• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Got my first Glock/handgun at the 1500 and it didn't come with night sights.

There are a lot of choices out there, and I'm wondering what folks recommend?

After a little research I'm leaning towards *edit* meprolight. Mainly because they're the first ones I've found, and they actually have information about the sites on the site... lifespan 12 years and adjustable.

Thanks!

*edit*
    Little more research, found Meprolight. Look like trijicon but adjustable.

Last edited:

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Actually, found some adjustable ones. Meprolight? Adjustable worth the extra 40$? I'd think so, but never had any... so that's why I'm asking :-)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I like the glock brand ones the edges seem to be a bit more crisp... that said i like the trijicons as well.... i dont see the need for adjusable sights on a glock though so the extra 40 probably isnt worth it.... its a combat/defense pistol, not a match grade target pistol.... chances are you and i both are not good enough to shoot the gun to the level of accuracy needed to justify adjustable sights.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Go with Meprolight, but get the fixed ones.

Glock brand (Mepro inserts in Glock-mfr'ed housings) are OK if they come on the gun from the factory, but I would not advise having them installed after the fact. At the factory, they use a press of some sort to crimp the front sight in place; the dinky little tool they sell for armorers to do the same thing doesn't do nearly as good a job, and there have been many reports of sights loosening and/or falling off. The Mepro front sight attaches with a hex screw and is more secure (and can also be undone without destroying the sight if you need to remove it for some reason).

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    for the 3-dot I like the TFO

I have Henie Straight 8 Tritium's on my Carry G19 though. I like the dot on dot sight picture.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I got the meprolights in the dual color (yellow in back, green in front) installed by the Glock Doc at the 1500. He used a press to get the sights into the dovetail, not a hammer, which can damage the sights. I got the mepro's because they had a white outline on the insert that, to me, made them easier to line up in the daylight. Glock Doc also installed them for free and gave me a great lesson on Glock cleaning/care in the process.

I forgot to add that they were $100 (can probably get them cheaper on the internet, but they were installed)

Last edited:

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I got the meprolights in the dual color (yellow in back, green in front) installed by the Glock Doc at the 1500. He used a press to get the sights into the dovetail, not a hammer, which can damage the sights. ...

Let me make sure I understand you right, a press is good and won't damage the sights right?

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Let me make sure I understand you right, a press is good and won't damage the sights right?

This is the Glock rear sight tool (Glock Rear Sight Mounting Tool All Models - MidwayUSA). It's definitely the way to go if you know someone who has one, but paying $159 for the tool is a little salty unless you do a lot of this sort of work.

I installed mine with a simple mallet and nylon block (hit the block, which was pressed tight against the rear sight) and it worked just fine. I'm in no way saying that the sight press isn't a better option...just that I went for the 'free' tool that I already had instead.

I also went with the amber rear and green front sight.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I am not a gunsmith, so I was happy to let him install them. He also made sure that they were aligned with some special tools that he had (other than the press) and was able to fine tune them with the press instead of tapping on them. Install took about 5 min. Glock education 10min.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This is the Glock rear sight tool (Glock Rear Sight Mounting Tool All Models - MidwayUSA). It's definitely the way to go if you know someone who has one, but paying $159 for the tool is a little salty unless you do a lot of this sort of work.

Here's the one I use:
    BROWNELLS : MGW : SEMI-AUTO SIGHT MOVER

I like it better than the Glock pusher, and as a bonus it will also do both sizes of Glock slide (9/40/357 and 45/10), which the older Glock pushers would not.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I have mepros on my G30. There is a guy that usually has a table selling/installing them at the 1500. I think I paid $80 installed.
    Great quality.

Top Bottom