• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I just got a Savage 10 FCP H&S Precision and put a Nikon M-308 on it. Got it mounted with the supplied Nikon mount and it seems high. Got it zeroed today and everything seems fine. Anyone else running the Nikon M-308 with factory mount on a bolt action? Thoughts?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just got a Savage 10 FCP H&S Precision and put a Nikon M-308 on it. Got it mounted with the supplied Nikon mount and it seems high. Got it zeroed today and everything seems fine. Anyone else running the Nikon M-308 with factory mount on a bolt action? Thoughts?

What mount did it come with? Most I have seen come with Cantilever mounts that are designed for ar's not for Bolt action's. If you run a cantilever on a AR it will make for a difficult cheek weld, and to a lesser extent it will make the plain of the crosshairs cross the path of the bullet at a drastic angle making your drop chart less forgiving.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    It came with a 20 moa cantilever mount. As a result of that I bought a 0moa picatinny rail for the rifle, now I'm thinking I need to get the 20moa rail and low hight rings. Just hate to spend the money if I don't have to.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It came with a 20 moa cantilever mount. As a result of that I bought a 0moa picatinny rail for the rifle, now I'm thinking I need to get the 20moa rail and low hight rings. Just hate to spend the money if I don't have to.

That scope only has 40 moa internal travel, so if you put it on a 20 moa mount be prepared to not be able to zero closer than 300 yds. That scope is not really designed for long range shooting. They market it as a "long range scope" but 40 moa is pretty limiting. I would mount it on a 0 moa base with low rings. That should get it out to 500-600 yds.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I got it because of the BDC (because I suck at math) and don't plan on playing with the turrets much. I'm hoping with a zero at 300 and the BDC it will be ok. I guess I'll find out.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I got it because of the BDC (because I suck at math) and don't plan on playing with the turrets much. I'm hoping with a zero at 300 and the BDC it will be ok. I guess I'll find out.

If you plan to hold for range it doesn't matter how you mount it because you won't be using the internal travel that a canted base allows. Mount it as low as possible and figure out your holds and run with it.

Why were you considering shaping your 0 moa base for a 20 moa base?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Well from what I understand the 20 moa rail helps compensate for the lack of adjustment in the scope. Is this incorrect?

You are kind of correct, it takes internal travel from 1 side to the other side. Basically it will allow you to DIAL out to further range, but it will make it difficult to zero on the other side. If you plan to use the BDC none of this matters. All of this is strictly for folks dialing range.

I have to ask a question, and I'm not trying to be rude, but wouldn't it have been easier to get a scope with more internal travel, better glass, and better function, better warranty, and cheaper in the first place? Did a shop tell you that this scope was a good idea?

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've had a lot of optics over the years and nikon has always given me the most bang for the buck. It's as simple as that. Never had a complaint about a Nikon, I've had plenty of complaints about every other brand of optic I've ever had.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've had a lot of optics over the years and nikon has always given me the most bang for the buck. It's as simple as that. Never had a complaint about a Nikon, I've had plenty of complaints about every other brand of optic I've ever had.

Fair enough, there are worse companies out there, as well as a quite few better as far as return on investment. Your issue is not so much a "brand issue" as a "wrong scope within the line issue". 40 MOA of internal travel would be your first complaint with Nikon in my book. A 4-16 zoom range should have closer to 80 MOA of internal travel than 40 MOA in that price range.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I say low ring it, and shoot it until you are limited by your equipment!

Agreed. You already have the scope you mise well max it out, as its not going to lose much more value than it already has.

As far as better return on investment, there are only 2 brands that do it across the board. That is open to change any given year. Some companies stand still every year, some companies take a turn for the worse, and some companies get better every year. You really have to follow the market to keep up on everything on the market.

Vortex, and Sightron. Inside of most brands there are a few gems to be found, but very few companies do it across the complete line. I've helped thousands of people pick the perfect scope for their use, and I'm yet to come across 2 scenario's that are exactly the same, so their is no blanket answer to the question. Each scenario requires thought and planning.

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx

I've been running a M-308 BDC 800 scope on two of my .308's. One AR and one bolt rifle. I couldn't find a way to make the M-308 Mount work for my Remington 700 AAC. It just sat to high so I opted for Med. rings and couldn't be happier. I prefer the BDC reticle since I use my rifles for hunting and the BDC let's me dial in whatever ammo I am using to give me the greatest accuracy possible. Make sure you enter scope height, mid barrel to middle of scope in the Spot On program as well and if you can chrono your ammo you will get even greater accuracy.

Here's a pic of my 78 year old father In-Law getting some range time before our KS hunting trip. He harvested a great buck and 2 doe all one stop shot's using that bolt action rifle, 100 to 289 yards. I know there's a promo going on right now that includes Nikon scope's 12X and higher magnification.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-308/dave2rifles.png

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The app is the same as the website it just costs $5! From the research I've done it's suppose to be great. I went ahead and ordered some mid hight rings. Thanks for the input guys.

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    Spot On

The app is the same as the website it just costs $5! From the research I've done it's suppose to be great. I went ahead and ordered some mid hight rings. Thanks for the input guys.

Spot On will now work on your iphone or Android phone if you have 3/4G connection or wi-fi. This is all new, no more Jave so the site runs a lot smoother and you don't have ot spend the $5. I still did for my ipad just because at the range there isn't always a network I can get on.

Hmmm, trading my LMT.....I think I'll keep it, it is one heck of a shooter and so much lighter the my DPMS LR-308. Big fun to hunt with as well.

Thanks!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-308/lmt308.jpg

bman940

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    N. Tx
    Using Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program is very easy. Like anything math driven, your results will be more accurate if the info you enter is accurate. That being said, try to chrono the ammo you are shooting, measure mid barrel to middle of your scope so you have theright scope height. All these little things make a difference.

Top Bottom