• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    i have a question, weather the brass being nickel has any thing to do with it i dont know. i have a hand full of reloads that i have loaded pulled apart and reloaded over again. but every time i can push the bullet down with my hand, and yes i tried increasing the crip and it did nothing to help. it happens with almost no effort. so with that being said after a while of using brass can it lose its abbility to hold a bullet tight. i have approx 7 out of 100 rounds that do this.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    rifle? handgun?

perhaps you are short-stroking on the resizing die if you are working with rifle. collet die involved? if so, make sure you come down on it with some arm.

pistol / rifle - using a factory crimp die? ill be in kokomo this weekend iffn ya would like for someone to take a look.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    pistol. 9mm to be exact. my strokes are good. i am leaning toward the brass. it is the same cases over and over. no matter what i change. im probly just gunna scrap em

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I don't have anything useful to add. I will say I load nickel plated 9mm all the time mixed in with my brass and have never had this.
    I use Dillon dies fwiw.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Brass work hardens and over time will lose it's ability to properly grip the bullet on taper-crimped rounds. I deal with this when I do brass-life tests. You can scrap it or you can anneal it, and 9mm brass is not worth trying to anneal properly since it's about as common as sand.

You can't say how many loading this takes since brass quality is widely variable. And you have to be careful it doesn't lead to bullet setback as I found last year in my 10mm:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/175965-1911_guys_riddle_me_this_brass_issue.html

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    Brass work hardens and over time will lose it's ability to properly grip the bullet on taper-crimped rounds. I deal with this when I do brass-life tests. You can scrap it or you can anneal it, and 9mm brass is not worth trying to anneal properly since it's about as common as sand.

You can't say how many loading this takes since brass quality is widely variable. And you have to be careful it doesn't lead to bullet setback as I found last year in my 10mm:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...965-1911_guys_riddle_me_this_brass_issue.html

thanks, that is what i was figuring. just wanted to hear it from someone eles

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    i have a question, weather the brass being nickel has any thing to do with it i dont know. i have a hand full of reloads that i have loaded pulled apart and reloaded over again. but every time i can push the bullet down with my hand, and yes i tried increasing the crip and it did nothing to help. it happens with almost no effort. so with that being said after a while of using brass can it lose its abbility to hold a bullet tight. i have approx 7 out of 100 rounds that do this.

Anytime you pull a bullet from a case, the case must be FL resized to get the dimensions of the neck to where it should be.

Top Bottom