• ...and so much more!
  • gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Hi guys-

Did anyone else have problems with the NICS system today? The FFL I use for transfers couldn't get through at all today. He says there has been some kind of shakeup recently and all of the agents handling calls seem to be new to the process and completely unfamiliar with it, resulting in much longer checks when he can get through. Then today he couldn't get through at all.

Anyone else know of any problems with NICS recently?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I was in a local shop and the computer check took 20-25 minutes. They tried to call and the estimated wait yime was 55 minutes.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I was in a local shop and the computer check took 20-25 minutes. They tried to call and the estimated wait yime was 55 minutes.

If they got through at all, they did better than my guy. I had two guns I bought on Gunbroker and another I bought from Sarco at the shop and he couldn't get through. In fact, he had a line tied up waiting to do a check for a guy who came in earlier than I did. That guy drove all the way from Wheatfield to Highland and couldn't get his gun either.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    The problem lied in the "further review" portion. If your check didn't require further review, it came back pretty quickly. The further review portion was taking upwards of an hour for us today.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    The FBI has implemented a new web interface and computer system for submission of 4473 which I can honestly say is a headache so I am sympathetic to the people doing the actual background checks. Expect delays until all the bugs get ironed out and everyone gets use to the new software and systems.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I saw a fairly long wait time the other day at my LGS, he said the new FBI system had glitches and that he could call the old fashioned way. Alas that method was swamped because of the issues of course. Bah

Flyingbrian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    Must be recent. I was in two different LGS a week ago they both submitted VIA computer and both went through right away. Couple minutes at most. Took longer to print off the paperwork than the check

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    New online system seems to be a little faster but it takes a little getting used to. Store I was in was having a compliance check and the agents knew nothing about the new system being implemented. As always one hand has no idea what the other is doing. I was told that within a year or so there would not be call ins, everything would be online. Just a heads up for those of you still calling. You might want to check that rumor out.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I picked up a transfer at my LGS on Aug. 10th, in which they said "we will see if it goes through". They indicated the ATF implemented a new system and they were getting a lot returned as delayed. Mine was approved, but it didn't sound like they were having a good day with the new system.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yesterday took 20 minutes for me with ALL fields other than UPIN filled out. Two other guys got delayed and seemed really surprised. I know one of them buys on a regular basis and has had no issues.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    They rolled out an entirely new interface for us FFL's tuesday...The long and short of it is that it went from simple and intuitive to a massive PITA. I imagine they are having a few issues here and there with it as well which seems to be causing very long wait times for some.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    They rolled out an entirely new interface for us FFL's tuesday...The long and short of it is that it went from simple and intuitive to a massive PITA. I imagine they are having a few issues here and there with it as well which seems to be causing very long wait times for some.

This is so true. The new system requires several more actions to be done on the FFL's end than the old system. Also, the software system we use has had issues working with the NICS systems. Hopefully these bugs will be ironed out in a week or so. This has nearly doubled the process time for sales for us.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And this surprises who?

The FBI does not prosecute traitorous acts while persecuting citizens.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The feds only allow States that have short term licenses with recurrent background checks to do that. Our lifetime LTCH means we might have prohibited persons slip through the cracks.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Hi guys-

Did anyone else have problems with the NICS system today? The FFL I use for transfers couldn't get through at all today. He says there has been some kind of shakeup recently and all of the agents handling calls seem to be new to the process and completely unfamiliar with it, resulting in much longer checks when he can get through. Then today he couldn't get through at all.

Anyone else know of any problems with NICS recently?

Jerry's in Rensselaer was having trouble the other day.....

Top Bottom