No LTCH, but can I carry at the outdoor range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Going to the range tomorrow, and was curious if I can open carry a pistol on my side or not. I don't have my LTCH yet, so I never carry usually (unless on private property with permission from the owner. IE, a friend's place in the country where I shoot sometimes) but since this is a public range, was curious if I was allowed to or not.

Thanks!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    The range may have rules about carrying. Check with the range officer. I believe there is at least one public range that doesn't allow carrying. It also doesn't allow draw & fire drills. So there is no point to carry in my opinion.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    The range may have rules about carrying. Check with the range officer. I believe there is at least one public range that doesn't allow carrying. It also doesn't allow draw & fire drills. So there is no point to carry in my opinion.

Not really for drills or anything. Just taking a couple pistols with me. Would be nice to keep one holstered on me. Plus if I can carry there, would be nice to try it out as I've only carried once and it was on a friend's property for a couple hours. Would unholster it and put it back in the bag with the other one before leaving and getting in the car.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Isn't the range private property? Wouldn't you have permission from the owner since you are being allowed to shoot there?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Henryville State forestry? You'd be ok there when you are actually on the range.

IC 14-22-31.5-3
    "Shooting range" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "shooting range" means an area designed and operated for the use of archery, rifles, shotguns, pistols, muskets, or similar firearms that are fired at silhouettes, skeet, trap, paper, stillboard, or other similar targets.

IC 35-47-2-1 Version a
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Sounds like one more good reason to bite the bullet and apply for your LTCH. I carry at JP and Winamac, there is usually a DNR employee there although he leaves once in a while but is there most of the time. Have never had any comments from those guys. Its typical to see several people carrying at those two ranges whenever I go.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    There is a sign at Wilbur Wright Range that says "No holstered handguns permitted".

I think it's a little inconvenient, especially if I have more than one gun with me and I'm alone. I don't like to lay my gun on the bench while I go check out or change targets if there are others around. So, I end up keeping the gun(s) that I'm not shooting in my box, and just keep the one that I am shooting in my hand the whole time.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Just got back from the range. Had a blast. Learned I'm not that good with my .45 but getting better. Was all over the place at first but got much better towards the end. Wish I could get out there more often, very therapeutic putting holes in paper/cardboard, haha.

Crosely State Park, btw. Down in North Vernon. Lot of folks out there today.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Been there several times and wouldn't like being there if I wasn't allowed to carry... I've witnessed a few things that I didn't like, so stopped going there... I also moved further North.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Anything I should be aware of out there?

Mainly some Good 'Ol Boys messing around with targets that weren't supposed to be used there, not having the basic safety protocol (i.e. - Four Rules) in practice, and wasn't always able to get a buddy to join me out there (watch my back & incase someone got injured) as easily as my current club's indoor & outdoor ranges. Something happens out there, you're on your own in a serious way... Rescue 20 has to go the long way around to get to that range, since the bridge is a no-go, let alone that hill... Could be paranoia, or my training as an EMR / First Responder, or me being observant of my surroundings for safety's sake, because I had some fun times there, but now that I've found a club or two that has a better environment, I won't go back...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I read these threads about DNR ranges and their rules and I continue to wonder why guys put up with them.

As for me, I will never come onto state owned property and jurisdiction to discharge a firearm.

There are so many private ranges that just require membership dues. The range then becomes YOUR private property because you are one of the owners. All these rules that the state boys have, don't apply anymore.

I will stop now. I just don't understand why guys submit to the state just to go shooting.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Like what, exactly?

Anything I should be aware of out there?
    I was at the 200 yard range, and walked down to check my target, and got "hit" in the back with "something", when I got home, I found out that my skin had been "broken", and bled a little..... I can only guess, that I was hit by a ricochet, or something.....

Top Bottom