they need to decide if they want to be associated with prostitution while receiving money for their time . ( a little irony there if you will )
    In urban areas guns are associated with evil and death .
    I would say the same ideal is for the black community and culture as a whole also .
    What are the demographics of urban and black viewers ? I don't know .
    I would assume substantial .
    A conclusion would be that the NFL does not want to be associated with evil and death . That in of itself is understandable .
    But to sub come to ignorant and uneducated views and ideals is not being a responsible advertiser or practicing good civics .
    As thinking people know . A gun is neither good or bad . It just exists .
    It was not pro death like Planned Parent Hood abortions.
    It was pro life . The protection of family .
    The comercial was in good taste . No argument can be made otherwise .
    It did not meet their ideals it's that simple . It was a political decision .
    The NFL is anti gun . The advertisers and the NFL should be shunned and admonished
    and the firearms community should tell them so .

All of this. I think we as gun owners should boycott at least 1 quarter of the game by not watching it. Or if the Colts are not playing in it, possibly not watching any of it. Thats the only way they will get the message by hitting them where it matters.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'd be on the "keep football political free" if they had done that all around.

[video=youtube;GvzAt9Yx7s8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvzAt9Yx7s8[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But it shows the silhouette of a scary black gun. That scares me even though Jamie Fox is wielding one in a movie isn't so scarey.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    If they would let that air, the talk on just about every TV & radio station the next day will not be, "did you see that add by that gun manufacture for home defense?" But it will be "Did you see that assault weapons manufactures add? What the hell were thy trying to sale us on?"

And yes.. I know the add is not political in both your and my eye's, but it will turn political the next day on all the talk shows.

Top Bottom