• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was shooting my .308 Saturday at 1,000 yards and had to dial in 9 MOA left windage due to 10-15 mph winds. I'm using a NightForce 8-32 NSX. I found that the windage knob goes up from 1 MOA to 5 MOAs but then the numbers start to go back down on the knob as you increase in windage. That means to dial in 6 MOA left windage, your windage knob now reads 4 MOA. 7 MOA has to be set to 3 MOA and so on back to 0 MOA for 10 MOA left. There are no reference lines on the turret below the knob, so it would be very easy to loose track of your actual setting and where to go to return to zero.

I tried to get some information on this but haven't been able to find anything on the NightForce web site. Does anyone know why the knobs are set up this way. This was the first time I had to go beyond 5 MOA left or right so I just encountered this unusual feature. :dunno::dunno:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Your windage tube does not have the grad marks? The NF website shows them. You might do well to call them on that, depending of course on how old that scope is.

There is an article on snipercentral, where the author explains that 5 MOA of windage is about all you'd need out to 600 yds. Reading between the lines, it seems like this was intended to see its most use out to 600. If anyone was going beyond, keeping tack of windage adjustments beyond that range should be a given (read: if you're talented enough to shoot at 1k, you can also keep track of your clicks ;) )

There is, however, a 1 MOA/click option on those scopes. That would get you 40 MOA/revolution. That doesn't do you a lot of good, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Reading between the lines, it seems like this was intended to see its most use out to 600. If anyone was going beyond, keeping tack of windage adjustments beyond that range should be a given (read: if you're talented enough to shoot at 1k, you can also keep track of your clicks ;) )

I started at 9 MOA Saturday morning and as the wind increased, I ended up shooting 12 MOA left at 1,000 yards. I can live with the situation but it is confusing. That much windage is not a normal situation and 5 MOA is probably enough 90% of the time. Thanks for the reply.

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    They are marked that way to make keeping track of both left and right windage easier. Your elevation turret only goes up from your zero (or most always). Today you migh need 3 MOA left, so you'd be staring at a 3 on your turret. Tomorrow you might need 3 MOA right, but you'd again be staring at a 3. If the markings were like the elevation turret you'd be looking at a 7.

Going to 5 is just splitting that MOA per turn. If you had 6 per turn it'd roll over at 6.

Way around it is to get away from 308 when it comes time for a rebarrel. 12 minutes is a lot to have to dial at 1000 yards.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    +1 for this
    They are marked that way to make keeping track of both left and right windage easier. Your elevation turret only goes up from your zero (or most always). Today you migh need 3 MOA left, so you'd be staring at a 3 on your turret. Tomorrow you might need 3 MOA right, but you'd again be staring at a 3. If the markings were like the elevation turret you'd be looking at a 7.

Going to 5 is just splitting that MOA per turn. If you had 6 per turn it'd roll over at 6.
    Not sure I agree with this though.

Way around it is to get away from 308 when it comes time for a rebarrel. 12 minutes is a lot to have to dial at 1000 yards.

I love the .308. Sure there are calibers which buck the wind much better but where's the fun in that? :D

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I love the .308. Sure there are calibers which buck the wind much better but where's the fun in that? :D

Exactly :):

My big toy is an Armalite AR30 in .338 Lapua. I've never had to dial in more than 3.5 MOA regardless of the wind conditions. I built the .308 to shoot from 300 yards out to 1,000 yards. I got to the point where I wouldn't shoot the .338 at less than 1,000

AR30.JPG

Top Bottom