• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    My carry gun is my night stand gun. I see no advantages and only disadvantages to having two separate types of guns to try to manipulate. Having the controls in a different spot or a different weight trigger is asking for trouble in the middle of the night when you have crusties in your eyes. My opinion of course.

Agreed. My edc goes on my nightstand when i take it off anyway. I dont see a good reason to keep 2 different guns so close to the bed. My husband keeps his carry gun put away at night, so when we hear suspicious noises hes trained himself to grab the one under the bed which is 3 times as big with 3 times the amo. If he had his carry gun closer he may grab that in his sleepyness instead, so im glad he puts it away

dirtdigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    EDC is 9mm Shield. It goes in a drawer downstairs, with spare mag, knife, flashlight and all the other stuff that goes with me when I leave the house.
    Full size M&P 9 is on the night stand along with flashlight and spare mag.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My edc is a S&W 3939 9mm. My "nightstand" gun is a XDm 5.25 9mm. Mossberg 500 w/ a light is close by too.

Possible suggestion. Keep your nightstand gun in your nightstand (duh). Move your edc somewhere else in your house where you can easily access it. Bathroom, kitchen etc. A gun in the nightstand my not help if you are in the kitchen at 2:00 AM eating bacon and need a gun quick.

I would suggest a quick access safe to keep it in also if there are kids/others around.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I agree that any gun you might use for self defense should be one you are very familiar with. But not every gun is as versatile as we would like it to be. I want a light/laser combo on my HD gun but have no use for that on my carry gun. I want maximum capacity on my HD gun but sometimes there are size limitations for what and how I want to carry. So I have spent a good deal of time and money to make the trigger pulls on all of my guns as identical as possible. I carry either a CZ 75B, 75 Compact or RAMI. My HD gun is a CZ SP01 Phantom. They all have the same 85 combat trigger, same sights, same MOA, same ergonomics and all of their triggers are within an ounce or two. So, to me, they ARE the same gun. So I can pick what size I need on a particular day or feel very comfortable at home with a light/laser combo and max capacity. They are all the same. Mission accomplished. People accomplish the same thing by using various models of Glocks or M&Ps. As for where they go when I am home? The HD gun is out, one other gun may be "stashed" where I think is appropriate and the others are in the safe.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I believe that you should carry what you train with and train with what you carry... i.e. if you have to defend yourself, your best bet is the weapon you're most proficient with. My nightstand gun and carry gun are basically the same... even though there are two of them, my FS M&P9 that I carry, and my M&P9 Pro that I compete with and is home with the wife when even when I am not.

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    sig 229 .357 carry and night stand gun, the only difference is I switch the mag for higher capacity and magsafe ammo for home defense.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I have a few carry guns that I rotate from time to time, and whatever I am carrying is usually the night stand gun. However, if something ever does go bump in the night on the ole homestead, the Remington 870 will be coming with me to investigate under most circumstances.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    my EDC for work is Sig 226. otherwise I carry my Sig 228 which is also my night stand gun.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My edc is a 9mm shield. It stays on me until I'm ready for bed and then goes in the night stand with an extra couple of mags.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My EDC is a rotational thing. Some days I carry heavy, and have a 1911 or Hi-Power with me, some days I go J-frame or LCP. Then again, sometimes I just get a wild hair, and carry 2-3 on me, so my EDC may be a good option for HD, or not the best. One thing that I know will work is my 12 gauge, and it is a constant at my bedside, as is my wifes. We both tend to keep our carry pistol(s) of the day close at hand, but if something wakes either of us from our sleep, the shotgun tends to be more positive at putting large living creatures down fast, so that is #1 go to for a nightstand gun.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My EDC gun is a Browning HiPower. It goes on the nightstand when I go to bed, so I guess that's my nightstand gun, too.

But next to the nightstand is an AK-47.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My nightstand gun is at one end of the house, and my carry gun is at the other. We have a 2200 sq ft ranch, so having all of the guns at one end of the house is not convenient. I have a S&W 686 4" loaded with .357 hollowpoints in my nightstand along with a fixed beam/strobe LED flashlight. My carry gun is an LCR with .38+P Hornady Critical Defense. I keep it at the opposite end of the house in the office/family room, where we spend most of our time, so that a gun is more easily accessible wherever we are.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Currently my EDC is a Kimber Officer sized. At night it is laid on the floor next to the bed. In my night stand currently is a Colt Govt Model. So same but different.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Judge on night stand with a 000 round as first shot, then followed by 4 silver tip Colt rounds. It sits right beside me, no safety and in my bedroom would be very close distances. I still have an 18 yr old and a 12 year old in my small ranch and dont want to blow through to their bedroom half asleep. The first shot should wake me up and get me focused for follow ups if needed, as well as possibly grab my loaded 9 and/or my loaded 1911 afterwards from a quick acces safe. Judge has fiber optic front sight which I see well anywhere in my home due fo security lighting and a few night lights.

EDC has been my PT709 for the last 4 years.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A MAC 10 make excellent night stand gun. Takes out everything in the room rather quickly and you don't need a flash light.:)

Top Bottom