• pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    *** Standard disclaimer: NICS checks <> firearm sales. Yada, yada. ***

Some amazing numbers from the latest FBI NICS report:

July 2016 NICS checks numbers are in and are up 37% vs. 2015 (2.2 million vs. 1.6 million)
    Year to date NICS checks are up 32.8% vs. 2015 (16.0 million vs. 12.1 million)
    Ever month this year has been an all-time record for that month.
    Assuming we keep this pace, NICS checks will have risen 7 of 8 years of the Obama presidency and will be 2.4x the annual rate of when he took office.

AcyjRC0.jpg

FBI NICS check data

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What are the figures on the Barry administration and prosecution of straw purchasers or disallowed persons? Guessing as a percentage not that awe-inspiring compared to earlier administrations...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Must be that 95% of Americans that want tougher gun control. They're buying up all the guns to keep them off the streets...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    What are the figures on the Barry administration and prosecution of straw purchasers or disallowed persons? Guessing as a percentage not that awe-inspiring compared to earlier administrations...

Good questions and I don't know the answers. I poked around the FBI site since they compile and report on national crime statistics. I was able to find statistics on gun-use crimes and NICS checks, but none on the number of government follow-ups vs apparent gun-purchase crimes. Maybe you can find something.

CJIS/Criminal Justice Information Services
    NICS/National Instant Criminal Background System

The closest I was able to find was a report on total denials 1998-2016 and the reasons. No info at all about follow-up.
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/federal_denials.pdf/view

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Good questions and I don't know the answers. I poked around the FBI site since they compile and report on national crime statistics. I was able to find statistics on gun-use crimes and NICS checks, but none on the number of government follow-ups vs apparent gun-purchase crimes. Maybe you can find something.

CJIS/Criminal Justice Information Services
    NICS/National Instant Criminal Background System

The closest I was able to find was a report on total denials 1998-2016 and the reasons. No info at all about follow-up.
    https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/federal_denials.pdf/view

Disclaimer: I just contributed to the NICS numbers for August. :spend:

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bjs/grants/239272.pdf

It appears in 2010 over 6,037,000 checks were performed. 76,000 denials were referred by the FBI to ATF field offices, and of that number, 62 resulted in federal prosecution.

The report then did a statistical breakdown on the 62 cases, which seems not worth the candle, when your prosecution rate on denials is less than 0.1 %. (It does appear that most US Attorneys don't give a damn about investigating/prosecuting these. While the POTUS continues to snivel about needing more laws...)

Gah...

Last edited:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    More gun purchases? A logical reaction to the Trump implosion. Wait until the election is over, they'll really pop when we have a President-elect Hillary.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Must be that 95% of Americans that want tougher gun control. They're buying up all the guns to keep them off the streets...

Gun ownership is down according to media polls. It's just the same bitter clingers buying more and more guns while the number of households with firearms is actually declining.

or people don't want to tell anyone they own guns. Or the media is just making crap up again

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

It appears in 2010 over 6,037,000 checks were performed. 76,000 denials were referred by the FBI to ATF field offices, and of that number, 62 resulted in federal prosecution.

The report then did a statistical breakdown on the 62 cases, which seems not worth the candle, when your prosecution rate on denials is less than 0.1 %. (It does appear that most US Attorneys don't give a damn about investigating/prosecuting these. While the POTUS continues to snivel about needing more laws...)

Gah...
    Obama and the dems "fix" for anything...Throw more laws at it. :rolleyes:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Gah...

Obama and the dems "fix" for anything...Throw more laws at it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the last thing they want to have happen is the existing laws be effective at "getting guns out of the hands of people that shouldn't have them". The issue is worth considerably more than any solution would be.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Gah...

Good find. I did some additional searches around NCJRS and the ATF and didn't find any similar reports for other years. Looks like it was a one-time grant that resulted in that report. Monitoring businesses and people are a priority, but reporting on government activity, not so much.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah, the last thing they want to have happen is the existing laws be effective at "getting guns out of the hands of people that shouldn't have them". The issue is worth considerably more than any solution would be.
    Exactly. They'll take any opportunity they can to gin up as much control as they are allowed to get away with through legislation. Especially if the true subject of the control happens to involve anyone or anything that is related to the pro-gun culture. "We need to rein in the gun culture"- HRC.

They've proven that it's not just about reducing unlawful use of firearms as evidenced by their lack of enforcing/prosecuting more than adequate existing laws.

That's why they always try their damndest to demonize the NRA as well. They NRA represents a major obstacle in pursuing their legislative control.

An attack on the NRA is an attack on all lawful freedom loving proponents of the 2nd Amend. "Freedom's Safest Place"

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Gun ownership is down according to media polls. It's just the same bitter clingers buying more and more guns while the number of households with firearms is actually declining.

or people don't want to tell anyone they own guns. Or the media is just making crap up again

I used to be a gun owner, but ever since that fateful night when our boat hit the iceberg, I haven't had the heart to replace them. Or was it the big, smoking mountain that spew hot red liquid all over my city and burnt everything? Now that I think about it, it was definately the day strange visitors from outer space flew over my house and blew it up as I was hiding in a bunker in NV.

Top Bottom