• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TacticalWeapon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    I have two neighbors who have adopted from Nigeria. They argue that rather than having your own children, it is important to adopt children in need.

One of the unintended consequence is that now "Baby Farms" have sprung up to cater to these caring souls, where women are treated like farm animals and children are purchased for $190. It seems the world has an interesting way of working and filling every need/void. Now an even greater evil has been caused and as long as there are rich Americans and Europeans willing to pay, baby farms will stay.

As they say "...paved with good intentions."

Nigerian police have raided an alleged "baby farm" where teenage mothers were forced to give up their newborns for sale to human traffickers.

Thirty-two pregnant girls were rescued from a maternity home run by a trafficking ring in the southern city of Aba, police said.

The girls, mostly of school age, were allegedly locked up at the Cross Foundation clinic so they could produce babies to be sold for illegal adoption or for use in ritual witchcraft.

Nigerian 'baby farm' raided - Link

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Wow. Good post. Me and my fiance were actually thinking about adoption, so I will definitely be doing my research before handing over cash.

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    I do not understand why said Americans and Europeans adopt from other countries. We have plenty of children IN OUR COUNTRY that need to be adopted.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    trad78

the short answer is time and expense. It actually cost more and takes longer to adopt an American born baby then it does an international baby. Also I have seen a few cases were the original birth parent/parents want the child back after the adoption was already final and the birth parents got the child back and the adopted parents were left with nothing.

I have not personally confirmed the time and expense only second hand from those that have adopted both locally and internationally. But I can confirm the birth parent taking the child back, not sure how common it is though.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's not difficult or expensive to adopt in America, UNLESS you insist on an infant and have baby fever so you gotta have it NOW.

Drako

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Lawrence
    depending on circumstances....

My family has 8 kids (i, being one of them). All 8 adopted. All 8 Americans.
    We've been picked, thought we were getting a baby. Going through the pregnancy. Seeing ultrasounds. Then...mom has the baby, changes her mind. It SUCKS.

My adoption alone took 8 mos and there was no one to contest it. No one there to fight for parental rights. All it was was paperwork.

I have one sibling that we have had for 2.5 years. We got him as a new born. His parental rights are still not terminated with his bio parents. We're hoping that happens before he is 3.

US adoptions can go just as fast or slow as international. It just depends on circumstances. The birth parents, the agency, the lawyers, the courts. Fast or slow.

I'd like to add that Indiana has some great adoption laws. It's really hard to get a child back once it's adopted. :-)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have two neighbors who have adopted from Nigeria. They argue that rather than having your own children, it is important to adopt children in need.

One of the unintended consequence is that now "Baby Farms" have sprung up to cater to these caring souls, where women are treated like farm animals and children are purchased for $190. It seems the world has an interesting way of working and filling every need/void. Now an even greater evil has been caused and as long as there are rich Americans and Europeans willing to pay, baby farms will stay.

As they say "...paved with good intentions."

Or in Latin: "Via dolorum bonis propositis strata est".

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    It may sound bad of me to say, but I would rather adopt from within the USA rather than children from foreign countries. Let's worry about the children here first.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I do not understand why said Americans and Europeans adopt from other countries. We have plenty of children IN OUR COUNTRY that need to be adopted.

I agree with this. If everyone in the US keeps turning to the "easier" option for adoption, the rocky road will just keep getting rockier.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree with this. If everyone in the US keeps turning to the "easier" option for adoption, the rocky road will just keep getting rockier.
    If voters and politicians would get off their collective asses and address the problem, adopting in the USA would BE the easier option.

When folks find it less of a hassle to deal with the ****ing COMMUNIST CHINESE instead of American bureaucracy, we've got a huge problem in this country.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If voters and politicians would get off their collective asses and address the problem, adopting in the USA would BE the easier option.

When folks find it less of a hassle to deal with the ****ing COMMUNIST CHINESE instead of American bureaucracy, we've got a huge problem in this country.

We have a lot of huge problems in this country. Unfortunately this one is down towards the bottom of the list so I doubt it will be addressed any time soon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It may sound bad of me to say, but I would rather adopt from within the USA rather than children from foreign countries. Let's worry about the children here first.

Yep, the odds of an African/Asian child robbing you at gun point or tying up you wife (if not adopted), is fairly unlikely compared to the possibility of an orphan from say 38th/Meridian.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    True but you are going to be hard pressed to get someone to say this is more important than say unemployment for example.
    True. We are a nation of paranoids and hysterics flailing around for non-solutions to misidentified problems.

Top Bottom