• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The 1986 FBI shootout was not at a gun range and I am not saying it COULDN'T happen,

He is referencing the guy that Platt and Mattix killed prior to their last robbery and the shootout with the federal flatfoots.

His name was Emelio Briel. He was target shooting, Platt and Mattix shot him and stole his car.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    For a group of 40 repairmen in my attic, I might have them just post a guard for the rest of the group. :):

If this were to happen I could also see ATM singing "It's raining men" as they came down the steps.

And as far as the Appleseed - lighten up. Take off the tinfoil hats and just enjoy the shoot.

Last edited:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    If this were to happen I could also see ATM singing "It's raining men" as they came down the steps.

And as far as the Appleseed - lighten up. Take off the tinfoil hats and just enjoy the shoot.

Are you saying ATM swings that way, or did. I miss something.
    And like i said this was in no way pointed at appleseed it was just an exercise in getting people to think.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Another INGO Rule of Evidence!

When pro gun people forbid you from carrying to defend yourself=>reasonable range rule.

When anti gun people forbid you from carrying to defend yourself=>violation of the U.S., Indiana Constitution, the Magna Carta, and every L. Neil Smith book ever written.:laugh:

Jdirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Another INGO Rule of Evidence!

When pro gun people forbid you from carrying to defend yourself=>reasonable range rule.

When anti gun people forbid you from carrying to defend yourself=>violation of the U.S., Indiana Constitution, the Magna Carta, and every L. Neil Smith book ever written.:laugh:

I don't think that this is a fair comparison when you could defend yourself with the rifle you brought to shoot! I guess there are any number of examples we could choose to argue our opinion. The bottom line is if you don't feel safe you shouldn't go. I personally wouldn't be feel unsafe without a handgun, but I also wouldn't feel in danger if everyone had a holstered handgun. I'm good either way. YMMV

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    The 1986 FBI shootout was not at a gun range and I am not saying it COULDN'T happen, I don't have a crystal ball. It is pretty low on my butt-pucker meter to fear a criminal wanting to shoot it out at a gun range though.

IMO (and this is JUST my opinion, you make your own house rules) I wouldn't care if they carried while he was doing his daily work since that IS what he does and he (hopefully) has a secure holster and a good method of retention while he performs that work.

The entire issue of appleseed is that you are by most accounts learning NEW positions and might not have the correct setup for it. But mostly it is just a RIFLE event, not a handgun event and there are a lot of people walking around, MANY of them are new to guns and some are learning the Four Rules for the first time. It is not infringing on your rights, you HAVE a freaking rifle! In a shootout I would MUCH rather have a rifle than a pistol. And a .22lr is still better than nothing.

He is referencing the guy that Platt and Mattix killed prior to their last robbery and the shootout with the federal flatfoots.

His name was Emelio Briel. He was target shooting, Platt and Mattix shot him and stole his car.
    This, they also robbed shot and left for dead but didn't kill Jose Collazo, and stole his car as well, both Briel and Collazo were robbed and shot at a shooting range, people are getting their cars broken into at ranges in IN, a shooting range may not be the place for a smart criminal (or is it since people have their guard down thinking they're safe and a MWAG blends in); but same as gun stores being robbed it happens and proves the point just because objects are there doesn't mean you're any more or less safe, it's the people you need to watch out for.

I don't carry so others can feel comfortable, I carry so I can get home at the end of the day and if that means opting out of select activities then so be it.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Personally I wouldn't want to wear a holstered handgun with all of the position changes that go on. Just stick the holstered gun in the side pocket of a range bag.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Within Appleseed, there has been much discussion of the no handgun rule for attendees and of the applicable rule for instructors as well; specifically, that if I'm "line boss" (standing, watching the whole line for safety), I'll be armed with my handgun. Getting down on the ground to help shooters with position or pointers or even to demonstrate a shooting position, I disarm to do it safely... and I know my holster works to prevent NDs. The point is the reason for the rule: If it's not safe for YOU to be on the ground with a loaded pistol pointed straight back behind the firing line, it's not safe for ME to do it either.

Let's be completely clear on this. Appleseed's been running since 2006. We do multiple shoots every month and almost EVERY weekend. We run an exceptionally safe line and have earned the trust of our students and the respect even of some of our detractors... the honest ones, anyway... Even if we, the instructors, don't agree with the rule, we follow it. What's the result? Simple. We've had NO firearms-related injuries in all of those shoots. None. I'd say, "Knock on wood", but it's not a matter of luck.

We're very protective and proud of that record, not because it's a record, but because it means we've had many thousands of shooters and none have left with or caused anyone else to have any extra holes in their bodies. It doesn't happen by accident, but rather by constant and consistent attention to details.

If being armed with your handgun is of such importance to you that being armed with your rifle in the presence of expert marksmen with the ability and will to lay down effective cover fire will not suffice, then I urge you to come anyway. Keep your handgun on you, loaded, and sit back and watch our shooters and listen to the story we tell. To be completely honest, the shooting is a "hook" of sorts, to get people interested in coming out to hear that story and think about what it means. That's why we do "LibrarySeeds", where we schedule a time in a library or other, similar place, where we have no plans of even touching a firearm. We want people to hear, consider, think about, and digest that story.... OUR story as Americans... in a way they may never have done before. You don't have to come to shoot. Heck, you don't have to come at all. That's your choice. We'd sure like to see everyone there, though, and if all the muzzles are pointed in safe directions, we have no issue with them.

Blessings,
    Bill

Jdirt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Unless your rifle is unloaded and grounded.

Got to admit the irony.:D

I agree & I wish it could be different, but on the whole I believe that Appleseed is by far the best thing going right now. I hope that we will see a change in the way people look at handguns. They should see them as the tool that they are, nothing more, nothing less.

Top Bottom