• M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I hate it when my nipples get stuck too

Sorry, had to

I've heated them before (never for 14 minutes though), sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you have to drill the damn things out and run a tap in it to make sure the threads are clear.

If the heat isn't too hot, or is concentrated to a small area, it shouldn't affect the finish.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PHUyL6A.gif

ugoKd.gif

mYJFa.gif

xrU4X.gif

rU2jU8X.gif

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Get a can of Kroil. Heat the nipple with a mini-torch or a soldering iron. The Kroil should penetrate into the threads. If it's very old, it may take a few applications. If a socket will fit on the nipple, use that to turn it. If not, nipples are sometimes cut for an open-end wrench. Use the correct size, not a crescent wrench.

Kroil and heat work great. I've removed barrels from old frames with nothing more than a hairdryer/heatgun and Kroil.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Get a can of Kroil. Heat the nipple with a mini-torch or a soldering iron. The Kroil should penetrate into the threads. If it's very old, it may take a few applications. If a socket will fit on the nipple, use that to turn it. If not, nipples are sometimes cut for an open-end wrench. Use the correct size, not a crescent wrench.

Kroil and heat work great. I've removed barrels from old frames with nothing more than a hairdryer/heatgun and Kroil.

+1

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    don't rush the KROIL .I had a S&W 1st model that had a stuck screw soaked for about a week and it would not budge . Said OH HE**and put together ,about 6 Weeks later thought i give it another try and it came out easy -piece of cake .
    patience grasshopper
    As most millrights think " if it won't work GET A BIGGER HAMMER" is not the way to think

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Get a can of Kroil. Heat the nipples with a mini-torch or a soldering iron. If they are very old, it may take a few applications. If a socket will fit on the nipple, use that to turn it. If not, nipples are sometimes cut for an open-end wrench. Use the correct size, not a crescent wrench.

That's some freaky stuff right there^^^^:)

10thumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2015
    sw in
    You can also soak nipples/breech plugs in diet coke. Whatever they put in that stuff cuts the crud real well without deteriorating the metal.

Top Bottom