• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Your thread has been merged with two other similar threads, which belong in the General Firearms forum.

If you have additional concerns please PM me with them.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Actually, I agree with Paul's point. I didn't pay attention to the forum when I commented originally; sorry I contributed to this by posting the links.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Complete failure on the part of the Instructor.

And to a lesser degree, failure on the part of the girls parent(s), whomever was with the girl.

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    How the world sees America

I just saw an article in the British Telegraph newspaper about a 9yo girl who accidently shot and killed her instructor while firing an Uzi on a range in Arizona.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Moderator Note:

You may notice that the posts in this thread are a little "jumbled"...this is because I have merged several threads into one.

Sorry if this results in confusion or difficulties.

Have a great day, INGO!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How to create a thousand anti gunners with one pull of the trigger. Just what we need.

I agree. Why was that child about to fire a full auto. Not sure what instructors intentions were and not trying to belittle him. His decision has ended his life and ruined the girls.
    Also fueled the anti's

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Recently my family took a trip to Arizona and I surprised my boys with a trip to a full auto range. My guys are 17 and 14 and not exactly frail. The instructor knew they were experienced. Still when they first shot he had one hand on the firearm and another on their shoulder, ready to prevent something like this from happening. He also had them progress from single shot to short burst to "spray and pray". It's a simple process but would have prevented this tragedy.

My boys grumbled about it but they understood the need for it, and once the instructor was satisfied they had it under control they were allowed to shoot on their own.

The other thing that I would point out is that working with kids is inherently different from working with adults, and even the differences between a 9 year old and a 12 or 13 year old are huge. I teach a lot of Cub and Boy Scouts and you have to be much more on your guard with the Cubs. I wonder if this instructor had worked with kids that age much?

TontoKowalski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    They decided to show most of the video on the Today show this morning. Everything up to when the muzzled rise swung the barrel to the instructor's head. It looked like he really should not have let her fire off that first burst by herself without him helping. Even if she was told about it, it did not look like she really knew how much it would kick up for her. Even if it was just a leash or lanyard forward grip like on a scorpion or a mac he would've been able to keep it from kicking up while not getting in the way too much.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Taking a new shooter to the range is always a good thing, but it must be safe and enjoyable. Otherwise, it's could be a tremendous disaster that ruins lives. Let this be a reminder to us that teaching responsible practices is one of our obligations. Prayers for the families!

Take someone to the range this weekend and teach them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Taking a new shooter to the range is always a good thing, but it must be safe and enjoyable. Otherwise, it's could be a tremendous disaster that ruins lives. Let this be a reminder to us that teaching responsible practices is one of our obligations. Prayers for the families!

Take someone to the range this weekend and teach them.

We have taught all the young ones in my family how to safely shoot. I always have a good hold on them when they are 1st learning even with a .22. This allows me to control them all the way through the exercise. Muzzle direction etc.
    I continue this way for every caliber and platform.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    If you go on Google Earth this is the place:

35 43' 23.00" N

114 29' 08.53" W

It's a rest stop / gas station / shooting range type place. You can see the built up berms in the back of the place.

Top Bottom