• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This was my Daily driver in the early 80's. I got it stuck once deep in the woods and doing dumb :poop: chasing a buddy in his bad ass jeep in the tight stuff where he was easily going and my rig not so much. But the power take off rear winch saved me further embarrassment from him having to pull me out of my idiocy.
    We had a ball pulling folks out of drifts etc. Until an issue we had when I was cold/tired up all night plowing and was not getting out to crawl under this cats 2WD pick up and hook him up. The snatch strap was draped on the blade rack so easy enough. Told him to hook it and I would pull him out. I have to say it was a surprise when as I snatched him the bed came half loose and the hook dislodged and came screaming through my windshield.
    That was an interesting next 30 minutes.

This thing was a beast. Rolled on 44" MM's
    Thats CKW at the wheel. She loved driving it.
    t9437gf.jpg

Crappy polaroid's.
    GLFef6c.jpg
    Is that second one you in a pose or caught in a disco dance move?

Cool pics.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    WALKED out of work and F-350 needed a jump. Coworker came out and used his dodge truck to jump it while ribbing me a little.

Next day find out he got stuck in a field on his way home along with 2 cop cars and a tractor.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    OK thats a story we need to here.
    Well I don't have all the details...today I was walking out and he was walking in. Also he was talking through a mask in a noisy corridor .
    The last two days have been 17 hour dsys.

When he jumped the F-350 kept threatening to post pics in dodge forums and stuff. Usual gut atuff.

Gist is he turned off plowed state roads thinking unplowed county roads would be quicker. 4x4 behind cars going too slow is my guess.
    I think the 2 cops were locals (small town) and if so they have 4x4 SUVS responded.
    Finally I think it was the first wrecker not a tractor that got stuck...
    the longer he talked the louder I laughed and combine that with the noisy corridor, the mask he was wearing and me slow walking backwards from him cuz I was beat in heavy work boots that were echoing off the walks I missed the exact details.

Years ago we worked together and I got him hooked on INGO. I won't out him, but if he reads thus he may spill all the beans.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My chevys transmission gave out 1.5 miles from home. The thing is a big turd. Love my f250, has helped many others get back on the road.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Tires make more of a difference then a lot of people realize.
    Tried to explain that to my son after I got my F-150 stuck in the driveway Tuesday morning in 6 inches of snow. The sad part is that it barely has an incline. Flipped the 4w switch and drove right out. Just didn't have the traction to pull the front wheels through it.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Now, that is a Truck and a great one to have in these times. Slide Offs, or just Stuck a winch works Wonders.
    Driving the 2 WD Squad on city streets was fine usually but have Responded to slide offs where we got stuck.
    The good thing was If I needed to Call a Wrecker for the Slide Off, the city contract wrecker would pull us out also.
    Today, at least 2' or more on the 3/4 mile wooded Drive, I'm Not even going to attempt it. I could get the Tractor out of the Barn and make a Path but getting too damn Old to Fight the Snow & Cold. Called a Friend with a D6 Cat who will clear it easily. Winter in Indiana

This was my Daily driver in the early 80's. I got it stuck once deep in the woods and doing dumb :poop: chasing a buddy in his bad ass jeep in the tight stuff where he was easily going and my rig not so much. But the power take off rear winch saved me further embarrassment from him having to pull me out of my idiocy.
    We had a ball pulling folks out of drifts etc. Until an issue we had when I was cold/tired up all night plowing and was not getting out to crawl under this cats 2WD pick up and hook him up. The snatch strap was draped on the blade rack so easy enough. Told him to hook it and I would pull him out. I have to say it was a surprise when as I snatched him the bed came half loose and the hook dislodged and came screaming through my windshield.
    That was an interesting next 30 minutes.

This thing was a beast. Rolled on 44" MM's
    Thats CKW at the wheel. She loved driving it.
    t9437gf.jpg

Crappy polaroid's.
    GLFef6c.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My chevys transmission gave out 1.5 miles from home. The thing is a big turd. Love my f250, has helped many others get back on the road.
    All brands will produce an occasional turd. We all know this.

Miles and maint is across the board on "ALL" makes regardless.
    I bought CKW a spanking new 2 door Yukon in 97. Last year of the full size 2 door. Loaded out with the full package. I knew the transmissions of the day were good for 85/95K regardless so I serviced it every year and squeezed 115K out of it. We towed with it and did not baby that rig in the least.
    Normal issues with the Vortec or any other engine. Did the tune up at 95K....belts when scheduled. Water pump at 9oK....and of course the manifold gasket failure forgot the mileage but yes it failed. Put over 150K on the clock and it was standing tall when we let it go.

So how many moles was on your Chevy and what year was it. Cant call out a turd with out more back story.....:):

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Miles and maint is across the board on "ALL" makes regardless.
    I bought CKW a spanking new 2 door Yukon in 97. Last year of the full size 2 door. Loaded out with the full package. I knew the transmissions of the day were good for 85/95K regardless so I serviced it every year and squeezed 115K out of it. We towed with it and did not baby that rig in the least.
    Normal issues with the Vortec or any other engine. Did the tune up at 95K....belts when scheduled. Water pump at 9oK....and of course the manifold gasket failure forgot the mileage but yes it failed. Put over 150K on the clock and it was standing tall when we let it go.

So how many moles was on your Chevy and what year was it. Cant call out a turd with out more back story.....:):
    2014, 143k

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2014, 143k
    7 years old and right on the 2nd level of issues window.
    Pretty common. Even for a Ford.

Question. Have you ever serviced the trans.....?????
    Have you towed with the rig......?????

Just curious. My 04 has 152K on it. We towed a 28' enclosed trailer filled with our race car and support gear. That was north of the rated tow weight on the truck. We beat it up basically.
    We had a set maint. routine that included engine/trans/transfer case and axles. I seriously believe that has added to the duty cycle of this truck.
    Sorry to hear your truck let you down.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Ended up in a ditch on the way to work yesterday morning. Some brain donor decided to add an additional left turn lane on my left side. As we turned he started sliding towards me so I did the honorable thing; drove into the gently sloped ditch while the donor motored off into the snow storm. Upon leaving my new private parking spot I forgot to turn on the 4wd and the tail end swung around until a strategically place sign post prevented me from swinging further.

Nothing a new rear passenger door won't take care of on my 17 Sierra. And a new running board. And a little body work on the rocker panel.

Sad part is that I depended on the "Fully Automatic 4wd" to pull me out of the ditch instead of flipping the switch. Upon flipping to 4 Low it idled itself out of the ditch as soon as I let off of the brake.

I hate technology. (A statement almost as ironic as Direct TV telling me that I had to MAIL a billing dispute to them, not email, MAIL. Stamp, envelope, the whole nine yards. She didn't laugh when I asked her if I needed to provide any carbon copies of the paperwork)
    Having a Sierra in Two Harbors Minnesota I learned to hit that button every time I was putting the truck in drive. The auto function is simply to slow to react and almost never there when you need it. Granted in Two Harbors only US 61 is ever plowed to the pavement and 5 months of the year you are driving on packed snow not a road surface,it is a good day when they have new sand down at stops and curves.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Having a Sierra in Two Harbors Minnesota I learned to hit that button every time I was putting the truck in drive. The auto function is simply to slow to react and almost never there when you need it. Granted in Two Harbors only US 61 is ever plowed to the pavement and 5 months of the year you are driving on packed snow not a road surface,it is a good day when they have new sand down at stops and curves.

Yeah my approach has definitely changed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And chasing the great luck others had can be elusive...

Had friends with nearly identical F350 diesels, both had perfect maintenance with open checkbooks. One was in the shop all the time, sensors, computers, you name it, the other was a champ all the time. Just cannot outguess this stuff...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    7 years old and right on the 2nd level of issues window.
    Pretty common. Even for a Ford.

Question. Have you ever serviced the trans.....?????
    Have you towed with the rig......?????

Just curious. My 04 has 152K on it. We towed a 28' enclosed trailer filled with our race car and support gear. That was north of the rated tow weight on the truck. We beat it up basically.
    We had a set maint. routine that included engine/trans/transfer case and axles. I seriously believe that has added to the duty cycle of this truck.
    Sorry to hear your truck let you down.
    It goes to the shop on a regular basis and gets what ever services are needed at the milage markers. She does not have a hitch.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    Having a truck can be a problem with people asking to use it or it and you both.
    Having a 4WD truck adds another level to this. We are missing the lower front valence on mine due to people not paying attention.
    I keep my 4wd truck a secret. It avoids helping mopes.

Top Bottom