• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    So I am doing a thorough cleaning of one of my dad's old hunting rifles. It's a Remington Woodsmaster model 742 chambered in 30-06. Any of you old timers remember this gun?

I finally came across a copy of the owners manual online and began reading it trying to figure out how to get the bolt out for a good cleaning. I figured that out(had to remove the barrel). So in the owners manual it said "do not oil the chamber or the barrel". I understand that oiling the chamber may cause the cartridge to not grip the chamber then causing more pressure on the bolt lugs.

So what would be the problem with running an oily patch down the barrel?

Do you experienced guys not oil the chamber at all or still just a very light film?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have the later version, the 7400. Mine was one of the first of the "new" 30-06 semi-auto and in all honesty there is not much difference. I have always run a patch of CLP through the barrel after normal cleaning with Hoppes 9 and never had an issue. Of course after the CLP patch, I followed with several dry patches to get everything out.

As for the chamber, I just wiped it with CLP and then a dry cloth. A light film should be ok, or at least with my newer one I never had a problem.

The old 742 and later 7400 were and still are among the best of the non-military style 30-06. I could plink with mine up to 300 yards just using the iron sights and actually hit my target consistantly. Also a very soft shooter for such a large cartridge.

Again, I never had a problem running CLP through the barrel and leaving a light film on all other surfaces.

As for removing the bolt, I can honestly say in the over 30 years that I have had that beauty, I have never removed the bolt for cleaning. A true royal pain!

Can you tell I truly love my Remington????!!!!!!

Top Bottom