• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    So. I wake up this morning, and after a little R&R, I decide to go get my nephew to shoot a little bit today. So had a fun and good day shooting, and stopped at the gun shop and the way home to see if he was interested in a trade. Anyways, I am heading down my road and this is what I see as I go to pull in my driveway! Really pisses me off! I know accidents happen. I understand. Thats not what makes me mad. What makes me mad is no note, no info, no nothing. Last year my nephew got ran off the road in the snow and clipped a mail box. Didnt destroy it, clipped it, turned around and went and told the people. I just think its the responsible thing to do. He road the ditch for a while and as wet as it is here they must have been carrying good speed, plus the skid mark in the last picture. Hopefully everyones new year started better, lol.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Rude people these days. I mean how much does it even cost to replace a a mailbox. I know its not much and these people would rather keep driving than do the honorable thing and leave a note so they can pay for it. Guess the bright side is you know the alignment has to be way off on their car now and they probably got a pretty dent. Karma can be a B----

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    That's messed up. Same thing happened to me once but the kicker is that I live near the end of a cul de sac! My mailbox was hit so hard that the post was was shattered all over the driveway. They had to be going crazy fast. I never heard anything from anyone and none of the neighbors saw a thing. :rolleyes:

On another note, I got a call from my daughter one evening saying she drifted out of her lane and took out a mailbox. She was only a few blocks from home and you can never tell how people are going to react so I told her to come home and I would go back to the location with her. No one was home at the time so we gathered up the pieces along with their mail and put it on the porch with a note. We also told one of their neighbors. We soon got a call and had no trouble arranging to replace their mailbox and post. My son and I did the work, but my daughter paid for it.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Had this happen to me earlier this year. I just happen to be home to work out a deal with the reckless teen(texting). His bigger problem was his really mad mother lol. Good luck with it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm on the outside of a gentle curve, and it took almost 18 years for someone to take mine out, but she came to the door and told me about it. On the way out to look, the driveway was so slippery I fell down and slid under her SUV. I said "well, first you break my mailbox, then you run me over." She offered to pay for it, but I needed a new one anyway and declined. I'd've probably been pissed if she'd just run off, but since she fessed up, I was fine with it.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Exactly. Its not the $25 its going to cost to replace it. I think I actually have the old style BIG ones in the garage, Its just come on! Atleast have the decency to leave a note or something. There is a good gash out of the cement. I hope it was an oil pan, lol. I didnt see any headlight shards or anything though. Someone had a fun ride.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    So. I wake up this morning, and after a little R&R, I decide to go get my nephew to shoot a little bit today. So had a fun and good day shooting, and stopped at the gun shop and the way home to see if he was interested in a trade. Anyways, I am heading down my road and this is what I see as I go to pull in my driveway! Really pisses me off! I know accidents happen. I understand. Thats not what makes me mad. What makes me mad is no note, no info, no nothing. Last year my nephew got ran off the road in the snow and clipped a mail box. Didnt destroy it, clipped it, turned around and went and told the people. I just think its the responsible thing to do. He road the ditch for a while and as wet as it is here they must have been carrying good speed, plus the skid mark in the last picture. Hopefully everyones new year started better, lol.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg
    I will say by the pics who ever it was probably needed to change their under shorts LMAO

acersbull

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Osceola
    Used to happen to my dad when I was a kid about once a month. After replacing 3 mailboxes him and a buddy built one out of stepped steel and mounted it on a swivel base buried in the ground and stuck in concrete.
    They caught the kid in the neighborhood the day after they set up the new mailbox. He tried running it over that night. He smacked it with the front passenger side of his front bumper and it swiveled around and took out half of the whole passenger side of his car.
    Dad never lost another mail box.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think there are regs requiring the mailbox be breakaway. My new house is the last house on the road so I'm able to keep it 20' off the road. The driver pulls into my driveway and turns around.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    who ever hit it got lucky that they didnt completely lose it coming out that wet ditch into the driveway. you on the other hand was not that lucky that u didnt catch them. I would look at this as an opportunity to make a better mail box that the next person wont be so lucky. I dont have a house of my own yet but if I did i would make one like this. Take a seven foot section of 6in steel i beam, bury it 4 foot in the ground with concrete. next i would weld a 12wx12Lx6H 4-6guage stainless steel on top. then wrap the bottom in wood. takes bout $200 dollars but will not have to worry bout any baseball bat or car/truck not stopping. The beam will bend to prevent major injury to driver but will do serious damage to the vehicle. I got this from someone near brown county who had this happen several times until he made this one. Make sure if you do this that it will conform to local postal regulations on box dimesions. some places do have them.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Exactly. Its not the $25 its going to cost to replace it. I think I actually have the old style BIG ones in the garage, Its just come on! Atleast have the decency to leave a note or something. There is a good gash out of the cement. I hope it was an oil pan, lol. I didnt see any headlight shards or anything though. Someone had a fun ride.

Six more inches to the right and you'd know who did it because they'd have to have it towed after ripping out the right A frame.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    I think there are regs requiring the mailbox be breakaway. My new house is the last house on the road so I'm able to keep it 20' off the road. The driver pulls into my driveway and turns around.

Not sure on the breakaway part. there are a lot of people around here with the bricked in mailboxes. I live in the county so not sure. Have to look into that.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I thought it would be cool to have a mailbox that would get sucked into the ground if it detected something coming at it greater than mailman speed. That would frustrate the jackwagons that try to hit them on purpose. Have to be pretty smart about what constituted "approaching" though.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I live on a 90 degree corner and coming from the south if you miss the corner you end up on my mailbox. It used to get taken out quite regularly. Now that I "landscaped" around it with a big berm and half a dozen rocks my skid loader barely moved at least I know who hits it....

The last one ended up on top of the biggest rock there

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    that sucks the way it happened, but sadly this is the way people are these days.. i have been at the receiving end of events like this on a few occasions and it is never fun!! this happened to my father twice in one summer. so he decided that instead of a normal 4x4 that went into the gound 2 feet, he would use a 6x8 that went 4 feet into the gound with a concret base. the next summer, someone hit it again and it bent over not breaking, but left the vehicle undriveable (front wheel drive car that had an exploded radiator, bent rim and blown tire, broken tie rod, and shifted the engine in the engine mounts). need less to say he had some words of wisdom for the young kid driving to fast on the curve in the street which pops lived on.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I live on a 90 degree corner and coming from the south if you miss the corner you end up on my mailbox. It used to get taken out quite regularly. Now that I "landscaped" around it with a big berm and half a dozen rocks my skid loader barely moved at least I know who hits it....

thats awesome! its funny how if there is a chance to do some serious damage to a vehicle or personal injury, people probable drive much smarter around YOUR corner :):

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Six more inches to the right and you'd know who did it because they'd have to have it towed after ripping out the right A frame.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

My dad did teh same Landscaping after his yard kept getting rutted up by Kids joyriding with there headlights off. The morning after he put them out there were two cars stuck but no one around. I forget what the police had to say when they showed up.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    I buily my new one yesterday in the snow, lol. Turn out pretty good. Framed in some 1x6, drove a T Post in the ground and filled with QuikCrete. See how it sets up.

Top Bottom