• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    I have a guy that asked to purchase a firearm off of me. He said he has just recently moved to Indiana. He has no indiana drivers license or license to carry, but he has an OH license to carry and a work ID that shows him working at a local university in Indy. I told him I would prefer waiting until he got his license, but I was wondering if there were other ways to get around this, to prove that he is an indiana resident?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    As has been mentioned there are other ways to prove it. But I would not take the risk just to sell a gun. But I usually am in the minority I also wont risk drinking and driving and I don't speed then complain about getting speeding tickets. So there you have it, how much are you willing to risk?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    As has been mentioned there are other ways to prove it. But I would not take the risk just to sell a gun. But I usually am in the minority I also wont risk drinking and driving and I don't speed then complain about getting speeding tickets. So there you have it, how much are you willing to risk?

+1

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No and no. If you can't verify the he is indeed a resident of Indiana than you are in violation of the law as written.

Go to a FFL and have them do a transfer.

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    The best advice is let a FFL handle the transfer for you. There will be a small fee normally but you are assured that all the laws have been followed and a FBI-NICS background check has been performed. Any other method of sale could place a liability on you as the seller. In the case you describe, it seems a bit "fishy". Unless he has government issued identification stating he is a resident of Indiana, a FFL can not legally sell a firearm to him. My advice - use a FFL or tell the fellow to come back with his Indiana driver's license.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    If he really wants to buy a gun in Indiana then he should FIRST get an Indiana drivers license. When I moved back to Colorado I didn't even consider trying to purchase a gun before getting my CO. license. The day after getting my license I was out shopping.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    No ID no sale. I also like to see a ltch pink card. It takes so little time and effort to get an ID and ltch. When in doubt, DON'T. Sell to someone who has his/her act together.:twocents:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I don't know if an Ohio resident can purchase in Indiana but I do know that I would do a transfer in this situation or keep the gun. USDS in Greenwood does $15 transfers and it would be worth the $15 in peace of mind and to know what was going on with the guy.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I thought the law was that you must ask them if they are a resident and if they are a proper person. Where does it say that you must demand that they prove it?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I thought the law was that you must ask them if they are a resident and if they are a proper person. Where does it say that you must demand that they prove it?

No, there is no requirement to ask or prove either.

Unless you know or have reasonable cause to believe that either of the above conditions are not met, there is no violation.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    No, there is no requirement to ask or prove either.

Unless you know or have reasonable cause to believe that either of the above conditions are not met, there is no violation.

Ok so in this scenario would the potential buyer stating that he does not have an Indiana drivers license because he recently moved here count as reasonable cause to believe that he is not an Indiana resident.

I'm not condoning engaging in a deal that seems to be anything other than completely legit, it's just that everyone else is boldly stating that if he can't prove that he is an Indiana resident that he cannot buy the gun, and that doesn't seem to be completely true.

Top Bottom