• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I have sent a few emails to two gun stores inquiring about a gun that they had and have received no responses. Is this normal not to reply to a customer who may be interested in purchasing one of their guns? In both cases I had looked at one of their guns at a show and had a couple of follow up questions. Since they were not located in the city I live I thought I would save on gas and time with asking via email. Are stores just so busy selling that they do not need to be concerned about online customers?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    There have been a few instances where I've emailed an individual about a gun I saw online that never bothered to respond. I just went with the assumption that it's a sellers market right now, and they really didn't need to bother with responding. I will say this though, if a dealer/person doesn't have time to shoot me a reply that takes maybe two minutes, then I have no use for them.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Everything gun related is a total mess these days. Not an excuse for things like this, but it seems to me "screwed up" is now the new normal.

I want to go gun shopping again and actually have something to look at. Stopped by the LGS yesterday, there were as many customers as there were firearms in the cases. An exaggeration, but not by much..........
    Oh well................

Edjer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know I'm painting with a broad brush, but I've yet to have a positive encounter with anybody at a gun shop in person or on the phone. It seems that they're all clueless (or just don't care) about how to deal with customers in a good way. Frankly, emailing them never even crossed my mind after the experiences I've had, I doubt most of the gun dealers I've dealt with even care enough to check their email inboxes with any frequency.

I'm fortunate to have stumbled upon an FFL who lives near me. He spends time answering my questions and educating me on firearms. I spend my money with him buying guns from him in his kitchen.

I'm hopeful that once the firearms and ammo freeding frenzy subsides as soon as the Administration manufacturers the next constitutional assault, gun dealers will realize that folks like us are their lifeblood. Maybe attitudes and customer service will improve when guns and ammo aren't flying off their shelves!

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I have had the same experience, usually from smaller gun stores. I really think they are OBE ... overwhelmed by events. Be patient with the LGS they have people waiting in line at their counters, long holds with nics, in the hunt for scarce supplies to sell, etc.

PS. I do not work at a gun store.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Most small gun shops are really not equipped to deal with internet sales, inquiries, etc. For every 20 phone calls about a gun a shop gets about a gun, there may only be 1 potential buyer. For every 50 emails they get there may only be 1 real buyer. So many shops take the approach that phone calls are a waste of time, and email inquiries are a total waste of time.

Honestly after spending a good amount of time in a gun shop 4 years ago during the last Obama gun panic/buying spree, IF I HAD A GUN SHOP, I would probably unplug my computer and disconnect my phone.

Not trying to be rude. But realistically these shops often have waiting lines when the doors open in the morning with people throwing cash at them trying to buy guns, they really don't have the time or resources to deal with 100 emails a day asking about guns.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Why not call? You can never be sure your email doesn't get put in with the spam or accidentally deleted. Also some people are really slow checking email. I don't understand why you'd rather get on here an complain instead of making a phone call.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I placed an order with Galati International back in August for a couple of AR15 barrels. In December I finally got tired of no response to my emails and they would not answer the phone.
    I finally got to talk to a person, after literally dozens of attempts, and they told me that my order was still back-ordered. I told them I thought 6 months should be sufficient time to fill a back-order for two barrels. They told me they had no idea when they would be able to fill my order.

I cancelled that order, and placed an order with Model 1 sales. Two months pass and in the interim my credit card expired. I tried emailing, and I called every day, one day I made no less than 35 attempts to call. They would not answer their phone. Just a steady busy signal.

Many, many attempts to email but to no avail.
    They will not complete this sale now, because they have expired information for my credit card.

I can see the smaller gun shops being overwhelmed. I can even understand being inundated by orders.

What I don't understand, and will not patronize, are businesses set-up to do business on the internet that just plain ignore prospective patrons.

Both of the businesses I mentioned above make their money on the web, yet still feel they can ignore customers. Neither will see more of my money.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Most small gun shops are really not equipped to deal with internet sales, inquiries, etc. For every 20 phone calls about a gun a shop gets about a gun, there may only be 1 potential buyer. For every 50 emails they get there may only be 1 real buyer. So many shops take the approach that phone calls are a waste of time, and email inquiries are a total waste of time.

Honestly after spending a good amount of time in a gun shop 4 years ago during the last Obama gun panic/buying spree, IF I HAD A GUN SHOP, I would probably unplug my computer and disconnect my phone.

Not trying to be rude. But realistically these shops often have waiting lines when the doors open in the morning with people throwing cash at them trying to buy guns, they really don't have the time or resources to deal with 100 emails a day asking about guns.

Well said.:yesway:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Best thread comment.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013

I would not have sent and email if they had not provided an email address. If a company does not want to receive requests or inquiries via phone or email or message board then why waste your time setting up an email or message board to receive requests. I totally understand if a small business is not capable to handle inquiries via the internet but then they should not set themselves up to receive them. It is just bad customer service and pisses people off. I understand that emails can go into spam folders also but a business that does not do a quick review of their spam folder each day or week is not doing their business any favors either.

I did place a call yesterday to a lgs and waited 10 minutes for someone to pickup after I was placed on hold. I finally hung up. The problem with a phone call is that the person calling does not know if there are 10 people waiting in line for service and if I was one of those people I would not apprceiate them taking a call and putting that person in front of myself for service. So an email says I want to do business and respect your time and do not need an answer this minute. But I can wait a day or two. It has been over a month for one request and 1.5 weeks for the other.

I did not want to name names as I do not know the issues going on at thoses dealers and would not want to do them any injustice as their server may be down or the person who handles their internet service may be in the hospital.

The purpose of post is not just to complain but to see if others are having the same issue as it sounds like they are. Secondly if there are some dealers reading these posts which I assume there are, it would be good to let them know that people sending emails as inquiries are serious customers.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    With the wealth of knowledge to be had, via the interweb and various firearm related forums, why on Earth would pester a LGS owner/employee with questions.

Do your own research, the only thing you should be asking a LGS owner/employee is if the item you are looking for is instock, can it be ordered and the price.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    With the wealth of knowledge to be had, via the interweb and various firearm related forums, why on Earth would pester a LGS owner/employee with questions.

Do your own research, the only thing you should be asking a LGS owner/employee is if the item you are looking for is instock, can it be ordered and the price.

Actually the question was regarding a gun they had. I don't think the internet could answer a question about a specific gun a specific dealer has in hand. Most of the time I perfer the LGS and do appreciate their knowledge on guns. I do my research and if the question was not specific about a specific gun I could go to a big box store and get any gun and they would be glad to order it. And their internet response it good. I kind of like giving business to the small dealers but you make a great case for not wasting time with them and buying for price alone from the national chains. Thanks for the advice.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

I get your points, but if I'm emailing a gun dealer, do I need to send a picture of the Benjamin Franklins laid out on my couch to get their attention? What if I lay out a ridiculous number of Benjamins, and Ulysses S. Grants, would they notice then?

I can understand not wanting to waste one's time with tire-kickers, but I'd have all the time in the world for people who have money and the desire to spend it for something which I have, and until I could separate one from the other, I'd have to treat them all as the latter type and not the former, if only to spare myself some embarrassment in ignoring someone with interesting pieces of green-black cotton-fiber paper rectangles, or better yet, Krugerrands in hand.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Actually the question was regarding a gun they had. I don't think the internet could answer a question about a specific gun a specific dealer has in hand. Most of the time I perfer the LGS and do appreciate their knowledge on guns. I do my research and if the question was not specific about a specific gun I could go to a big box store and get any gun and they would be glad to order it. And their internet response it good. I kind of like giving business to the small dealers but you make a great case for not wasting time with them and buying for price alone from the national chains. Thanks for the advice.

In your original post, you noted that you had handled the gun at a gunshow that the GS had on display. If the price was to your liking, you should have bought it then.

Also, I am not advocating that you should, or should not, buy from a "big box store". That said, "big box stores" have resources that some small GS will never have, so, if you prefer to try and conduct your shopping with a GS, you must understand you will need to factor in on the best method a small GS has to communicate with possible customers. Email is not it, phone calls are only slightly better, so that leaves FTF in store comms.

I can only assume that you expected the GS to respond to your email, same day, and then try and negotiate a price, for a customer that they have never seen or know? Sir, with all due respect, your asking a lot for a small GS, especially one that is a good distance from you that you are likely never to use again.

I suggest you find a GS that is closer to you, make yourself known to them, frequent them even if your not really buying anything. Then, when you are serious about a purchase, the LGS will be more helpful in getting what you want.

Everyone is demanding gold star customer service, but only wanting to give lead level common sense as a customer.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    It is hard to get them to answer the phone let alone reply to emails. I feel the shops are doing the best they can and I am OK with knowing they are focusing on the customers who drive to their shop.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have sent a few emails to two gun stores inquiring about a gun that they had and have received no responses. Is this normal not to reply to a customer who may be interested in purchasing one of their guns? In both cases I had looked at one of their guns at a show and had a couple of follow up questions. Since they were not located in the city I live I thought I would save on gas and time with asking via email. Are stores just so busy selling that they do not need to be concerned about online customers?

If I gotta have something, I will pick up the phone and call. If they are busy, I will call again...and again. No reason to e-mail other than to lose the chance of getting it to a person who called with a cc number or physically stopped into the store.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    In your original post, you noted that you had handled the gun at a gunshow that the GS had on display. If the price was to your liking, you should have bought it then.

I can only assume that you expected the GS to respond to your email, same day, and then try and negotiate a price, for a customer that they have never seen or know? Sir, with all due respect, your asking a lot for a small GS, especially one that is a good distance from you that you are likely never to use again.

I suggest you find a GS that is closer to you, make yourself known to them, frequent them even if your not really buying anything. Then, when you are serious about a purchase, the LGS will be more helpful in getting what you want.

Thanks again folks for your input. Bigcraig, you are right that I did handle the gun at the gun show. I went with a friend looking for his first hand gun. I was not really looking for myself. I being fairly new to semi auto hg myself I did not take note of every nuance about the gun when I did find one that drew my interest. I was not ready to make the purchase. I went home and did the research on the gun and was interested in it so I sent an email asking some specifics about that gun. In the email I agreed to his price that he had posted at the show. At the show I had asked if those were his standard prices or show prices. So I knew he had his every day price listed. I am not much in trying to pinch a little more out of a dealer and thought the price was fair and indicated that in my email that I was interested in buying it.

FYI - the first dealer I sent a request to I drove to his shop two weeks after I sent a request and did buy a gun for my wife from their shop. The salesman was very helpful and did a great job. Email never responded to.

Both dealers when I spoke to them at gun shows said they had plans of opening up shops in the Fort so they plan on coming to my home town to build a business. It seems to me that I reaching out letting them know I am located where they are planning on opening up businesses would be a good way to start a relationship.

The post was not so much to point to a specific dealer or my poor handling or knowledge of all the guns I looked at at a gun show, but just what other's experiences were when trying to get dealers to reply to email requests. There are obviously two view points shown, one is don't bother the dealers unless you have cash in hand and go to them and the other is receiving good customer service if the dealer provides their email one would reasonably expect them to reply to emails. That is a silly idea on my part I guess.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I received a reply from a dealer today for one of my emails today!!! 11 days later but I still received it. Yes, I think I will buy a gun from them a CZ 75 BD.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Every business runs their business diffrently. Personally The max time I allow a email to not be responded to is 7 hours. Somtimes the response may be "I'll get back to you" but in 7 hours you will have somthing, or I didnt get the email.

But as said earlier, my main business is web related

Top Bottom