No one would ever shoot an OC'er in the back of the head...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well except this guy:

Winston-Salem security guard shot, killed in Greensboro grocery store

Anthony Smith, 51, died at the hospital after being shot around 7:20 p.m. at the Food Lion at 2316 E. Market St. near South English Street. He died of a single gunshot wound to the head, police said.

Smith worked for Guard One and was on-duty at the store at the time of the shooting, police said. Smith was in the store when the armed suspect confronted him and shot him at close range, police said.

The suspect took Smith's gun from his holster and fled the scene on foot, police said. He was last seen heading south on South English Street, police said.

There were no signs of the suspect trying to rob the store or any customers, police said. No disturbances involving Smith were reported or observed inside the store before the shooting, police said.

Look I don't care how you carry I'm just glad that you do. However you need to recognize that there are positives and negatives to your choice. It's crazy how "shouted down" anyone who brings up this exact real life situation as a possibility OC'ers have to contend with. Well there you go, argue against that.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    You are 100% correct, the fact that he had a guard uniform had zero to do with it, matter fact I bet all those Dallas Officers were shot for OCing. Your title speaks volumes of your bias.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Short Story....

Awhile back, the last time that I open carried had a late Teen/early 20 something thug a little too close...

I was in a grocery store on Indy East side-doing the shopping going down the aisles with my Glock 19 in a outside the waist band, thumb snap holster. As I noticed this "Cat" would go down the same lanes that I would, getting closer + closer to my strong side, + the Glock..I would say 4 to 6 feet away from my holster..

After several times of this, I turned to the Dude to ask if I could 'Help Him'....His reply was that he was looking for his Mama???

I told him to look for his Mama somewhere else away from me..he turned back the other way, and I didn't see anymore of him...

You never know, but it DID leave me kind of uneasy???. As said, that's the LAST time I opened carried around people...Bill.

FWIW: The first time this guy did this called for my right forearm to be "Planted" on top of the thumb snap..

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    In this event it was an armed guard paid to OC, this should not go in statistics of OC or CC. He was murdered while duty carrying.

Sad, horrible, but different ball game.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Look I don't care how you carry I'm just glad that you do. However you need to recognize that there are positives and negatives to your choice.

Of course, agreed, please continue.

It's crazy how "shouted down" anyone who brings up this exact real life situation as a possibility OC'ers have to contend with.

Really? I don't think I've ever denied that possibility, and I've debated a few folks on this subject. ;)

Well there you go, argue against that.

If you insist. I have but one question:

Would anyone ever shoot a CCer in the back of the head?

OK, I'm done. That was easy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you display something of value, and the right person see it and wants it enough, you will be targeted as a result. That could be a gun, it could be a Rolex, it could be a wad of cash.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I recognize the pros and cons of how I choose to carry. Including when I CC, and of course, when I OC. No method is absolutely perfect at preventing all crime. My only recommendation is: pick what works for you and practice, practice, practice. Oh, and stop gnashing your teeth when someone makes a different choice.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Reposted from The Open Carry Argument thread (in response to an anti OC article):

"I like how these articles never mention the deterrence factor. Do they think it doesn't exist? When there is research that indicates it absolutely does? Sure, there are scenarios where OC could be bad and there are also times when CC could be bad. If a criminal chooses me, because my gun was concealed and they thought I would make a good victim and they get close and have a gun on me, do I really want to take a chance to draw from concealment at that point? I'd much rather OC and possibly have the criminal find an easier target. I think, as a community, we should embrace carrying of both types and proper training. I think both methods of carry are valid and both have their pros and cons. I carry both ways, depending on where I'm going, what I'm wearing and other factors. I'm all for the JFC movement!"

My point being and along the lines of what other people have posted, you can't be prepared for everything. Prepare as best you can and continue with your day. I choose to OC at times and I choose to CC at times. There is nothing wrong with either choice and there are pros and cons for each. Just carry as you will and let other people make their own decision without gainsaying them.

Awhile back, the last time that I open carried had a late Teen/early 20 something thug a little too close...

I was in a grocery store on Indy East side-doing the shopping going down the aisles with my Glock 19 in a outside the waist band, thumb snap holster. As I noticed this "Cat" would go down the same lanes that I would, getting closer + closer to my strong side, + the Glock..I would say 4 to 6 feet away from my holster..

After several times of this, I turned to the Dude to ask if I could 'Help Him'....His reply was that he was looking for his Mama???

I told him to look for his Mama somewhere else away from me..he turned back the other way, and I didn't see anymore of him...

You never know, but it DID leave me kind of uneasy???. As said, that's the LAST time I opened carried around people...Bill.

FWIW: The first time this guy did this called for my right forearm to be "Planted" on top of the thumb snap..

I had something similar happen to me in Walmart a couple of weeks ago. Some dude followed me in a couple of aisles and kept getting closer to me from behind. I had my arm clamped down over my gun, but when he got closer than I was comfortable with, I turned around and walked past him, making sure I looked him in the eye as I did. He stayed away from me after that. Not sure what the intent was, but the situation was defused and I didn't let it affect whether I feel I can safely OC or not. That said, to each their own. If you don't feel comfortable OCing, then CC and carry on ;)

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you display something of value, and the right person see it and wants it enough, you will be targeted as a result. That could be a gun, it could be a Rolex, it could be a wad of cash.

So that's why I am always broke and don't wear nice things. All this time I thought it was because I was poor. Apparentlt it's just me being more aware and observant in my SA. Sweet!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why is it that so many people want to tell other people how to behave and act?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Why is it that so many people want to tell other people how to behave and act?

I don't. In fact I can list plenty of advantages for OC. Easier access to your weapon, some increased deterrence factor and to some degree probably a "normalization" effect for the public though probably somewhat offset by those with negative reactions, and in some states it gets you out of the need for a permission slip. Heck if I were in one of those I'd OC all the time to avoid paying the tax for my natural right. I just get fed up with getting yelled at for bringing up any drawbacks as if they don't exist.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't. In fact I can list plenty of advantages for OC. Easier access to your weapon, some increased deterrence factor and to some degree probably a "normalization" effect for the public though probably somewhat offset by those with negative reactions, and in some states it gets you out of the need for a permission slip. Heck if I were in one of those I'd OC all the time to avoid paying the tax for my natural right. I just get fed up with getting yelled at for bringing up any drawbacks as if they don't exist.

Realistically the drawbacks have been discussed before. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. Ad Infinitum.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Do you feel that those who OC are not aware of these "drawbacks"? Do you feel that they are not paying enough attention to these "drawbacks"? Are you hoping for solutions?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Realistically the drawbacks have been discussed before. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. And before that. Ad Infinitum.

And will continue to be. Not an issue. Discussion is the reason forums exist.

Same thing happened to an IPD officer some years ago. He was in a convenience store on duty, in uniform, and a guy walked up behind him and shot him in the back of the head. Fortunately, the POS gun was an old .22 short revolver and the bullet didn't penetrate the officer's skull. The POS guy didn't survive the ensuing gun battle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom