• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I don't have a drawer on my nightstand - but I keep a 1911 on my bedside table. I keep it in the clam shell case for the time being with the latches open so I can grab it relatively quickly if need be. This isn't fast enough for me.

Short of just laying the gun on the nightstand, what is the best option in your opinion? I'm looking at these: ZAP-291 - Diversion Books Hidden Storage Compartments For Pistols Set Of Two Books Anyone have experience with this? Or recommendations for something similar that works well? This is somewhat gimmicky, I know, but it seems like it'll fill my need.

I'd like to still keep it a little concealed, hence the need for the fake book and not just laying it on the nightstand.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I made one of the magnets for behind mine.

Used a flat aluminum piece for the base, a few strong magnets and some heat shrink for the outside. Works great and looks ok. I keep getting better each one I make. I'll post some pictures if I can.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    There was a product almost identical to that at the muncie big lots store the other day. I think it was $10 or $15 or so. Might be worth a look at the one closest to you, or even a Hobby Lobby. I keep my 1911 in a shoulder rig hanging on my bedpost (pointed towards the wall) and put it on or up if I am not in my bed. Concealment is not going to keep it safe from unauthorized hands or thieves, so If that is the reason for concealment, I would think about alternative storage methods.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    There was a product almost identical to that at the muncie big lots store the other day. I think it was $10 or $15 or so. Might be worth a look at the one closest to you, or even a Hobby Lobby. I keep my 1911 in a shoulder rig hanging on my bedpost (pointed towards the wall) and put it on or up if I am not in my bed. Concealment is not going to keep it safe from unauthorized hands or thieves, so If that is the reason for concealment, I would think about alternative storage methods.

Concealment is simply protection from wandering eyes...like landlords walking through or maintenance people. I'm not prohibited from having it but as gun owners we know the less reasons we give people to question the presence of a firearm, the better.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Are kids in the house? If not I see no reason not to leave it on the night stand. I would prefer something where you had to make more of a consious movement to get to it...perhaps in a drawer. Just so a dream or something doesn't find you half asleep with a firearm in your hand.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I made one of the magnets for behind mine.

Used a flat aluminum piece for the base, a few strong magnets and some heat shrink for the outside. Works great and looks ok. I keep getting better each one I make. I'll post some pictures if I can.

I did the same thing but used a paint stick instead of the aluminum. In true style I also "painted" the stick with a sharpie. It cost me $5 and works great.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't have kids... so I just leave the USP on by bedside table, and my 1911 on my bedside dresser. Girlfriend has her Taurus in her nightstand drawer.

We're well equipped, and have no worries of kids getting near them.

So far, for three years, apartment landlord and maintenance guy hasn't brought it up, and don't seem to care when I OC around.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Not sure about a discount, but I picked up several of them at the Indy1500 a while ago.
    They work great...want to buy more so I can have multiple stash points.

I am that guy.... I actually planned it out, so that I am never really farther than 3 feet or so from one anywhere in my apartment...

Sidenote: I don't exactly trust a lot of my neighbors and am saving to move.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    If it is nighttime concealment, why worry. If some one came in at night, should they be there, no. My only concern about placing a weapon on the night stand is most people don't suddenly pop to life and are 100% awake. Too many cobwebs. There was a similar thread about this several months ago. One stated that he did. I am sorry most don't have that Jedi power. You need to place you weapon in sich a place that you have to physically do an act that will make you think that about what you are doing in order to wake youself up. Weather it is reaching into a night stand (like the original post) or to tak a step to retrive the weapon three feey away.

Last edited:

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You need to place you weapon in sich a place that you have to physically do an act that will make you think that about what you are doing in order to wake youself up. Weather it is reaching into a night stand (like the original post) or to tak a step to retrive the weapon three feey away.

I agree with you for myself.
    I have my alarm clock positioned so that I have
    to get out of bed, stand up and walk four steps
    to turn it off, or hit the snooze. By the time I get
    to it, I am usually awake enough to make a conscious
    decision. Like "stay up dummy", you have to go to work
    or Church.Having a hand gun within my reach while I am sleeping,
    would be a unconscionable risk for me to subject my wife. My
    gun is several steps away from where we sleep. I know I
    am making the gun less available in a desperate situation.
    I have not walked in my sleep for fifty years.

I remember sleeping with an M14 in basic training.

Thanks

Mark

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    If I want it concealed it's on my body, if I'm awake it's on my body, if I'm asleep it's in a retention holster in the drawer (or some days on my pants all loaded (light spare ammo wallet cell and keys in their usual place) and ready to go investigate a bump in the night or GTFO in a fire), if I'm asleep and we've got children around (none of our own, but family and friends do come to visit) there's a small safe under the bed, and a cable lock in my nightstand drawer. Spare holsters go in the closet with the rest of the clothes.

If kids are a factor in this, please lock it not just conceal it; I really DO NOT like hearing the child ND shooting stories on the news like I have been for the past month.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I agree with you for myself.
    I have my alarm clock positioned so that I have
    to get out of bed, stand up and walk four steps
    to turn it off, or hit the snooze. By the time I get
    to it, I am usually awake enough to make a conscious
    decision. Like "stay up dummy", you have to go to work
    or Church.Having a hand gun within my reach while I am sleeping,
    would be a unconscionable risk for me to subject my wife. My
    gun is several steps away from where we sleep. I know I
    am making the gun less available in a desperate situation.
    I have not walked in my sleep for fifty years.

I remember sleeping with an M14 in basic training.

Thanks

Mark
    That's the exact point. Stay safe.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    If I want it concealed it's on my body, if I'm awake it's on my body, if I'm asleep it's in a retention holster, if I'm asleep and we've got children around (none of our own, but family and friends do come to visit) there's a small safe under the bed, and a cable lock in my nightstand drawer. Spare holsters go in the closet with the rest of the clothes.

If kids are a factor in this, please lock it not just conceal it; I really DO NOT like hearing the child ND shooting stories on the news like I have been for the past month.

You are right, I don't llike hearing about them either.

Top Bottom