• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Finished up some 300 Blk test loads using IMR 4227 and some Hornaday 125grn SST projectiles.

Once I got past the 17grn mark I had bullet holes touching.

Props to Core Rifle Systems for making things right. I am super excited to load bulk and shoot this baby in now.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Finished up some 300 Blk test loads using IMR 4227 and some Hornaday 125grn SST projectiles.

Once I got past the 17grn mark I had bullet holes touching.

Props to Core Rifle Systems for making things right. I am super excited to load bulk and shoot this baby in now.

I have been a 300 blk reloading fool this year. I have seen massive containers of projectiles just seem to disappear as I load them and shoot them up. 300 Blk. is a wonderful cartridge. When you can take a .30 subsonic and suppressed rifle cartridge and keep 30 175 grn. bullets inside the 8 ring at 25 yrds full auto you have got something. These things make MP5 lovers mad as hell.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Just finished my .300blk 10.5 pistol with arm brace, looking to start a good deer load. Sniper 79, what barrel size and twist rate was that?

Sounds awesome! Let me know how it goes working up a load and if you get a deer. I was going to do a hog hunt but forgot about the family reunion on the day I was planning on leaving so canceled the trip.

I have a Core Rifle Systems 16" 1-8 twist. Factory front sight with a carry handle rear sight working at fifty yards from a bench. I am in the process of loading some more rounds at 17.1 grains I believe. Little Lee factory crimp OAL is 2.100 (don't quote me on that not at my bench right now) all fed and functioned great. Still working on a good way to chop and trim brass.

captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    How far did you work up from? I have loaded the 125 SST at 15gr, 15.5gr, 16gr, 16.3gr, 16.6gr, and 16.9gr but stopped there. Plan to test these on monday afternoon. I felt that i was starting to compress the 4227 at 16.9 and figured I'd stop there for now and see how everything goes in my rifle (8.2 barrel - pistol gas). Also seating similarly to about 2.120 OAL. I will try and get these through the chrono.

How do you feel about compression and pressure as you go higher?
    I would certainly like to squeeze as much velocity as I can out of these loads!

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Sounds awesome! Let me know how it goes working up a load and if you get a deer. I was going to do a hog hunt but forgot about the family reunion on the day I was planning on leaving so canceled the trip.

C'mon... Tell us the real reason...

...Still working on a good way to chop and trim brass.

I say we take another crack at the monster. Now that I have a free bench, we can figure out a way to make it work better.

Garander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Lafayette/Huntington
    Tried out my new .300blk this weekend, loaded up some rounds with components that I had lying around. Used 180g SBT Sierra Gameking with some 16.3C g of H4198. Seemed a little underpowered, would cycle fine but fail to lock open on last shot. Seemed accurate enough though. Covered my 5 shot groups with a dime at 50yds, out of a 10.5in barrel I was happy.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    How far did you work up from? I have loaded the 125 SST at 15gr, 15.5gr, 16gr, 16.3gr, 16.6gr, and 16.9gr but stopped there. Plan to test these on monday afternoon. I felt that i was starting to compress the 4227 at 16.9 and figured I'd stop there for now and see how everything goes in my rifle (8.2 barrel - pistol gas). Also seating similarly to about 2.120 OAL. I will try and get these through the chrono.

How do you feel about compression and pressure as you go higher?
    I would certainly like to squeeze as much velocity as I can out of these loads!

Was a little concerned with compression. If you look close and hold the bullet up next to the case it is real close to the powder but not touching. If you tap the case full of powder on the bench it will also settle some. All seemed ok. Work slow and be safe. I was using RP headstamp brass and some LC.

Not in front of my notes but I worked up like you did from 16 someplace.

Lil Gun would be your best bet on speed if you can find it. I couldn't but managed to find 4227 pretty regular and also load for the 44 mag so that may work out for both.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    C'mon... Tell us the real reason...

I say we take another crack at the monster. Now that I have a free bench, we can figure out a way to make it work better.

Your setup worked great just need to get back down there to do some more. Just got my Little Crow Gun Works WFT in today. Had some graduation money burning a hole in my pocket. Also grabbed a RCBS case prep center and some pills for my 44. Its like Santa came early!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom