• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • et_aruba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    NWI
    Although not perfect, a nicely written article. I really don't like the article's tagline: After falling victim to a string of traumatic crimes, Amanda Fortini considers a controversial means of protection,but nevertheless well-written. It's a relatively long, but interesting and reads fast.

Should I Buy a Gun? - A Crime Victim Considers a Controversial Means of Protection - ELLE.com

Having moved from Arizona to Kalifornia and then to Chicago, I can appreciate the liberty afforded by free states. I thought Kalifornia was bad until my move to Chicago. I now live in NWI, because of Cook County gun laws.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Not too bad an article. Glad to see that she overcame her fear, and realized that it was kind of foolish. I do like that she still has respect for the firearm. So many people get a little too used to it, and then act surprised when an accident happens. Its a tool, and just like any other tool, you treat it with the respect it deserves. Thanks for posting.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I will be truly impressed when she matures enough to keep her revolver in a useful condition for its ostensible purpose (i.e., loaded).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I will be truly impressed when she matures enough to keep her revolver in a useful condition for its ostensible purpose (i.e., loaded).

You have to remember, she started from a place of "FEAR".
    Takes a little longer.
    Maybe, if she keeps going to the range it will help.
    Plus, did you see how her mother treated her?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Y'know all those antis who say "He'll just take it away and use it against you!"?

This woman is the poster child of that saying.

She has no will to use it, and I think it's good that she chose the LCR, though I think she should file off the front sight. That way it will hurt less when some criminal shoves it up her keester, though I'd prefer for her sake that she keep it ready for use and on her person and develop the mindset to stay alive, not become a statistic.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You have to remember, she started from a place of "FEAR".
    Takes a little longer.
    Maybe, if she keeps going to the range it will help.
    Plus, did you see how her mother treated her?

How her mother treated her is a minor factor, though I'm surprised the mother didn't have the babysitter changing her daughters' diapers into high school, too, along with just "sitting". There comes a time in our lives when we stop faulting our parents for the crap they did and take responsibility for ourselves.

Blessings,
    Bill

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Thinly veiled anti-gun article. Nothing more than re-enforcement for those that fear guns. Don't believe anything recounted is real. Tempt us with an anti-gun person being converted, then at the last second snatched back to the reality she still fears guns and would never use one to protect her own life.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Wow. Some of you guys have never had to over turn deeply held beliefs or overcome deeply ingrained fears. You should feel lucky for that, not fault the woman who is trying, and probably taking a lot of grief from her very liberal friends over it, to boot. Because, outside of INGO membership, I have to think that this articles is pretty pro-gun.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Wow. Some of you guys have never had to over turn deeply held beliefs or overcome deeply ingrained fears. You should feel lucky for that, not fault the woman who is trying, and probably taking a lot of grief from her very liberal friends over it, to boot. Because, outside of INGO membership, I have to think that this articles is pretty pro-gun.

I agree, fear is a hard thing to overcome, and anyone that says different has never had to overcome a real fear. At least she is making progress. I just hope that she overcomes it enough when the time comes and does not become the poster child for someone thinking that guns are magic and scare people away

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Totally agree with you there. It sounds like she's got enough taste to keep putting rounds through, maybe she'll progress to loaded gun. Although, I think she's also wrestling with the moral dilemma about what if she had the gun the night the drunk gentleman was trying to break down her door? In her mind, if she had shot him, she would be a murderer, since it turns out she didn't need to. In my mind, she was extraordinarily lucky, and should have shot said gentleman through the door and not thought twice about it.

That's a philosophical / moral / self-worth issue that is entirely aside from her learned fear of guns and anything "dangerous", and it will take time, too.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I can speak for no one but myself, but if you're speaking of me, you're mistaken.

I faced the "they'll take it away" mentality once. I gave a speech to a group of the public on the subject of gun laws and how many we have in this country. Afterward, I took questions, and one that was raised was about the "take it away" fallacy. I looked on the lectern and found a TV remote control and stepped around about 10 feet from the questioner, said, "OK, pretend this is a gun." I pointed the remote at her and said, "You gonna try to take it away from me?"

I left her with no reply other than, "oh."

I then stepped back behind and softened the blow of that "shutdown" a little (or tried to) by saying, "It's not about the gun. It's about the will of the person holding it. No one's going to try to take it away if they're convinced that they're about one wrong breath away from getting shot."

The woman in this article has decided that the LCR she bought is a magical shield, the mere fact that she spent money for it will keep her from harm. I don't in the slightest minimize the decision of shoot/don't shoot, I'm saying that she needs to realize that by itself, it's not going to do squat to protect her. She needs to take that responsibility on herself.

Hope that clarifies. I think she's done well to move past the part of the fear she has. She just has a little more to go.

Blessings,
    Bill

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I don't think it was at all anti-gun. I do think she needs a lot more training and experience.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The article is a really good glimpse into the mind of a big group of people in our society. She is so far away from being ready to defend herself and I think she knows it. A good feel for where she is is her quoting some anti-gun group for statistics that claim that having a gun in the house is very dangerous because there is a much greater chance of having an accidental shooting or suicide than using it to defend oneself from a criminal attack. At least she has taken a baby step. Maybe something will happen to kick her into reality.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    The article is a really good glimpse into the mind of a big group of people in our society. She is so far away from being ready to defend herself and I think she knows it. A good feel for where she is is her quoting some anti-gun group for statistics that claim that having a gun in the house is very dangerous because there is a much greater chance of having an accidental shooting or suicide than using it to defend oneself from a criminal attack. At least she has taken a baby step. Maybe something will happen to kick her into reality.

Very true, right now, she would be a statistic. She has taken a step in the right direction, and hopefully she will be taking more. So many people think of their guns as magic wands and think that they hold it up and the bad guy will just disappear. Granted, fear is hard to overcome, but lets just hope that she is able to overcome it soon, for her sake.

Top Bottom