• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’ve done several transfers in the last week, have not had any issues with NICS. Every one I’ve done I’ve been saying to myself “ok, here we go, let the waiting begin”, but I click submit, and instantly get the proceed. :dunno:

we don’t do a high volume of transfers, so I’m sure we would eventually run into issues, but every time I’ve heard of problems with the online check, I do a transfer within an hour or so, and have had zero problem. I have actually had no delays in the ones I have done recently, which is unusual.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My lgs called said my CZ P10f came in told me to come get it. I filled out the paper work, and she called in gave the information and I was approved in under 4 minutes. I timed it lol. Get your guns now seems to be no problem.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Got delayed today at my LGS. I have never had an issue with a NICS check and nothing with me has changed so guess I'll be waiting 3 days, but it's frustrating their stupid system is preventing me from my annual bonus gift to myself!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Got delayed today at my LGS. I have never had an issue with a NICS check and nothing with me has changed so guess I'll be waiting 3 days, but it's frustrating their stupid system is preventing me from my annual bonus gift to myself!

I'm going in tomorrow so we will see.
    But why 3 days wait? Is this some kind of standard?

I was only kicked one time back in 2013 or so and I went back in later that day and it ran right through.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I'm going in tomorrow so we will see.
    But why 3 days wait? Is this some kind of standard?

I was only kicked one time back in 2013 or so and I went back in later that day and it ran right through.

When you get delayed, they have 3 days to either call back with an approval or a denial. If they don't call back within that time frame, the dealer may go ahead and complete the sale. That is at the discretion of the dealer though. Most big box stores won't proceed without an explicit approval.

I know the head of the NRA in Evansville and he got a delay once several years ago. They always went right through before and after that, so hard to say why it happens. Some people with common names always get delayed, but that's a different issue really.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh..
    Got it. Them saying "Denied" you wait 3 days. I'm pretty sure my problem was the system down or the connection is why he had me come back later that day.

It sure would suck to be John Smith and not have that special ID number. :(

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I was delayed last week. First time I've had to wait. Not a big deal, but I didn't care for it. Made me reflect on how things could be and made me grateful that I don't live in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I just picked up a suppressor.
    My NICS check was "delayed" and I was supposed to wait for 3 extra days before I could pick it up, but, it ended up coming back in 2 days, approved.
    So, busy, yes, "out of commission", no.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My NICS check was "delayed" and I was supposed to wait for 3 extra days before I could pick it up, but, it ended up coming back in 2 days, approved.

They shouldn't run nics for your can

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well, I have 7 cans and with each one, a NICS check was done by the local dealer before transfer.
    Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Back in the day trusts had to be called in but that changed when they started doing responsible person questionnaires after 41F was put in place. If filling as an individual they never had to be called in since the background check was already done

Internally suppressed like a Maxim 9, DD ISR, etc need called in cause the title 1 firearm even though it’s attached to a title 2 you already did a background check on

Anyway they don’t need to call them in, it’s why there’s a box that says no nics required because NFA. But if you’re cool with it it’s no big deal. It’s just not required

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Well, I have 7 cans and with each one, a NICS check was done by the local dealer before transfer.
    Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

It's a problem by the rules. You fill out a 4473, but it is not called in to nics. Nics is not a system for feel good checks and specifically not for nfa use.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

They shouldn't run nics for your can

Back in the day trusts had to be called in but that changed when they started doing responsible person questionnaires after 41F was put in place. If filling as an individual they never had to be called in since the background check was already done

Internally suppressed like a Maxim 9, DD ISR, etc need called in cause the title 1 firearm even though it’s attached to a title 2 you already did a background check on

Anyway they don’t need to call them in, it’s why there’s a box that says no nics required because NFA. But if you’re cool with it it’s no big deal. It’s just not required

It's a problem by the rules. You fill out a 4473, but it is not called in to nics. Nics is not a system for feel good checks and specifically not for nfa use.

I bet he went to copper customs to get his cans, they have their "shop rule" that class 3 forms have to be called in even though it states on the 4473 that

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]No NICS check was required because a background check was completed during the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the NFA firearm(s), as reflected on the approved NFA application"

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]they say their logic is that someone could have become a fellon between the time they mail the stamp and when you pick it up lol[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT]

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I bet he went to copper customs to get his cans, they have their "shop rule" that class 3 forms have to be called in even though it states on the 4473 that

"[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]No NICS check was required because a background check was completed during the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the NFA firearm(s), as reflected on the approved NFA application"

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]they say their logic is that someone could have become a fellon between the time they mail the stamp and when you pick it up lol[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif][/FONT]

That's the dumbest class 3 shop rule I've ever heard.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Picked up a Glock-43 at USDS in Greenwood yesterday around 1:30, out by 2:00, no issue, 15 min wait for the NCIS approval of my 4473.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom