• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulOctane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    NWI
    Hi everyone, I've been working on my first AR build over the past few months and I am currently trying to decide on whether to go with a NiB coated bolt, or a hard chrome bolt. I currently have a ToolCraft bolt carrier that is chrome lined. From what I've been reading online, people tend to be leaning more towards the NiB parts, as seen in this AR15.com thread, as well as this other one.

The specific bolts I am trying to choose between are both from Brownells: the Smith Enterprises Bolt, and the WMD Guns NiB-X Bolt.

Thanks in advance!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a chromed Young Mfg BCG and it is suuuuuper easy to clean. Just a cloth damp with some CLP and the carbon comes right off. I have zero experience with NiB, but I imagine it'd be pretty similar. The choice would be determined by your cleaning agent the most though :)

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Ive considered one but from what ive read they are easier to clean and are a little smoother but both need lubed. Do they last longer? and is it worth the extra $50+ dollars? Some say its not worth the extra $

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had the WMD Nibo BCG on my AR. Not sure how much better it is on the AR, but as a coating I like it better than chrome. NiBo offers more lubricity and I think it is less prone to flaking, not that a chrome BCG would do that. Plus it looks cooler!

Watch for sales. I paid $192 total for mine when I bought it. I don't think it was much more than a standard BCG at the time.

PaulOctane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    NWI
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

For cleaning agent, I will most likely be using Hoppe's 9 and/or CLP, as I currently have both. FireClean looks pretty awesome though so I may invest in some of that eventually.

I was originally thinking of getting a chrome bolt since my carrier is chrome lined, but then I began to hear the issues of flaking. It seems that NiB and chrome plated bolts are both higher end, and that's one of the main reasons why I want to use one in my build. My other parts that I have so far include a BCM 16" M4 upper with a Troy Drop-In BattleRail, KAC rail covers, and a MagPul AFG2 attached. I've also got a ST-T2 buffer, ERGO spring, ATI castle nut, no-name back plate, and a UTG Mil-Spec buffer tube (which I want to replace since it's 6061 Al instead of 7075). Basically all I need to complete this gun is a bolt, stock (Bravo B5 SOPMOD chosen), and lower (going to do an 80% 7075 Forging that I will probably buy on Friday).

I just really want to get a high quality bolt, so the price I'm paying for NiB or chrome doesn't bother me much. Since both of the options I'm looking at are the same price, I think I will probably go with a WMD NiB bolt ;)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

For cleaning agent, I will most likely be using Hoppe's 9 and/or CLP, as I currently have both. FireClean looks pretty awesome though so I may invest in some of that eventually.

I was originally thinking of getting a chrome bolt since my carrier is chrome lined, but then I began to hear the issues of flaking. It seems that NiB and chrome plated bolts are both higher end, and that's one of the main reasons why I want to use one in my build. My other parts that I have so far include a BCM 16" M4 upper with a Troy Drop-In BattleRail, KAC rail covers, and a MagPul AFG2 attached. I've also got a ST-T2 buffer, ERGO spring, ATI castle nut, no-name back plate, and a UTG Mil-Spec buffer tube (which I want to replace since it's 6061 Al instead of 7075). Basically all I need to complete this gun is a bolt, stock (Bravo B5 SOPMOD chosen), and lower (going to do an 80% 7075 Forging that I will probably buy on Friday).

I just really want to get a high quality bolt, so the price I'm paying for NiB or chrome doesn't bother me much. Since both of the options I'm looking at are the same price, I think I will probably go with a WMD NiB bolt ;)

Add a thread or update us on this one how the machining goes. I have two on order, but lately I have been thinking I would just trade them for one 100% lower due to time constraints with my job that could make it tough to do the machine work.

Top Bottom